Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was giving some thought to the one rifle thing. Maybe my Sendero isn't the best carry rifle, but a BDL or XCR would be. The Ultra Mag, while a very large case, is a very versatile for the handloader or the factory ammo shooter.

It can be loaded down to .30-06 Level, and can be used on deer with ease. Bullets in the 150-165gr range would be great for this.

Then you can load it up to .300 Win Mag Level, and use some 180gr bullets for whatever you use to take with it, seeing as how it has taken everything in North America.

Then you can put the pedal down, and push it hard. Go after Brownies, Large Elk, and Moose. The 200gr Accubond, 210gr VLD, and 220gr Partition would be great for this. The 220gr Partition can be pushed over 3000 fps, rivaling the performance of some of the .338's.

Then for a little fun you can load the 125gr Nosler BT to around 3900 and vaporize some vermin !

I know TKO don't mean anything really, but here is a comparison.

.338 Win Mag - 225gr @ 2800 = 30.42
.338 Win Mag - 250gr @ 2700 = 32.59
.300 RUM - 180gr @ 3400 = 26.93
.300 RUM - 220gr @ 3000 = 29.04
.30-06 - 165gr @ 3000 = 21.78
.300 Win Mag - 180gr @ 3100 = 24.55

For factory ammo, Remington offers a wide variety.

Power Level 1
150gr @ 2910 (used to be sold as "Managed Recoil"

Power Level 2
180gr @ 2980

Power Level 3
200gr @ 3032

So in closing, I suppose boredom watching it snow here, is the reason I decided to write this. I'm in no way bashing other calibers, such as the tried and true .300 Win or .338 Win, or even the .30-06 (god knows I hate it). I'm just sharing my views since I own one now and have got to spend a little time loading for it and shooting it. I'm sure a lot of you around here let out a big sigh, when you read I had gotten an Ultra Mag...lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
Tang that is exactly why I bought the 300RUM Sendero. I wanted a new rifle, and I was looking for a big game rifle with a heavy barrel. As soon as I saw the Sendero I had to have it. I wanted something that was versatile and with the ability to get from '06 to UM power level I thought that it would make a great elk or moose rifle and I could still use it for white tail. So far I am not disappointed.
Funny thing, I would go to gun stores or shows and as soon as I would spot a heavy barrel I would look to the action and hope it wasn't a 308 or varmint rifle. Not many larger caliber rifles have a heavy barrel, if any, that aren't custom.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The various 300 magnums are a handloaders dream because of the wide selection of high ballistic coefficient and high sectional density bullets available, and because of the impressive bullet speeds that can be achieved.

I used to have a Ruger 77 300 Win. mag. with the tang safety. Very accurate and performed not too bad on heavy game (only criticism was the bullets at the time would fragment badly, bullet design technology has advanced since then). But in a moment of stupidity I sold it. :mad:

I often thought about getting another one over the years. A few days ago I finally found the rifle that renewed my interest enough in that caliber to buy another one: a Remington 798 with a laminate stock (another 798 to add to my collection). :D

The 300 Win. mag. isn't too far behind the 26" barrel 300 RUM, about 200 to 300 fps less with a 24" barrel and uses about 25% less powder. ;)

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I'd rather have 3 rifles... but I can see why a one gun person would want one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
tangs rat gun-sending up tangs 338 rum

I was giving some thought to the one rifle thing. Maybe my Sendero isn't the best carry rifle, but a BDL or XCR would be. The Ultra Mag, while a very large case, is a very versatile for the handloader or the factory ammo shooter.

It can be loaded down to .30-06 Level, and can be used on deer with ease. Bullets in the 150-165gr range would be great for this.

Then you can load it up to .300 Win Mag Level, and use some 180gr bullets for whatever you use to take with it, seeing as how it has taken everything in North America.

Then you can put the pedal down, and push it hard. Go after Brownies, Large Elk, and Moose. The 200gr Accubond, 210gr VLD, and 220gr Partition would be great for this. The 220gr Partition can be pushed over 3000 fps, rivaling the performance of some of the .338's.

Then for a little fun you can load the 125gr Nosler BT to around 3900 and vaporize some vermin !

I know TKO don't mean anything really, but here is a comparison.

.338 Win Mag - 225gr @ 2800 = 30.42
.338 Win Mag - 250gr @ 2700 = 32.59
.300 RUM - 180gr @ 3400 = 26.93
.300 RUM - 220gr @ 3000 = 29.04
.30-06 - 165gr @ 3000 = 21.78
.300 Win Mag - 180gr @ 3100 = 24.55

For factory ammo, Remington offers a wide variety.

Power Level 1
150gr @ 2910 (used to be sold as "Managed Recoil"

Power Level 2
180gr @ 2980

Power Level 3
200gr @ 3032

So in closing, I suppose boredom watching it snow here, is the reason I decided to write this. I'm in no way bashing other calibers, such as the tried and true .300 Win or .338 Win, or even the .30-06 (god knows I hate it). I'm just sharing my views since I own one now and have got to spend a little time loading for it and shooting it. I'm sure a lot of you around here let out a big sigh, when you read I had gotten an Ultra Mag...lol
why would you load your 338 to a 30/06 spec as a thin paper puncher and mouse killer.-YOUR WORDS. then you are going to load up to a few measley hundred feet per sec faster to full throttle-whats that make it--a cardborad puncher(thick) AND RAT KILLER.--deep down ,we know you have a passion for the 30/06 tang as you compare every thig to it. -and rightly so.--one things for sure,its taken more elk in its life than any 338 Rather Urban Mouser.,which i suspect remington will pension off.--couldnt help myself and had to take the p**s.-we know you like to blow holes in things the size of jam tin lids.-merry xmas tang.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I used to subscribe to the "wide range of loads" theory as a rationalization for large cased cartridges, but I found it is just a myth in the real world.

First off, every time I change the load in a specific rifle, I have to re-sight the thing. That means a trip to the range. It is not at all practical for me to have a load for varmints, a load for deer, and a load for moose for my .300 WM. It just never really works out.

Then there is the rifle itself. No 300 mag should have less than 24 inches of barrel, and the "Ultra" mags of whatever flavor should really have at least 26 inches or the advantages are being compromised. I really don't like deer hunting with anything more than 22 inches of barrel, and even shorter is easier to carry. There is no 26 inch barreled rifle I would want to take white tail hunting, ever. Magnums should be loaded with heavy for caliber bullets for heavy big game, or you don't need a magnum at all.

Then there is the noise and recoil that just is not fun at the range. If you don't like to shoot it at the range, you won't. If you don't shoot it, you won't be able to do so as well as you should. Then there is the whole hearing loss issue every time you shoot one without protection. That's every time. It concerns me.

Instead of one monstrous case that I can download or upload when I need something different, I want separate rifles that are suitable for the HUNTING I do with them, and that are chambered for a cartridge suitable for the animal I'm hunting. Each one can be sighted in for the ideal load for the intended game; hunting different animals or paper targets is very convenient, efficient, and effective. The "one gun - multiple loads" idea is just a rationalization in my experience.

If someone wants to play with a huge case of some sort, no one can say it's not fun, but attempts to make it seem rational, or even necessary, are just rationalizations. Have fun if you want, but don't lie to yourself about how "useful" it will be.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sask, my ideal "carry" rifle, for whitetail is either a Marlin 1895G with iron sights, or a Ruger Frontier with the scout scope setup in either 7-08, .308, or .338 Fed, as I have tons of bullets in those flavors any way. I will eventually start getting some smaller standard cartridges.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I convinced my friend not to get a .300 RUM. He's like me (novice shooter) and I didn't think it would be a good idea to have such a big gun with nothing to do with it. He used the versatility argument on me, and I went to midway and showed him that every chambering for the RUM was quite a bit more expensive than it's more traditional equivalent. Why not just get a .300 winmag if he wants the grunt? Cheaper and will do everything he needs it too (supposing he needed a magnum :p ).

I see where your coming from though Tang, I'm glad you like the rifle.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You did good to talk him out of it. The full house loads can give off upwards of 38 ft/lbs of recoil.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Opinions are like ******, everybody has one. The comments regarding having to go to the range every time you have a different load is not totally incorrect. I have been shooting the Remintonton factory ammo in ALL 3 levels, and although they are not good groups from level to level, they are all within 3 inches at 100 and 200 yds. I have the data to prove it. I too would like to have a rifle for every occassion, who wouldn't?! And a $500-$1000 scope to go with each one. Fact is I cant. I have over 2k in the one I have. Not to mention I like all the other aspects of the rifle (stock, barrel, trigger). So I decided to go with quality and versatility. Is this my only rifle, of course not, will I buy more, most definitely. If you dont like magnums, dont buy one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think Remington was pretty smart having the different factory load levels for their 300 RUM. This round is a monster, so having the availability of different factory loads can help the folks who do not reload to truly have a very versatile round.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Tang I'll give you some friendly advice when it comes to a hunting caliber ok! Now in my early years, I broke in with a .22LR and advanced up to a 30-30 W:nchester model 95, which had about 10 or 11 pounds or felt recoil. It was a great little whitetail getter in my state, where the Ozark Mountains are beauty to behold in the fall colors. Now as time went on and I put on a couple of pounds, I jumped up to the .270 Winchester and it too was a very good caliber for deer, antelope and even small blackbears. Not so good for me on my first elk hunt using 130 grn bullets.......another story later.

Now when I got into the service and learned how to shoot, I mean really shoot down range, the 30-06 was the Cat's Meow. It was truly a big game caliber and capable of shots very far down range. I saw snipers hit targets at over 600 yards during my service time with the 06.
This caliber has done it all and then some, It just simply works with the right chosen bullet.

Now after my discharge, I got those bigger is better dreams and had to have a .300 Win mag for my furture hunting out West. However, little did I realize that this caliber was NOT as user friendly as the Old Soldier....30-06. I purchased that Belgium Browning in .300 Win mag but it took me a good 2 years to learn how to shoot it as accurately as my old 30-06. My late brother N law shot many elk with his 30-06 model 70 Winchester starting back in the late 50's. He only owned one rifle and used it with authority on several species of big game animals such as elk and moose.

So in closing I just want to say, there are a lot of heavy hitters out there to choose from but they don't kill an animal any more Dead! The key is marksmanship, meaning bullet placement to the target (vitals of the animal) hit a bull elk in the butt with a .300 Ultra Mag and you got a lost elk, he is not going to stick around and will be long gone.

I have several big bore calibers and magnum rifles for hunting big game but I shoot none of them better accuracy wise, than my 6.5/06 model 70 Winchester. If I need to kill something really big like an elk, I grab my .338 Win mag and don't shoot over 350 yards. A .300 Ultra Mag hit you hard at the bench!!! Now imagine having to shoot the 2nd or 3rd shot at an elk 350 yards because your first shot was off a little. Knowing you just got hammered in the shoulder and jaw by this Ultra mag on your first shot and you still feel that recoil effect. A hunters worse nightmare I think. Good Luck on your choice. ;) :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm still waiting for the friendly advice. As I stated either in this thread or one of the numerous magnum threads lately, I have never expirienced or remembered recoil in the field during a shot. I have shot 300's and 338's and now a 300RUM. Anyone anticipating recoil in during a hunt shot would most likely be inexpirienced.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tracer, recoil is a non issue for me. I have no trouble shooting sub-moa with a .300 or .338 Win Mag, and I've already fired a group less than 1/2" out of my .300 Ultra with my break in rounds. I do appreciate anyones advice though. The RUM is more of a toy than anything. Most of my hunting is now done with a Ruger M77 MkII .338 Win Mag with 225gr Accubonds.

I agree Osprey. The weird thing is, my ears dont even ring in the field even with no muffs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts