Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

There is a gun shop near me that has 2 1895 winchesters on the shelf. one is a regular rifle configuration in 30-40 govnmt, and the other is a military carbine configuration in 30-06. They both are of the recent modern Japanese manufature so there is no historical or antique value for them. But the rifles have caught my eye and especially the Military carbine model. The rifle is going for $ 1165.00 and the military carbine $ 1525.00

My question how do they compare in strength and reliability to the Marlin 1895 in .308 Marlin Express or the .338 Marlin Express and the Winchester 1886. And if these are fair prices?

Budd

·
Registered
247 Posts
Don't how you measure the strenght of it compared to the Marlin but even the originals came in 30-06, and the big bore was and still is the 405 wcf.

Love mine its in 30-40 and is the Browning repo version, a little ackward to carry due to the mag, and hard to scope up unless running a scout scope set up.

prices appear to be what they bring here in my area,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello
Sorry for not getting back to answer your reply, Sir.

I did not state my question right. How does the 1895 Marlins XLR Model compare to the Winchester 1895 Rifles, since on this forum and other forums, when one says 1895 every body seems to mean and understands that the 1895 Marlins is what is being discussed, and forgets about the Winchester 1895 even existed.

For every time the Win 1895 is mentioned the Marlin is mentioned at least 500 times or more. Why isn't the Winchester mentioned more???? Is there something that makes it inferior to the Marlin???

The Marlin is more reasonably priced and easier to mount a Telescopic sight, but the Winchester is chambered a number of modern chamberings.
From Browning up to about 8 or 9 years ago the 1895 was offered in .30-06 Springfield, and the .270 Winchester, and currently the 1895 is offered by Winchester in .30-40 Govt. and .30-06 Springfield, and the .405 Winchester. The .30-06 and the .405 are great cartridges and properly loaded can deal any animal I want to hunt on North and South America. The Marlin XLR rifles in .308 Marlin exrpess and .338 Marlin express that I mentioned was to give a good comparison to the Winchester in .30-06.

But what make people forget about the Winchester 1895, and go for the Marlin? Is the Winchester inferior???

That is my question

Budd

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hello
Sorry for not getting back to answer your reply, Sir.

I did not state my question right. How does the 1895 Marlins XLR Model compare to the Winchester 1895 Rifles, since on this forum and other forums, when one says 1895 every body seems to mean and understands that the 1895 Marlins is what is being discussed, and forgets about the Winchester 1895 even existed.

For every time the Win 1895 is mentioned the Marlin is mentioned at least 500 times or more. Why isn't the Winchester mentioned more???? Is there something that makes it inferior to the Marlin???

The Marlin is more reasonably priced and easier to mount a Telescopic sight, but the Winchester is chambered a number of modern chamberings.
From Browning up to about 8 or 9 years ago the 1895 was offered in .30-06 Springfield, and the .270 Winchester, and currently the 1895 is offered by Winchester in .30-40 Govt. and .30-06 Springfield, and the .405 Winchester. The .30-06 and the .405 are great cartridges and properly loaded can deal any animal I want to hunt on North and South America. The Marlin XLR rifles in .308 Marlin exrpess and .338 Marlin express that I mentioned was to give a good comparison to the Winchester in .30-06.

But what make people forget about the Winchester 1895, and go for the Marlin? Is the Winchester inferior???

That is my question

Budd
You've answered all your questions. That could be why no one else has bothered. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is nothing "inferior" about the Winchester 1895, original or the new Miroku made models. I own a Marlin 1895 CB rifle in 45-70 and have recently purchased a High Grade Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative Winchester in .405. Both rifles are well made but the Winchester shows a higher degree of fit & finish as would be expected at twice the price of the Marlin.

The Marlin is accurate to 150 meters with my load using a 320 grain Saeco cast bullet. Cleaning is easy as the bolt can be removed quickly for access to the chamber end of the barrel. The Winchester isn't nearly so easy to take apart so I've bought a brass muzzle protector to prevent damage to the crown or rifling at the muzzle when I clean it.

I'll be shooting the Winchester as soon as the weather permits. The temps are in the mid-30's with a wicked wind blowing and won't improve for a couple more days. With any luck I'll get some sight settings this Thursday. I've loaded 288 grain Lyman cast bullets using 26.0 grains of Swiss SPP-210 which is rated to load as 4198. That should be a good starting point.

While I don't want to step on your local dealer's toes, his price for the carbine is waaay out of line. I didn't pay nearly that much for my TR Commemorative! You can PM me for the names of a couple of sources if you're serious about buying.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The 1895 Winchester is a box magazine rifle made to use spire pointed bullets. It is MUCH stronger than the 336(read 1895) Marlin in it's original form, and markedly more so in the Japanese made ones. I regularly hunt and shoot a vintage 1924 '95 Winchester .30 Gov't '06 carbine using loads that would stress a .45-70 336(read 1895) to the point of catastrophic damage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Critter Popper

I've had an 1895 Winchester 30/06 Grade 1 for 6 or 7 years. Its a Japanese made rifle. I use Winchester brass loaded with 56 gr. H-4350 and the Hornady 190 gr BTSP bullet. It chronographs at 2,805 FPS average, (24" barrel). I have KILLED 4 elk, 2 antelope and 6 or 7 deer with it. It is easy to shoot 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 yds. At 200 yds, its no problem busting the 1 lb plastic (H-4350) bottles filled with water with the iron sights, (why anyone would put a scope on one of these is a mystery to me). I took a deer at over 400 yds across a canyon holding 'center mass' (a little downhill). It's my go to gun for timber hunting elk during good weather (I dont let it get wet, it's my favorite rifle). It's SLIMMER, SLEEKER and STRONGER than any Marlin levegun. It weighs 8.5 lbs with a thick leather sling. By the way, the front stock screw can be removed and replaced with the fine threaded 'Uncle Mikes' sling swivel stud. You only have to drill the hole for the swivel stud in the butstock so the magazine isn't an issue when carrying it. Mine balances just in front of the magazine anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What Mike wrote. Today's Marlin 1895 is a great rifle, but it is a scaled-up 336. The Winchester 1895 is likely to be a good bit stronger. The workmanship on the Miroku rifles is at least as good as the New Haven Winchesters - sorry to say that but it is true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts