Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post, I hope its in the right spot.
My buddy and I both have the TC Venture 300WSM rifles (I have had mine 2 years) and have been very pleased with it. We both have this issue.

If you close the bolt, fully load the magazine (3 rounds) and re-insert, then try to rack the bolt, the bolt hits the top cartridge and does not allow the bolt to open. You have to slightly release the magazine, then work the bolt. The bolt probably could be forced open, but it would take excessive force.

On my rifle, if I only load 2 rounds in the mag, the bolt will almost freefall (with gravity) all the way open. So it is definitely related to the 3rd round in the mag. (very little compliance in the mag with the 3rd round installed)

I did a test with some new brass (unloaded, unsized) just to be able to watch what was happening. With 3 cartridges in the mag, I could force the bolt open, but it put a dent in the top cartridge. I would probably not be able to notice this if the brass was fire formed.

My friend contacted S&W they wanted his rifle. He agree only to send his magazine. He got a new magazine, but it did nothing to solve the issue.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
It sounds like you should insert the magazine with the bolt open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts