Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a new handgun from Taurus. My options are the PT92, PT1911 and model 689. I'm also considering a Shooters Arms Military 1911 and a Norinco factory enhanced 1911, though not made from Taurus. What would you recommend among the 5?

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've always liked the idea of a revolver for the home. Not as many rounds but no chance of a jam either. A nice 4 or 6 inch 357 works well. You can also practice with a less expensive box of 38 special.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've always liked the idea of a revolver for the home. Not as many rounds but no chance of a jam either. A nice 4 or 6 inch 357 works well. You can also practice with a less expensive box of 38 special.
I agree.

If I was going with a laser probably the PT92 because they have the guide rail laser available last time I checked.

I know people that swear the .38 wad cutters are the best self-defense round in that caliper range for close in defence.

What I like about the revolver is if you switch out the ammo a few times a year and keep it in a draw or safe, the gun stays clean and ready to fire and a FTF (ammo problem) is easy to clear, pull the trigger again.

I know it is hard to believe, but, for some reason criminals around here are more intimidated by a revolver then a pistol and might actually rush someone with a semi-auto.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I learned a long time ago from a gunsmith I new, that using a .38-spl revolver and having it loaded with "wadcutters" was a wicked load for any so called buglar or mugger that might get into your home or use there tactics on the street;).

Johns favorite was a little .38 Chiefs Special loaded with his wadcutters! It fit right into his pocket and you would never know it was there really. He kept it in a soft leather pocket holster someone made for him.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Just my opinion, I'd get tired of lugging around a P92 or a full sized 1911 everyday. I pretty much leave my 1911's and Combat Commander at home and carry a G23 or M19 Smith snubbie.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a PT99AF... which is the adjustable sight version of the PT92. It was a fantastic shooter until the rear sight blade split in half while shooting it. I have been trying to get a hold of Taurus customer service ever since... in fact I am on the phone with them right now, been on hold for 27 minutes and counting.

Others have had great experiences with customer service, but me, not so much.

On a lighter note, I have a 6 inch model 66... it is my favorite handgun. Its far too big to carry, but ive had no problems with it ever. From my personal experience id stick with their revolvers, as they seem to be more reliable and steer you clear of their nightmare customer service.

EDIT: After 54 minutes on hold, I finally got a response. They told me they cannot help me with the sights, nor had any sights to sell me. They gave me Novak's phone number and said "good luck". At least the lady was polite.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,256 Posts
If you have never carried a gun for a living you may not realize how heavy a full size handgun can weigh on your belt. If I know I am going to be in a bad area I may carry a large capacity pistol but 90% of the time I am armed with a J frame s&w loaded with +P 125 gr HPs and a couple of speed strips. A small revolver or pistol in a waist band or pocket holster is much lighter and concealable. I don't feel outgunned by any means.

·
Registered
979 Posts
EDIT: After 54 minutes on hold, I finally got a response. They told me they cannot help me with the sights, nor had any sights to sell me. They gave me Novak's phone number and said "good luck". At least the lady was polite.
Even if you do not own the firearm, if you call the CSR line and pretend to have a problem, it will pretty much tell you how you can expect to be treated if one shows up. Thankfully I never had a problem with my Rugers.

You can use this technique for many things including calling politicians. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Sorry not trying to rain on your parade but my wife a few years ago purchased a new Taurus Millenium and it was awefull at the range. The clip world fall out everytime a round was fired. The the store mgr. gave her another one to try out at the range and it was just as bad, with jamming sessions and the clip would come loose after ever other magazine load.

Bye Bye Taurus and welcome home the Glocks! Never looked back after that week and the wife loves her model 23 and model 27. I have a Glock SF .45, 3 model 20's now. One has a 6" after market barrel for the woods. The others I use as my CCW tools.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After swimming in flood water while in my usual work clothes yesterday, I know what pistol I should carry. A stainless steel pistol that can fire even when wet. Here in flood country, a pistol like, I think, is a must have. Do you guys think that the PT92 can do this? Or how bout a stainless 1911? I have no issues with weight. Honestly I think I can carry any handgun as long as I have a shoulder holster on. And since I always wear a jacket or a thick long sleeve shirt everyday, I don't think that a pistol in a shoulder holster would be noticed by people I interact with.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Of the ones you listed, I would take the PT1911.

For myself, I would get the new 44 Special snubbie they make in stainless. Lightweight and packs a good punch with Buffalo Bore ammo.

Since you work in wet conditions, I would suggest a Glock in your choice of calibers. They do not rust easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts