Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to black powder,bought one today for 200,is yhat a good price or not,has musket nipple,does not have brass like most hawkens i seen,it is 54 cal,seems like a good shooter
did i pay too much fot it,gun is in real good cond,:)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Is $200.00 a good deal? If your happy with it, then it is a good deal. Are you sure it is a Thompson Center rifle? When you say is has not brass, I am wondering if it is a Renegade or a Lyman Trade Rifle. But anyway it should be a good shooter. Check the bore of the rifle and be sure to clean it good. It should be a real good rifle for you. Post a picture of it is you have a chance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tc 54

yes its a thomson center,marked on barrel,has adjustable sight,bore is good,they had a cva plainsman for 160,i thought yhe tc was better,also it has the double triggers

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am not doubting it is a Thompson Center. And you made a wise choice picking the T/C over the CVA. Although I think I have or had a Plainsman once and it shot well. The Hawkins is their fancy model. The Renegade and New Englander are their plain models. Normally it will tell you the name of the model on the barrel unless it is really old. BUT no matter what it is, you have a good rifle. I bet if you load 90 grains of Pyrodex RS in it and a patched .530 ball it will shoot real well. You made a good purchase IMO. Have fun with the rifle and keep us posted how it shoots.

That is my T/C Hawkins... notice all the brass on it.

That is my Renegade with a Green mountain .58 caliber barrel on it. That is a great shooter and notice the lack of the brass.

That is my Pennsylvania Hunter model Thompson Center. Notice it is plain and has a single (excellent) trigger.

Just something to compare yours to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tc 54

i believe it it is a renegade model by tc,it is a older model.still is it a good gun for price

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I use a .54 T/C Renegade caplock, and find it not only accurate, but h**l-for-stout as well.

It's a very nice-handling rifle, indeed.

Good luck with yours - You certainly bought it "right".

·
Registered
480 Posts
Better take care of it. They don't make Renegades anymore. The Hawkens will have a brass butt plate, trigger guard, nose cap, patch box and ram rod tubes. The Renegade will have a black butt plate, trigger guard and ram rod tubes, along with no patch box or nose cap. The Hawkens will have a 28" barrel and the Renegade will have a 26" barrel. You most likely have a 1 in 48" twist barrel, which will shoot conicals as well as balls. My .54 T/C Hawkens is a tack driver with 380 grain Lee REAL bullets and 400 grain T/C Maxi Balls. I've heard nothing but good things about the Renegade. You got a good deal. Where else can you get a big game rifle for $200? Try to get some FFg Goex powder and replace that musket nipple with a Spit fire or Hot Shot #11 nipple. Real black powder will ignigite better than any of those sub powders. Musket caps are more expensive the #11 pecussion. That .54 caliber will take care of any critter in North America. Congradulations!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tazz
I have 4 traditional muzzleloaders 3 are T/Cs. 2 Hawkens and 1 Renegade. My 50 cal. renegade is not only my favorite rifle it is my most accurate, It shoots conicals jut as well as patched round balls. Enjoy your new rifle.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
new to black powder,bought one today for 200,is yhat a good price or not,has musket nipple,does not have brass like most hawkens i seen,it is 54 cal,seems like a good shooter
did i pay too much fot it,gun is in real good cond,:)
tazz,

Wish I would have only paid $200.00;)
Have you shoot her yet? I am going nuts trying to get out to shoot mine, but the weather and work are working against me:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts