Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new pistol. Looking a .357. But im torn between the Taurus tracker or the Ruger 66.
The prices are about even, the Taurus has a 7 round capacity where as the Ruger has 6. ill be using primarily as a side arm while hiking and camping. 4-6 inch is available in both so it really comes down to longevity. Is Taurus really an inferior brand and if so is one extra round really worth it??

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,330 Posts
Well, longevity while hiking and camping doesn't sound like a discussion of longevity to me, but hey this is your show.
IME when talking about high volume fired auto loaders, yes Taurus is inferior. Of the top of my head I can't say the model number, but wasn't a loss leader line. Anyway I bought the Taurus early summer and by late Summer had a tad over 1,000 rounds of 40 S&W fired. The slide had some significant peening and wear around the slide/barrel junction. That had to go down the road. So then a Ruger came home, same lot of ammo. Only when the business of fall hit, that pistol had just over 2,500 rounds fired. No obvious wearing, definitely no peening anywhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would probably only pass about 200 rounds through it a year, even then id like it to last long enough where i don't have to worry about going to a smith every few years. I hear tell of some timing issues with the Taurus revolvers and the notoriety of there "life time warranty". but dollar for dollar idk if one extra round is worth the worry.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have a tracker 44 with couple thou rounds thru it...none full house, "ribber" grip nice. Trigger is quite smooth now. I have several Blackhawks and a Single-Six. The SS has about 30,000 rounds thru it, perfect function, still tight..a .357 with at least above 7-8000 rounds, lot's full house, perfect. I have a couple of Super BH in 44...all manner of loads thru them, no hiccups. If you purchase a SP101, GP100, or Security -six...well, Ruger just builds tanks.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Is Taurus really an inferior brand and if so is one extra round really worth it??
For a two hundred round a year shooter, it likely won't make a big difference. If you handload your own ammo, you can drop back a bit on loads, and dramatically increase the life of your handgun.

That said, the cost of either spread over a decade, is irrelevant, so the odds favor the Ruger, as most are more than happy with them. I have several, all good. I have a couple BH/SBH single actions that have sustained decades of regular use with mid-level cast bullets with barely a sign of wear.

For a hiking revolver you might want to consider a SP101/4". Five shots is hardly a handicap, but the size is a plus. It would be hard to top one of the new Blackhawk .357's for durability. Either way, it's hard to justify inexpensive when considering a lifetime investment. Less than a modest beer budget.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Good choice! My Rugers are all built like tanks, and they SHOOT! Son in law bought a Tracker but with it's ported barrel it was literally a pain to shoot with ear protection (mandatory anyway ) it still slaps you with concussion!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Before you buy, you should heft both and determine which one fits you better. My experience with Taurus revolvers has been mixed, but the newer ones seem well made. For a trail gun that is carried a lot and fired little, weight and fit should be considered.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Short answer, yes!

For camping/hiking I can't see the need for more than a few shots, let alone 6 vs 7. For durability & stopping power I'd go with (my favorite) a Ruger 2 3/4" speed six 357 mag, or similar Ruger or S&W 357 revolver in 3-4". Caliber wise the bottom rung for me would be 40, 357, 45acp, 10mm & go bigger if desired & as able to hit well with and willing to tote the extra weight. A 22 has actually been the most useful for me, but when camping I'm thinking more of bagging a rabbit or grouse (when in season of course :rolleyes:) than for self defense.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Smith and wesson... That's my vote lol. I'm a big s&w guy, I'd recommend the extra money for a 686. But out of those two, ruger hands down. I'm not big on taurus. I've seen a lot of broken ones. More than I have smith or ruger combined.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The S&W 686 is definitely on my list of love to have guns but for twice what Rugers are running i just cant bring my self to fork out the cash for one

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I have always been a COLT or Smith & Wesson man, when it came to revolvers! However, I did purchase a .480 Ruger in a TAURUS model a while back. It just looked a whole lot better than the RUGER pistol. I don't plan on trying to put 10,000 rounds through the pistol, only hunt now and then with it OK.;)

I know that the RUGER is heavier built and has a much better track record. Then again this Taurus I brought home is not as accurate as my Colt Python nor does it feel as good in my hand or the model 29 I used to carry with me in the hunting woods. The price was right on the Taurus and I do prefer it's looks over that RUGER, which is not a pretty pistol period.:(

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
The S&W 686 is definitely on my list of love to have guns but for twice what Rugers are running i just cant bring my self to fork out the cash for one
You won't regret the extra cash. I love my 686+. It's a 7 shot model, it's more accurate than my gp100 was and I love the way smith revolvers look. The L frame smith and wesson is just as solid as any other .357 out there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Go with the Ruger! My one and only experience with Taurus was not favorable.

A buddy of mine sent his 40 year old Ruger revolver back for a minor repair. When it came back it was like new. They buffed it out, replaced some parts, and it was like a new Revolver. He only waited a couple of weeks.

I send my brand new Taurus back to fix a problem that was a problem from the factory, and it took two trips back and about 4 months for me to get it fixed. When I called the Customer Service, it was awful, and I could not get any satisfaction when I called them for a follow up.

Do what you want but my vote is RUGER!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
For camping/hiking I can't see the need for more than a few shots, let alone 6 vs 7. For durability & stopping power I'd go with (my favorite) a Ruger 2 3/4" speed six 357 mag, or similar Ruger or S&W 357 revolver in 3-4". Caliber wise the bottom rung for me would be 40, 357, 45acp, 10mm & go bigger if desired & as able to hit well with and willing to tote the extra weight. A 22 has actually been the most useful for me, but when camping I'm thinking more of bagging a rabbit or grouse (when in season of course :rolleyes:) than for self defense.
While I see your point Nachogrande, I'd sure like to know where you find grouse in central Florida! If you can tell me that area, I'll be right down!:D

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd go with Ruger..IMHO you pay more for the Smith and Wesson name than than you do in function. Kinda like Ford/Lincoln...the Lincoln costs more, but for what? That said every Smith I own sits in the safe, I love looking at them and shooting them, but I carry Rugers in the woods.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Of two Taurus and a Rossi, only the Rossi remains and it would go at the drop of a hat if the opportunity came about!
Thirteen RUGER hand guns live in my safe.

Reactions: IDTrapper

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I send my brand new Taurus back to fix a problem that was a problem from the factory, and it took two trips back and about 4 months for me to get it fixed. When I called the Customer Service, it was awful, and I could not get any satisfaction when I called them for a follow up.
!
Sounds too familiar.

One of the shops in the area that does a very high volume of sales, hinted that Taurus had by far the greatest number of product returns for defects, and the slowest response on repairs. I waited for a M69 S&W and it was the right thing to do.

Saving money on a firearm that may work when you need it seems like a bad choice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts