Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have an idea as to what is causing the carrier on a Ted Williams 30-30 Win to not bring the cartridge up to the chamber?  My brother-in-law gave me an this old leveraction and after a bit of research found out it is the same as the Winchester 94 but made for Sears and Roebuck.
The bore is in great shape and the general appearance of the carbine is good with very nice figuare in the buttstock wood.   Just need to find out what the problem is.    

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
What exactly is happening in your levergun?

Is the cartridge not being lifted to the chamber because it is hung up in the magazine tube and won't release to the carrier, or is the carrier not actuating on the downward stroke of the lever?

More info, and with some of the great minds here we might be able to dope this thing out for you!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall, the carrier is not actuating on the downsward stroke of the lever.  It will 30% of the time with the carbine not loaded but will not actuate at all with a cartridge on it from the mag.

Any thoughts?

RW

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Check two things..First lookes at the lifter and see if it is stamp or milled. The satmp one were bad about getting bent and binding. Next check if the mag tube is all the wag and butting against the reciever. Some of these had short mags and the rim of the cartridge would get hung in the gap.
It sounds to me like it needs to go back to the factory for a tune up.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Another thought...As I remember, there is a stud on the side off the lever that catches the lifter on the lever downstroke and raises it. If that stud is worn or broken the lifter will not snap up.
Best Regards, James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts