Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a Harrington & Richardson 45-70, but I know very little about it.  What kind of range would I have.  would it be good for elk and bear?

I would also oblige any input on Harrington & Richardson.  They are pretty cheap.  are they any good?

·
Registered
59 Posts
With proper loads the .45-70 will kill just about anything you can hit, but there's the rub. It's rainbow trajectories make it a 150 yard proposition for most shooters, IMO.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
BT   I had an H&R in 45-70.  I had them put a scope mount on instead of the sights...Their sights are mediocre at best.  It was a good little gun, not a tackdriver, but worked fine for deer,moose,bear or bigger.
  One thing I will say is the rifle was a THUMPER!!! I hope you like to experience the recoil in such a short rifle, it's more of a push than a slam.
 I ended up selling mine and bought a Sharps Repro (EMF).  the Emf is in the trading post section actually right now.   Good Luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 45/70 is my most favorite cartridge.With proper bullets it can easily take any animal in the world.The 45/70 can be real accurate especially if you reload your own ammo.The range is limited to about 200 yards with 300 grain bullets and 150 yards with heavier bullets.The 45/70 kills game quickly without excessive meat loss.The 45/70 is real fun to shoot especially with light cowboy type loads.I have no experience with the H&R rifles.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have an H&R ultra in .308 and it shoots pretty good. I have not shot at an animal at long range yet but I am sure it will do fine. I have seen a 45/70 in H&R in a local shop. I hope this does not mean people let them go easily. If this is your 1st rifle I would say go ahead. If you realy want a single shot in 45/70 for some reason, go ahead but if you have other guns in other calibers and you want a 45/70 I would hold out for a repeater. Now that was a real opinionated opinion.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've hunted with a 45-70 bolt action for 20 plus years. The cartridge is more accurate then you and your rifle will ever be.
Way back, when men were men and the ladies were grateful for it, 45-70s were used in 1,000 yard competitions. The trajectory is does not define accuracyas much as it defines the shooter. It's not problem as long as you know it and allow for it.
There's an advantage to aiming your shot, firing the shot, setting the rifle down and walking over to the canteen for a cup of coffee and then watching the shot fall. You learn patience, perservernce, follow through, .........
Once you get used to the cartridge you'll love it.
Jim

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The 45/70 is a great caliber for both shooting on the range and for hunting. It's just the ticket for hunting the Eastern Woodlands.
I know nothing about the H&R Handigun,but I have an H&R reproduction of the Officer's Model Springfield Rifle. I bought it in 1973,when it first came out,and have used it a lot. It is a fine looking gun and shoots just fine,also.
Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been using the handi-rifle(SB2) in 45-70 for the last nine years, and its absolutely my favorite rifle.  Mine will shoot 300 grain JHP's and the Barnes originals into 3/4"-11/4" at a hundred yards all day long.  My poor ol' Ruger's been sittin' on the rack gatherin' dust(makes me feel guilty, sorta).  So far killed 13 deer with it, all one shot kills, except one that required a finishing shot.  That was an 8 point Buck I had to shoot "up the tail" since that's all I could see.  Bullet traveled along bustin' the spine until it exited just past the hind quarter.  Didn't ruin an ounce of meat.  The SB2 versions are a lot stronger than the older H&R's and will handle some pretty strong loads.  NEF now chambers the 450 Marlin in the SB2.  Both Garrett and Buffalo Bore rate the Handi-rifle for their 45-70 "thumper" loads, and I've been shootin' the 300 grainers @ 2200 fps with zero problems.  There are currently two sites you can go to to learn more about the rifle/cartridge.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nef-singleshot/ has around 500 members that shoot H&R's/NEF's/W&H's.  Its on yahoo.groups, which sucks, but its worth it.
Marlin has just started an H&R forum(they now own them) at www.marlinfirearms.com.  Click on Marlin Talk and then H&R.  I grew up shootin' single shots and don't much care for "stutter guns", so whether you like 'em or not will depend of your own mindset. The Handi's are a resonably priced way of finding out.

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Joel pretty well summed it up. The NEFs are terrific guns for the money. But their open sights are usually pretty poor. I have a Marlin 1895G as well as an NEF in 45-70. The NEF is very accurate and points so easily. It would make a terrific brush gun if you are comfortable with single-shots. As for distance, all you have to do is practice and know your trajectories. I killed an elk this year with my Guide Gun from a verified 260 yards. I would expect recoil from the NEF. Mine has an after-market muzzle brake and a Pachmayr decelerator pad. With 300 and 250 grain bullets-- the latter are the Barnes X bullets -- the recoil isn't bad at all. The 405s have a good push to them. Anything heavier I've only shot in the Guide Gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts