Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got this in an e-mail today....can any of you Texas folks tell me if this is real ? if so, this sucker is HUGE ! !

"Over 1,800 lb. wild boar shot and killed in Conroe, Texas near the County Airport, East of I-45 and near the community of Cut and Shoot. Killed by a medical Radiology worker" ...

mebbe I need a bigger gun......:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well........??

Got the two pics(+ 1 more) in your above, from a buddy some 3 months ago,so it has been around for awhile.

Real vs. photoshopped ??? Don't know but,.....my opinion is that it looks "funny",unreal,altered,strange.

It however makes a good point for more gun. Some of these "hog hunters" that I run into down here in Fla. use a .22mag,20ga,38special,9mm,and the like. They need to see these pics..... real or not.

I have personally seen hog sign(tracks) that were the size of a smallish cow. Two years ago on Eglin AFB I saw a disapperaing bore hog that probably weighed 400+ pounds. I know that is a far cry from 1800 but at the time I wondered if had enough gun.

In the more remote regions that we hunt,I suppose that there is always a possibility of a big boy. Also with super high protein feeds that are available(as in the case of Hogzilla)there is always a chance,coupled with the gene pool,to grow a monster hog.

Pics like these always make me wonder if I am using enough gun. With the possibility of the above boar hog roaming the woods that I am hunting in,comes the thought of changeing weapon and/or ammo.

My Marlin 1894 with it's 240gr XTP's would be due for a change to 300's or a well made hardcast. My Encore with it's 20" Katahadin bbl would be traded for my Marlin 1895 and the 405WFNGC's(or even heavier). My .50Beowulf might be used along with a 5 shot mag. My .454Casull,16" carbine could be used but my 265's would be upgraded to a 335 or 360(hardcast). My 458Lott would not be used because of it being a Ruger #1(single shot).

If I was invited to hunt a creature like this supposidly is, and it was in the thicker brush,what weapon to use would be a real challenge. I would definately have to do some "extra" research.

When I though that I had come to a final decission,I would break out the pictures and have another look at them cutters.

Probably(probably ??) when everything was said and done,I would grab my Marlin 1895,with it's 16" bbl,load up some 425gr WFNGC's(at the minimum) and head to the woods. -----pruhdlr

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
Those pictures have been around for quite a while. Whether it is real or not I do not know, but it is no trick to use a wide angle-lens up close to make critters look much bigger than the background. The guys in the photos appear to be sitting at least arms-length behind it, if not further.

I sincerely doubt it is even possible for a hog to weight 1,800 lbs. There are published reports of domestic hogs that have obviously been well-fed in the 1,000lb. range and a bit above. But 1,800? Forget it......

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats just what I was wondering about Mike....I'm not a hog hunter, so don't have any experience with what size they run etc...... looked to big to be true to me ..... thanks ....

·
Registered
84 Posts
A friend of mine researched the pictures last fall and says the hog weighed around 760 lbs. and was shot several yrs. ago. The pictures have been going around for several yrs. and growing every time they make the rounds.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hurricane, 'preciate the info.... I really thot it was impossible, but thot I'd ask you folks to see .....

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I suspected they might not be "real". Still, not having any hog hunting experience, I am impressed. Think a 700-800 lb hog would be impressive.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
That is a big hog, and I would probably guess around 6-800.
When you figure that a 1000 lb pen raised hog just eats and lays around, I can see how they would get that heavy but feral hogs arn't built the same way and their wild habitat means that they must ran and evade using more calories.
The biggest I have ever shot was around 400 lbs and that is on the ranch that we now hunt. It looked out of place with the animals I hunt so I thought it was a cow. When it came into the feed area it was just light enough to see through the scope, I saw that it was a hog. I think I was using a 7mm-08 with a 139gr sst bullet. It dropped dead in its tracks at a distance of 150 yards. Most of the hogs we see will weigh 75-250. Once every other year or so, someone nails a big one.
Looking at the logo on the sign of that guys vehicle, it looks like they give wildlife tours. Of course, an 1800 lb hog would sure keep customers looking out of the windows

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got that email as well. I checked Snopes.com & they had nothing on it, so far. It's tough to tell but, some aspects of the pics look suspicious, i.e. out of scale.

Here is an additional pic...

Of course if it is true, time to fire up the smoker. :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
http://www.naturetours.com.tr/approches/approches.htm

Comments: According to a March 3, 2009 article in the Conroe Courier, no 1,800-pound wild boar has ever been seen near Conroe, Texas, let alone hunted, bagged, and photographed for posterity. Your average Texan feral hog weighs in at approximately 150 lbs., a Texas Parks and Wildlife game warden told the Courier. An exceptionally large one might grow to be twice that size.

In point of fact, it's doubtful there is a wild boar anywhere in the world that tips the scales at 1,800 pounds. There have been reports of domestic hogs approaching or exceeding that size, but the largest documented specimens in the wild have topped out at 1,100 pounds or less.

Citing a report in a French hunting magazine, the Courier reveals that the boar in these photos was actually a 781-pounder killed in Turkey in 2005 (the EXIF data embedded in the images confirms they were taken on June 3 of that year). A visual clue, the "Nature Tours" logo on the side of a vehicle in one of the photos, indeed points to a Turkish hunting website on which the same images are displayed.

Greg

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
I'll go with the 150lb weight being common. The last one my wife shot must have been plus or minus ten pounds of that, and the one before that slightly smaller.

I've only shot one approaching 300lbs, and frankly not looking to repeat that experience! Cleaning it was a chore, to say the least. The hoist on the truck made it easier, but still it was quite a bit of work.

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
My son sent me this one from last fall.
It was suppose to be an 8 foot Rattler.
I do think this one woud go somewhere over 6 feet which is about the biggest I've known of

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got that email as well. I checked Snopes.com & they had nothing on it, so far. It's tough to tell but, some aspects of the pics look suspicious, i.e. out of scale.

Here is an additional pic...

Of course if it is true, time to fire up the smoker. :D
If that pic is untouched, those are some seriously big leaves on the weeds. I'd put money on that one being photoshopped.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Comments ?? Only Two

If that is a 8ft rattler, then the guy that is holding it must be 2-3 ft tall.

The broadleaf that we had in Maine wasn't bigger than a human head. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
782 Posts
I vote photoshopped. Compare the foliage around the hog to that around the "hunters". In many years of hunting in hog country, anything over 250lbs is a true trophy. Anything near a 400 lb hog will appear to be monster status. I have only seen one actual over 500 lb hog (weighed on the ranch hay scale), taken by a rancher on his 6000 acre place, a hog heaven with 4 large surface ponds, 2 creeks, over 1000 acres of peanuts and 3000 acres of heavy brush. The lifestyle and rough forage for most feral hogs would limit their weight gain considerably compared to domestics.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My son sent me this one from last fall.
It was suppose to be an 8 foot Rattler.
I do think this one woud go somewhere over 6 feet which is about the biggest I've known of

Well It's really hard to tell if that is an 8' rattler without knowing how tall the guy in the picture is. I do agree that it is at least 6'.

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
HAd this guy come in at night. The steps on that ladder are 12" apart so from the ground, he's about 3' at the back. He's a big boy,and a good target for this week-end!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts