Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any seen the ads for the new 480 Ruger round in a Taurus? Thay company is really going after the Ruger fans! Sounds like the 480 is really going to take off. Any comments?
Mark

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, as a longtime Ruger owner and shooter, but this cartridge is the anathma of everything William B. Ruger built his company upon. That is practical arms at affordable prices. The .480 Ruger is neither practical, in the sense it does something other rounds don't just as well or better, nor affordable. I believe this cartridge is a "final salute" to Mr. Ruger, who is in worsening health. It's a shame it had to be something I doubt he would have ever considered himself.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bill, I'll defer to your opinion, but Ruger Firearms Inc. don't make too many marketing decisions. When you figure that probably less then.01% of the gun owners participate in talk forums, that leaves a large audience to sell to. Our opinions are a drop in the bucket. Personally I have no use for anything over 357 mag size. I pack a shoulder weapon for accuracy and power when the going gets that tough.

·
Banned
169 Posts
No offense but I'd stick with the Ruger. Personal preference. Sean

·
Registered
49 Posts
When the .480 was brought out with Hornady ammo using 325gr at 1300fps I didn't see much point to it. Yesterday I was looking at Jeff Quinn's test report where he was shooting a 405 gr. cast at 1300 out of the Ruger and I could start to see why some folks might like it.

Will it kill anything the .454 Casull or .475 Linebaugh wouldn't - no. But some folks just want to throw the biggest chunk of lead they can, and the .480 lets them do this without breaking the bank on a custom gun.

Shooting is a hobby and sometimes the funnest part is doing something you've never done before even if you don't absolutely need to do it. I'm looking forward to shooting one of these just to see what its like to launch .475 400gr+  from a revolver.

I'm also curious how the Taurus revolvers in .454 have been holding up to the heavy loads. Never been a Taurus fan but the proof is in the shooting and they've been out for a while now.

I don't know about the pressures involved but it seems like the.480 would also make a nice moose/elk/bear round from a compact lever gun.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
254 Posts
The load data on Hodgdon's site shows it in the 50,000psi range. It's more then some people thought it would be from the 6shot. Ruger's aim may also be to cut down on the conversion work on his single actions. This is a subtle way of doing that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If for no other reason, we now have options. Who would have thought we needed a 40 S&W in the world. After all, we did have the 10mm. Low recoil loads were abound. The 480 is an inexpensive big bore. Seems as though brass will be cheaper than 475 Linebaugh.

Options. Just my &#36.02.  
Mark

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mark, to further add, where's the 10mm today? A few diehards cling to it. Lighter loads are less intimidating and people practice more with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out gunblast.com They did some load testing on the 480 Ruger. With a 405 gr hard cast lead bullet they were getting 1300 fps, 45/70 any one? and with Honaday 325 gr xtp 1500 fps.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I'm no fan of the .480 Ruger, but then again, I'm somewhat entrenched into my routine at times.   I see it as the perfect solution to a non-existant problem.   We already had a very good, proven .475 Linebaugh... all Ruger had to do was start making them!

Now, for the practical side, leaving my bias aside.   There will be a rush to the .480 because it is so much more affordable than the .475 Linebaugh, and folks who have been reading the gun mags and have a hankering for bigger bores will buy them.   That's why we now have a bullet specifically designed for none other than the .480 Ruger.   (See my post in handguns and our bullet selection).   There is a market for the .480 Ruger, and one that will probably grow rather quickly with all the gunwriters needing a new soap-box to stand on... there will be some excellent buys in the used gun market on traded in .44's!

Well, better go make bullets before I get off on a hot button!   After all, it's only my two cents worth!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marshall,
I respect everyone's opinion. Remember when there was no need for a mini-van?:) I am getting off the subject. I did not expect this many replies to this comment. The point of the comment was not to harp on the 480, but to point out how much Taurus is in the game. Everybody thought the Raging Bull in 454 would blow up and now it is getting high marks from some incriminating minds. Who else is ready to build non conventional handguns? I don't own a Taurus, but that might change soon.
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts