Shooters Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
.308 vs 30-06

mockmania said:
I know the ballistics of these cartridges, but lack actual experience. Is there a significant enough difference between the two that might affect which should be my first bolt action rifle?
Mockmania, you have gotten some good feedback here. I have both the 30-06 and the 308, (Browning A-bolt and Rugar M77, respectively) and enjoy them both. The ballistical differences between the two are mainly academic for most normal hunting ranges. I have found the 308 does seem to have less "felt" recoil, and I tend to shoot it more. So, for coyotes and what you are talking about, I would go with the 308 or a derivative (7mm-08 is a great caliber!), and the accuracy is just superb! My Rugar .308 is truly a sub MOA out of the box. The good news is that you really won't make a bad decision here. I would reccommend the rifle and caliber you would shoot more, and believe most folks will shoot more with less recoil, and shoot better. Get enough gun to do the job (308, 30-06, 280, 7mm-08, etc will all do fine) and shoot a lot. Have fun with it, that is the key!

·
Registered
3 Posts
mockmania as most of these replys say there is not a whole lot of difference between the 06 and the 308 untill you start to get out there a ways (600+). Since it doesn't sound like you want to shoot in a highpower match with this it probably won't make any difference to you. My thought though is if you get the oportunity to go after something bigger (elk, moose etc.) you will find the 308 lacking with the bigger bullets. For little critters (C-dogs) and medium game (whitetail or muley) you may or may not choose to run different bullet weights. If you do it doesn't matter. If you only want to run a single load (say a 165gr Ballistic Tip) then I would think hard about a 30-06. One set of load data that will take you out agood long ways with good terminal energy all the way out to 400. Most folks don't have any buisiness making a shot over 400 anyway. All in all given those two calibers I would have to give the 30-06 the nod just for versatility, that and you can find hunting ammo for it in any backwoods general store. Just a thunk on my part.
Cheers

21 - 22 of 22 Posts