Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I actually love(d) this caliber. I had it in a Savage 14 American Classic. It was really soft shooting, and a lot of fun. I wonder if it was just American's hate for the 8mm in general, or the lack of nice .323" bullets that brought on it's demise? I think it is a dandy of a shooter. I sure miss mine, and I've been thinking a lot about this caliber lately. That's what had me exploring wildcat options as well, like 8mm-375R.

Bullets in .323" have become more plentiful, at least there are a few, new ones on the market.

Do you think the caliber would stand a better chance if released now?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It was a good cartridge. I've hunted with a Kimber in 325.

But it had 3 negatives folks didn't like: it was a WSM, It was a 'tweener' neither big nor small, and it was a real kicker in light weight guns that were the fad at the time it was released.

Personally the 8x57 Mauser is a great round, but no one builds or imports them into the states. Anti-metric/Germany ????

·
Banned
235 Posts
I have a BLR in 325 that I bought about five years ago. Love to shoot it. I put a 4-12 VXR on it. Have reloaded quite a bit after I shot the factory.

Not that many around, and not sure it would catch on any better, the second time around.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a BLR in 325 that I bought about five years ago. Love to shoot it. I put a 4-12 VXR on it. Have reloaded quite a bit after I shot the factory.

Not that many around, and not sure it would catch on any better, the second time around.
I remember looking at the BLR. Very very nice!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Middle bore cartridges have never really caught in North America. The only exception is the old 35 Remington which launches a 200 grain soft tip at about 2,000 fps. Marlin and CVA build rifles for this cartridge because there are many forest and foothill hunters who do not need to take shots beyond 100 yards very often. It's a reliable and deadly cartridge in the hands of a good hunter.

The 325 deserved to be popular but faded away too quickly.

TR

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
For new cartridges to be "popular" they need hype from magazines, ads, internet. That is what has made the Creedmore stamped.

An well Winchester introduced the WSM line of cartridges all about the same time. The hype got diluted; the 325 even suffered competition for a new cartridge from it's litter mates , 270 wsm, 7wsm, 300 wsm, 325 wsm. about the same time SAUM remington's equalivalent were introduced. Too many choices weakened all those choices, and none really caught on strong!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The problem as I understood it with the 325 was that all the 8mm bullet's were designed for 8x57 velocities. Seem's that down the road, to late, someone came out with a bullet designed for the 325.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The problem as I understood it with the 325 was that all the 8mm bullet's were designed for 8x57 velocities. Seem's that down the road, to late, someone came out with a bullet designed for the 325.
Don, do you mean USA-made bullets? Because in Europe RWS made premium bullets and loaded ammunition for the 8x68S - as for many of their fast cartridges. The mother case 6.5x68 Schuler even at the time had premium quality bullets.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
The problem as I understood it with the 325 was that all the 8mm bullet's were designed for 8x57 velocities.
Actually, the 8mm Remington Magnum did pull a couple bullets into the market that were real good, and Nosler Partitions have been available for quite a while. In my Magnum Crazed younger years, I wanted an 8mm Mag, but the bullets generally available here in the states were scarce.
I suspect bullet availability was part of the short life in the market for the WSM. But I also rarely spot a Short Magnum anything, so rifle availability and options might also have been a issue.

Who knows?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem as I understood it with the 325 was that all the 8mm bullet's were designed for 8x57 velocities.
Actually, the 8mm Remington Magnum did pull a couple bullets into the market that were real good, and Nosler Partitions have been available for quite a while. In my Magnum Crazed younger years, I wanted an 8mm Mag, but the bullets generally available here in the states were scarce.
I suspect bullet availability was part of the short life in the market for the WSM. But I also rarely spot a Short Magnum anything, so rifle availability and options might also have been a issue.

Who knows?
The 220 grain GameKING was Bob's favorite bullet with his 8 mag. Ole Bob was never excited about my .325 WSM, it just didnt have the thump.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I shoot the Barnes 160g TTSX in my 8x57JRS double and have had no complaints from the customers. I can see no reason why that bullet would not work just fine in the 325WSM. Customers included one or two true Russian Boar as you call them and one or two big bodied European red deer with a few fallow thrown in and all expired very quickly so could see little advatage in a larger projectile. I shoot other calibres with this style of bullet as well and have found the shoot above their weight.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 220 grain GameKING was Bob's favorite bullet with his 8 mag. Ole Bob was never excited about my .325 WSM, it just didnt have the thump.
What sort of a thump was he looking for? Whoever Bob may be.
Bob Faucett was one of the nicest members this forum ever had, and one of the best friends I ever made. Sadly, he passed away a few years back. Do a search for "FaucettB".

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
In my 8x57JRS double rifle I use Norma Vulkan 12,7 g/196 gr - #20680201. a stout bullet.

I doubt the 'lack of bullet thing'. Few USA rifles see Alaska or Africa, most are just deer, blackie, and some boar. So there are dozens of 8mm bullets that would be fine in the 325 WSM rifles. Obviously, few saw any 'need' for that round. I like the 8x57 but I also reload for the 325.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my 8x57JRS double rifle I use Norma Vulkan 12,7 g/196 gr - #20680201. a stout bullet.

I doubt the 'lack of bullet thing'. Few USA rifles see Alaska or Africa, most are just deer, blackie, and some boar. So there are dozens of 8mm bullets that would be fine in the 325 WSM rifles. Obviously, few saw any 'need' for that round. I like the 8x57 but I also reload for the 325.
It may have been the stock design, but my .325 WSM felt like it had less recoil than my uncles .300 WSM. Does your 325 feel like a soft shooter?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The wsm in general with the possible exception of the 300 has really never caught fire. I think with not widespread need for guns more powerful than the 300 mags.( Alaska and Africa excepted) and the success of the 338 the 325 was not needed.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The wsm in general with the possible exception of the 300 has really never caught fire. I think with not widespread need for guns more powerful than the 300 mags.( Alaska and Africa excepted) and the success of the 338 the 325 was not needed.
I actually have more interest in the .338 Federal than I do the .338 RCM. But now when the .338-375R is commercialized I'll be on it.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yang the reason I load for the 325 is my neuphew bought a Kimber super in that caertidge. A terrible choice, but he is my favorite neuphew. rifle too light and cartridge too big for deer. Says it hurt to shoot (44 year old).

He has killed a number of deer with my reloads; I load it right at 8x57 factory levels.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yang the reason I load for the 325 is my neuphew bought a Kimber super in that caertidge. A terrible choice, but he is my favorite neuphew. rifle too light and cartridge too big for deer. Says it hurt to shoot (44 year old).

He has killed a number of deer with my reloads; I load it right at 8x57 factory levels.
I did like my .325 WSM a lot! You are right about it being not needed for deer, but I wouldn't say it's too big. 180 Ballistic tips at 3050-3100 had a good thump.

If I had it back, I'd run the 160 TTSX as close to 3200-3250 as I could get it. That or the 200gr TSX at 2900. Recoil was never bad on mine at all. Limbsaver recoil pad on that pretty walnut stock, it really was comfortable to shoot.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts