Shooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
Statistically speaking, there are more wrecked .243 Win than all other calibers combined. Most are traced to re-sized .308 Win. brass.
VERY accurate ammo can be made from re-sized brass, but be SURE of neck dimensions first and NEVER force the bolt closed on a round that's too tight.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Statistically speaking, there are wrecked .243 Win than all other calibers combined. Most are traced to re-sized .308 Win. brass.
VERY accurate ammo can be made from re-sized brass, but be SURE of neck dimensions first and NEVER force the bolt closed on a round that's too tight.
No worries there. My days of re-sizing brass from one cartridge to another are likely over, but I long ago learned the importance of neck-turning and checking dimensions.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The purpose of nitrogen is to exclude water vapor, not oxygen. That is to prevent the moisture from condensing and fogging the lenses, and from corroding the internal metal. Yes, this wine preservative ought to do that, too. I have a can of "electronics duster" from wal-( the place that doesn't sell ammo anymore) that contains fluorocarbon. It should exclude moisture, but I wouldn't trust it not to attack rubber gaskets. But, it works great to blow stray powder out of my progressive press's primer mechanism!

Reactions: CoyoteJoe

·
Registered
264 Posts
At one time, I had every Browning Low Wall. One was in .243* and at the time, I was doing a lot of shooting "sage rat" (Belding ground squirrel). I loaded up a bunch of Sierra 55 gr., which cronied out at over 4000 fps. Lots of red mist!

*equipped with a Leopold 4.5 s 14 scope, but I don't remember the model.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
At one time, I had every Browning Low Wall. One was in .243* and at the time, I was doing a lot of shooting "sage rat" (Belding ground squirrel). I loaded up a bunch of Sierra 55 gr., which cronied out at over 4000 fps. Lots of red mist!

*equipped with a Leopold 4.5 s 14 scope, but I don't remember the model.
I love the look and feel of those low walls. Very nice.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In 2015 I anticipated a Wyoming antelope/mule deer hunt via boot leather and set out to acquire a "walking" rifle. I found a .243 Sako with a Mannlicher stock and put a 2x7x35 Leupold on it...total weight with sling and loaded is just over 8 pounds. I worked up a load using the now discontinued 90 gr Speer Deep Curl bullet ...the rifle shoots at about an inch @ 100 yards. The Wyoming trip included a buck antelope at 200+ yards and a medium sized Mule deer buck at about 250...both animals dropped at the shot. Subsequently have used the Sako in northern Wisconsin tree stands for whitetails and the longest any of them have run after the shot is about 30 yards. With reasonable placement that.243 is good for up to 200 pound deer sized critters.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
In 2015 I anticipated a Wyoming antelope/mule deer hunt via boot leather and set out to acquire a "walking" rifle. I found a .243 Sako with a Mannlicher stock and put a 2x7x35 Leupold on it...total weight with sling and loaded is just over 8 pounds. I worked up a load using the now discontinued 90 gr Speer Deep Curl bullet ...the rifle shoots at about an inch @ 100 yards. The Wyoming trip included a buck antelope at 200+ yards and a medium sized Mule deer buck at about 250...both animals dropped at the shot. Subsequently have used the Sako in northern Wisconsin tree stands for whitetails and the longest any of them have run after the shot is about 30 yards. With reasonable placement that.243 is good for up to 200 pound deer sized critters.
Nice! I bet that full stock Sako is a beautiful rifle, too. Thanks for sharing.

The mention of the Deepcurl makes me wonder how well the 90 grain HotCore would work. I've always liked those in 30 cal.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Speaking of Speer bullets, as much as I like the Sierra 85 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King bullets in all things 6mm, I still have just over 10 boxes of the Speer 105 gr. Hot-Cor Spitzer, and it is a wonderful bullet for game over 300 pounds like big mulies, black bear and elk.

In the larger cased 6mm's, the 105 gr. Speer makes for an excellent long range sheep bullet, and like everything else, with proper bullet placement, 1-shot is all you need!

·
Beartooth Regular
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Speaking of Speer bullets, as much as I like the Sierra 85 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King bullets in all things 6mm, I still have just over 10 boxes of the Speer 105 gr. Hot-Cor Spitzer, and it is a wonderful bullet for game over 300 pounds like big mulies, black bear and elk.

In the larger cased 6mm's, the 105 gr. Speer makes for an excellent long range sheep bullet, and like everything else, with proper bullet placement, 1-shot is all you need!
How does that 105 stabilize in 1:10 twists? I remember the Speer manual listed it, but it is a pretty long bullet, and I always wondered about accuracy. I can't remember if I tried it when I had the 6MM Rem or not.

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
IDShooter-- The 105 does just fine in 1-10 barrels. That's kinda the standard bullet for swamp deer and hogs. About 1970, I found the 85 gr. Sierra HPBT and have taken many more deer and hogs with that bullet than all others combined.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
How does that 105 stabilize in 1:10 twists? I remember the Speer manual listed it, but it is a pretty long bullet, and I always wondered about accuracy. I can't remember if I tried it when I had the 6MM Rem or not.
It is a long bullet, but I have always had good luck shooting it in rifles with a 1-10" twist rate.

·
Registered
368 Posts
IDShooter: My practice is to experiment at the front end of my relationship with a new rifle/caliber but once I find a load that works for me/my rifle I tend to lay in the components and stay with a known commodity rather than pursue an endless search for perfection. I have not tried the 90 gr HotCore so offer no insight. I did however obtain a bag full of the Deep Curl seconds from Rocky Mountain shooting supplies that will likely last longer than I will.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 243 is responsible for turning me from a Jack O'Connor disciple into a believer in Elmer Keith. Don't get me wrong a 243 will kill deer dead. But here in NY where land parcels are small and most are posted, if a deer runs a hundred yards in the wrong direction you may not be able to recover it. Case in point. I shot a 10 point at 40 yards with a 243 100 grain Remington corelock. The deer ran an 80 yard circle crossing into posted property then back and died within sight of my stand. Upon field dressing I found the jacket had seperated and lodged in the heart. The lead continued on destroying the lungs. There was no blood trail at all as the bullet did not exit. The story ended well but there was much that could have gone very wrong. I am now a firm believer that large slugs at lower velocity leave large entrance and exit holes with copious blood trails that tend to be very short. Ray Charles could follow these trails. I have very few animals that travel more than 20 yards and can eat right up to the hole losing very little meat. I don't say that a 243 is a bad deer round just that a 358 win is a better deer round for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will admit best shot I ever made was with a 243 from a pre 64 Winchester model 70 took a woodchuck offhand (couldn't see him Sitting) at 406 paces. 75 grain hollow point. No tracking required.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I will admit best shot I ever made was with a 243 from a pre 64 Winchester model 70 took a woodchuck offhand (couldn't see him Sitting) at 406 paces. 75 grain hollow point. No tracking required.
That's quite a shot!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
In all honesty there was a large dose of luck involved but I was much younger and had been shooting a lot back then just out of the service and fresh off the rifle team.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As the title says, I'd like to hear your .243 hunting stories. Include as much detail as you can about bullet selection and performance, blood trails, etc. I want to to hear it all, good and bad.

For the record, I have a .243 now, and I've shot a few deer and pronghorn with it. I'm considering just using it for my main rifle at this point. I have had to thin the stable, and I don't have much to work with any more.

So please, let fly! Thanks guys.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts