Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there shooting 5.56mm out of there .223 encore barrels. I am wondering what kind of results you get from the 556 ammo. i go back and forth with my my 223/556 ammo in my ar-15. can any one help with this ?????????

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Basic rules are to join in, have fun, and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

Not sure what you are asking? 5.56 NATO and .223 cartridges are the same size when new, since .223 is just the commercial version of the round which was originally developed for the military. The 5.56 NATO chamber is a little bigger and has a longer freebore than the commercial chamber, so pressures will run a percent or two lower in the NATO chambers but not enough to cause concern. The reason for those larger dimensions are to ensure good feeding in self-loading and particularly in full-auto weapons and also to accommodate specialty ammunition that would jam in the throat of a commercial chamber. I have yet to run into any specialty ammo that won't fit in a commercial .223 chamber, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

If you use a commercial chamber, as in your Encore, just check that your NATO round doesn't jam in the throat, leaving rifling marks on the bullet. If not, it should be good to go. You can check by coloring the bullet with Magic Marker, chambering and removing it without firing to look for rifling marks on the bullet near where it meets the case mouth.

There SAAMI spec Piezo transducer pressure limit for .223 in psi is lower than the NATO spec for 5.56 NATO, but the older copper crusher unit limits for both are about the same. The European CIP does not give any pressure difference in its limits for the two rounds. AFAIK, both are therefore safe in either chamber except any long NATO specialty rounds you might encounter, as I described above.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nick gave good info as usual but keep in mind what twist your rifling is in your encore. I believe its 1-12 and your ar is probably 1-9. 1-9 gives your ar the ability to stabilize up to 69gr bullets(75gr if your lucky) while the 1-12 will limit you to the 55gr full metal jacketed bullets encountered with 5.56 nato rounds (the 62gr fmj will be iffy). If you want the best sucess of getting a round to handle in both of your rifles get a bullet that is 55gr and smaller. Welcome to the forum, these guys here are probably the best group on the net if you need help. And if they don't know they will direct you to someone who does. Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts