Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have experience with one of these? I was given a new one some years back and gave it little thought. I have too many guns(can,t believe I said that). Realised I'd seen no mention of these guns on the blogs and wondered why. Shoots good, accurate at 100 yds. Kind of a pain to clean but sure is handy in the brush. Any impressions appreciated, Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Diamond Jim
I have a .54 Scout rifle and a .50 Scout pistol, both of which I really like. Mine is a 'Cody Scout' which has an octagonal barrel 1 in 48 twist. They were a special run for K-Mart I think. I have shot only PRB in either and they are accurate, been using reduced loads for target work and haven't worked up a hunting load. As you said, not as easy to clean as newer models of inlines but I like it better than my Omega.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, Lefty41. Mine is a "Texas Scout" 1 of 500. Wonder if they just changed the name every so often? Yours have a barrel band or forearm cap? Blue frame or Casehardened? Sorry 'bout the Qs but trying to get a better handle. Mine is 50 cal oct. 48" twist. It likes 85g of Goex FF with a PRB. No clue where the father-in-law got it, He was bad about just dropping by with a gun and refusing to take them back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Diamond Jim,
The "Texan Scout and the "Cody Scout" were both special runs of 500. I talked with a factory worker who knew about them and he told me they used the barrels from the renegade and that is why ours are a 48 twist. The regular factory offerings were 20 twist and changed to either a 32 or 38 twist in the 2nd or 3rd year offering. Mine has been using Goex FFFg w/ PRB. Brass forearm cap, Casehardened. Got to run right now, will talk more later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New user, just found this forum. I've got a .50 cal TC Scout Carbine, Gander Mtn Special, 1,000 were made. Stainless steel barrel with barrel band, blued receiver with big bucks etched on both sides. 18" barrel. Leupold 2x7 scope. I've killed many deer with it over the years. Love it. Book says 100 grains max load, most accurate 90 grains. 90 is all I've ever shot, using FF. Very accurate gun, I now use the hollowpoint PowerBelts at 240 grains or whatever it is. Good bullets. I tried TC bullets but didn't like them at all because they just passed through with minimal damage. No blood trail. The PB's expand very uniformly and leave a nice blood trail.

I started with Pyrodex. I found that when I touched the shot off, the cap went off, and I could carry on a complete conversation with my friend before the Pyrodex went off. No good. I called TC, spoke to a technician there. He said to use blackpowder, they just couldn't say that in their literature due to liability reasons. BP goes off instantaneously. Wonderful.

Except if it's cold outside, below 32 let's say. I have missed a number of deer because of this. I called again and asked if I could drill out the nipple just a little. The guy went ballistic and begged me not to. Blowback and safety considerations, so I haven't done that.

Tomorrow I will be using FFF for the first time, my gunsmith told me I would definitely get better ignition in cold weather than with FF. I hope so. Great gun, deadly accurate, handy dandy, I love it. I hope the FFF does the job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
aksf,
Thanks for sharing that info with us. Do you know the rate of twist with your 18" barrel? i hadn't heard of the SS variety, wonder how many other variations are out there. Did yours have a name ingraved on the barrel other than just "Scout"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aksf; welcome to the forum

18" ss.interesting about the diff models. Mine says "Texas Scout " w/ a star in a circle and an outline of the state in another circle. Large letters. (cover top flat). I'd like to know about the scope mounts. Mine having a Renegade barrel on a scout frame might affect what I'd need for a mount. I know nothing about how TC scope mounts look or mount, like to see a pic. Jim

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
T/C has come up with some pretty questionable designs and the Scout was probably the worst of them all. I reluctantly took one on a trade and from over 50 years of muzzleloading that thing was the misfire, hangfire all time champion. How could anyone imagine it could possibly be otherwise. The fire from the cap has to run through a 2" long tube with a tiny orifice at the far end before reaching the powder. And they were right about one thing, you had best not drill out that orifice else you will very certainly get blow back in your face. Ask me how I know.:D
It's just a terrible design which can't be fixed. I still have that thing in pieces in my shop, I'd never consider sticking anyone else with it. Being a bit of a pack rat I thought I might find other uses for the parts but so far I have not. I might someday use the barrel to make a pistol of conventional design but otherwise it's just scrap metal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, don't know the rate of twist. I dug out my factory booklet that came with the gun, and it does not mention the rate of twist. Reading here it seems as if that's important to a lot of people, but I'm shooting 245-gr hollow-point PowerBelts, lead bullets with copper plating to minimize fouling I guess. I like the bullets, after having tried some others which did not work well for me because they just passed right through the deer with minimal damage and no blood trail. I have recovered 13 PowerBelts over the years and they all have very uniform expansion. I like it. I have never shot round balls w/patches, I suspect rate of twist might be a factor there. Here in MD scopes are legal, I am not particularly into replica stuff, I just want more hunting time and so I bought this gun for blackpowder season.

The barrel has the usual Thompson/Contender markings, New Hampshire, it also says: .50 caliber Gander Mtn. Grey Scout. Left side of the receiver has a big buck kicking his heels up in some grass, and 883 out of 1,000. Meaning only 1,000 of these guns were manufactured. Right side of the receiver has the same deer etching. And it took a long time to sell them, as I only bought mine after watching the price decline over 1 1/2 years in the old Gander Mtn catalog, finally figuring the price was never going to get lower. I can't remember exactly, I may have paid a bit less than $300, I think they were asking $450 originally but my memory may be off.

I have a Leupold base with Leupold 2x7 scope. Clean installation. I can take the scope off the base with the little levers - can't remember what they call that type of base but it works. Absolutely no loss of zero, every time. Just look in the Leupold catalog if you want a scope base for your Scout. As I said before, a very very accurate gun - a straight shooter, I sight it in at 100 yds. I think I had said max load was 100 grains, but it depends on the bullet weight, my max load might be 110 grains, but the book says most accurate load is 90 grains and that is all I have ever shot. I see no reason to change, or experiment, in my gun.

Coyote Joe - sorry to hear you hate your Scout Carbine. I have admitted I have lost deer due to misfires - more than once. The point is, to live within limitations of the tool. That is how I look at it. A person needs to be absolutely careful and mistake free in making sure all moisture is removed from the barrel after cleaning. That includes both sides of the "web" (where the nipple fits against). The nipple itself must be absolutely dry inside. There can be no oil residues whatsoever in the ignition and powder area. I'm sure you know all this.

A Scout nipple is what, 1" long? Not 2 inches. Still, it does seem to me to be temperature sensitive, which I mentioned above. Sorry to say I saw no deer during the last 2 days of firearms season, which means I'll have to wait until Nov '11 to test whether my FFF powder will solve that problem as opposed to FF. My Scout has given me flawless performance in October and most of November when it is above freezing temps. It is too good, too comfortable to use, to give up on it, I just try and live within its limitations. It is an excellent 100 yd or less deer gun in the woods, where I am sitting and waiting for the deer to come to me. But yes - I admit I wish I could retrofit it to accept 209 primers.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
"Live within the limitations of the tool"? Now that is funny! As I said, I've been shooting traditional muzzleloader for 50+ years, beginning with old originals before there were replicas on the market. I have no problem living with flintlocks or cap lock traditional muzzleloaders. What strikes me as funny is that T/C threw tradition to the wind when they brought out the Scout so wouldn't you think they might have improved on 500 year old technology rather than producing something grossly inferior to the flintlock? Why on earth would anyone tolerate consistent misfires and hangfires when good traditional muzzleloaders don't have those problems.
I would bet you are having hangfires every shot and don't even know it, you just think that's the way they are supposed to work. If you hear the crack of the cap a split second before the boom of the charge, that is a hangfire and steps can be taken to avoid in any well designed muzzleloader but is a fact of life with the scout due to idiotic design. They have designed in "limitations" which never before existed. Sorriest piece of crap ever foisted on an unsuspecting public.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Boy, I had to look up the Scout to see what it was. I had forgot these guns.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It's best forgotten, I'm sure T/C wishes they could forget it, I know I do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CoyoteJoe - Instantaneous ignition at any temp above 32 degrees. Below that, sometimes a problem.

So have you tried FFF powder yourself? Like I said, I didn't get a chance to touch off a shot with it at the end of the season.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Watching the posts here I see a lot of "hangfire and misfire" mentioned. When I started shooting mine I noticed the "curious" flame channel. Trying to be polite here!. I figured it would plug up everytime I fired it so I use an acetylene torch tip cleaner between shots, never had a hangfire. sometimes its hard to get the cleaner thru the channel, proving its needed. Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tc made a flop

I bought one, and sold it, i learned how to make it work, but on damp days if there was any sute at all in the channel, (hang fire), 16 years later i saw one for sale so i bought it, sold mine for 100$ & bought back for 90$ so i aint hurt,n ,
A new barrel put in with a speacial extended breech ,goes all the way back , the plug accepts a shotgun primer, presto , i have a nice western style stock and one super strong breech reciever, i shoot old sabots with the wings cut off flipped backwards on top of 80 grains pistol triple 7, a round ball cuts holes at 75 yards, thats all i need for my big hands and scpoe ready for poor eyes, balanced nice too

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one, and sold it, i learned how to make it work, but on damp days if there was any sute at all in the channel, (hang fire), 16 years later i saw one for sale so i bought it, sold mine for 100$ & bought back for 90$ so i aint hurt,n ,
A new barrel put in with a speacial extended breech ,goes all the way back , the plug accepts a shotgun primer, presto , i have a nice western style stock and one super strong breech reciever, i shoot old sabots with the wings cut off flipped backwards on top of 80 grains pistol triple 7, a round ball cuts holes at 75 yards, thats all i need for my big hands and scpoe ready for poor eyes, balanced nice too
i'd sure like to see a picture of that. i just bought a scout in .50 calibre as much for a wall hanger as anything and it there's a way to convert it i'd do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"CoyoteJoe
T/C has come up with some pretty questionable designs and the Scout was probably the worst of them all. I reluctantly took one on a trade and from over 50 years of muzzleloading that thing was the misfire, hangfire all time champion. How could anyone imagine it could possibly be otherwise. The fire from the cap has to run through a 2" long tube with a tiny orifice at the far end before reaching the powder. And they were right about one thing, you had best not drill out that orifice else you will very certainly get blow back in your face. Ask me how I know.
It's just a terrible design which can't be fixed. I still have that thing in pieces in my shop, I'd never consider sticking anyone else with it. Being a bit of a pack rat I thought I might find other uses for the parts but so far I have not. I might someday use the barrel to make a pistol of conventional design but otherwise it's just scrap metal "

Sorry to disagree, I have had one since they came out and now own 2. The only time I have had a hangfire issue was when I tried to use pellets. Making certain the flash hole is clear is the key. easily done with a quick visual inspection. Also while cleaning do not use excess solvent or oil. To be certain it is clear I pop a cap through it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts