Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three years ago I purchased a new Super Blackhawk, put a SSK TSO'B mount and Burris 2X7 scope on it for use as a "test bed" revolver. Since that time, I've tried H110, W296, 4227, AA#9, Blue Dot and 2400 with a lot of different manufacturer's bullets and have never been able to find a good combination -- I mean 2.5"/3" was typical at 25yds. from rest.

Two days ago I polished the Blackhawk up for trade in, just plain gave up.  Then I remembered James' comments about his success with AA#5 and had recently received the 280gr. WFN GC from Marshall's "excess material" bin.... so one last effort.

Shot 5 five shot groups, worse was 1.5" and best was .74" -- averaged 1.1".  And the lapping with Beartooth product and instructions certainly contributed -- a jag with solvent, wire brush and jag with patch left no leading!

I would never have thought of trying AA#5 without James sharing his experiences and had never even heard of fire lapping until Marshall and his outstanding tech manual educated me. May sound corny, but I don't care, these types of ocurrences make my life much more enjoyable.

Thanks to you all.  I'm beholden to both of you and all the other moderators who give of their time and help in so many ways -- more than I'll be able to repay.

Dan Kiesey

(Edited by DOK at 1:24 pm on Aug. 29, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Dan,

That's great news!!!

It's reports like yours that make this whole shebang worthwhile!  

Now, about the price for that old Blackhawk.......

God Bless,

Marshall

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James/Marshall,

Since I never seem to have two consecutive "good days" at the range, thought I'd press my luck with the AA #5 loads. I loaded 11.3gr., 11.7gr., 12.1gr., and 12.5gr. and headed out. Long story short, the 11.7gr. gave me my first five shot clover leaf (.80" side to side) at 25yds. and 1.3" at 50yds. Recoil is mild, so I've got my practice load that I wasn't able to get with either unique or universal. Of course all that means is when I shoot 3"/4" off-hand, we'll sure know where the problem is!

Thanks again for the help.

Dan

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Dan, Thank you for your kind words! I would like also to compliment you on your entire approach to the posts on the Forum. You have proven to be an asset to what is trying to be done here.
As for AA5...For years I had used Unique for "Less-Than-Top-Loads" in barrels over 5 1/2" and for "Working-Near-Top-Loads" in barrels between 4" and 5 1/2". Unique is still a fine powder for the barrel length range.
Foue years ago I bought a Navy Arms Schofield in 45 Long Colt. Sonnie Youngblood, of Manatee Sports, suggested I try AA5 in that firearm for a velocity range of 1000/1100 fps with a 255 gr hard cast. I shot a lot of lead and killed one nice hog with that load. It always shot better than I could hold. From there I moved over to .44 Mag and used AA5 to duplicate my old keith #429421 loads with better accuracy. I have always felt that AA5's burning rate was somewhere between Unique and Blue Dot. I am convinced it is cooler burning. You will never get the velocities (about -200 fps)about out of AA5 that came be reached with AA9, WW296, or H110.....But none of them will give the accuracy of AA5 in 44 Mag and 45 Long Colt (or its clones).
Best Regards, James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts