Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this rifle and zeroed the iron sights over the weekend. I plan on making several accessory upgraded as time goes by. A 600m scope, a fore grip with internal bipod, case, perhaps a laser, I may also get a 300 BLK kit when they become available. I am relatively new to the mechanics of shooting. I grew up around guns and hunting & I did 4 years in the army but I never really understood or investigated things like barrel twist and bullet grain. Now that I've spent 2G on a rifle however I find myself wanting to know all I can in order to utilize my investment to it's highest potential.
One of my first questions is this; when I took it out and zero the iron sights I used cheap 55 grain .223 ammo. Now that I am doing some research I find that for my tavor with it's 1-7 barrel twist, a 77 grain 5.56 is the optimum ammo. I zeroed at a 25m indoor range. Am I going to be off when I shoot 77 grain at greater distances? Am I going to have to re-zero the rifle?
My first and most important purchase for this rifle will be the scope. I ain't to proud to admit that I know nothing what-so-ever about scopes and what specifications to scrutinize when making a scope choice. Any advice in this area is welcome.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Bullpup rifles are a little funny with optics. But I like everything vortex makes as far as magnified rifle scopes. A strike eagle is a nice 1-6 power scope that will give you fair accuracy out to about 300 yards or so. The Tavor isn't really supposed to be a long range platform. It shines in the CQB role, hence being a Bulpup design.

A Tavor carbine is a Israeli infantry weapon built for high reliability. I'm betting they have CHF chrome lined barrels, so accuracy might be a little less than stellar. I can tell you the triggers are mushy a gushy and not so great. Don't be upset when the rifle shoots 1.5-2" groups at 100, as that is what it is intended for.

All that said, bullets in the 60-77gr area are going to work best. I like the 69gr SMK's. The cheap 55gr or 62gr mil surp style ammo is great to stockpile and is accurate enough for any SHTF scenario. The accurate .223 and 5.56 ammo is not cost effective for most people to stockpile or buy in bulk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting

This is the first I am hearing of the potential problem with a chrome lined barrel. How exactly does that affect the accuracy?

Concerning the zero, I guess what I am asking is do I need to re-zero using the 77g or is the zero attained with the 55g at 25m still going to be the same?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
This is the first I am hearing of the potential problem with a chrome lined barrel. How exactly does that affect the accuracy?

Concerning the zero, I guess what I am asking is do I need to re-zero using the 77g or is the zero attained with the 55g at 25m still going to be the same?
At 25m you shouldn't see much of an impact change from 55gr to 77gr ammo if any at all. There would definitely be some at 100. But not a whole lot. I just got done testing loads in my Rem 700 and I had a 2" difference in Point of impact.

Chrome lining leaves minor inconsistentcies in the bore, which can lead to a slight decrease in accuracy. The chrome lining is really helpful with cleaning, maintenance, and barrel life which is part of why most militaries use it.

Your chrome lined barrel may very well shoot excellent groups at 100 yards, but in general, a non chrome lined barrel will always be more accurate. Now don't go trade your rifle or trash it lol. There is nothing wrong with chrome lining. People all over the AR15 market as well as the AK market love chrome lined barrels. Especially CHF ones, which I believe is what your Tavor has. It is really popular for all types of black rifles.

The best thing you can do is go shoot the rifle off a bench if you can. Use sandbags or whatever you can to support the rifle on the front and back as much as possible and remove as much human error as possible. Fire a couple 3 or 5 shot groups at some targets with various ammo's and see what you get.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

Your info on the chrome was quite enlightening. I am actually considering testing with a gun vise to ensure absolutely no movement in order to obtain a quick and perfect zero when I get a scope. I have been doing more research on aftermarket parts the last day or so & a fancy scope has moved down my list of priorities. I may settle for a cheap scope for now and focus my finances on other aftermarket upgrades like raised rails, upgraded triggers & curved butt pads. I can always save for a fancier scope later. As a black rifle designed for CQB I may not ever be able to turn it into a nail driver, but I'm going to make it as close as one can be.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Geissele makes a trigger for the Tavor. I've heard some pretty good things about it from users. If it's anything like their AR15 triggers, it's going to be great. If it were my setup, I would go with a Red dot sight from Aimpoint, Eotech, or vortex. Aimpoint is no doubt the best for the money with the PRO sight ($400 ish), and the vortex SPARC AR red dot is also pretty nice for the money ($200 ish). Vortex optics are, in my opinion, the best bang for your buck. I run red dot sights on all my black rifles.

I may very well have to look at getting myself a Tavor one day. I really want the new Galil ACE that IWI is bringing in, but the Tavor is a really cool rifle in its own. I think you went the right way with the X95. The controls on it are a whole lot nicer if you are used to an AR15 platform. My problem is that vision in my right eye is failing and I don't know if I need left handed or right handed ejection yet. We are trying to see what we can do to save my right eye!

Edit: And good luck! Good thinking with the vice, I hope you get some excellent results with your accuracy testing. You did pick an excellent rifle system sir!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts