Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
When the WSMs came out, this is the one that interested me the most. Unfortunately I never bought one. My neighbor has one in a custom.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When the WSMs came out, this is the one that interested me the most. Unfortunately I never bought one. My neighbor has one in a custom.
Do you remember when I first got that Savage? It was my whole reason for joining this site!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The problem as I understood it with the 325 was that all the 8mm bullet's were designed for 8x57 velocities. Seem's that down the road, to late, someone came out with a bullet designed for the 325.
Sierra plainly states the 220 GameKing is TOO hard for the 8x57 speeds. It was designed for bone crushing, deep penetration. Read the pic I'm attaching.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well guys, since we are on 8mm, some years ago I took a sound, but late war production M98 in 8mmx57 and had it opened up to 8mm-06. Since it was to be a handloading proposition anyway, I went ahead and did the Ackley Improvement. At the time there were a half dozen bullets from Hornady, Speer, Nosler and more expensive bullets available from Barnes. I never shot all of them, but that ratty old gun shot 1" groups with almost every thing I ran through it. Ackley claimed it was near the ballistic equivalent of the old .300 H&H. My chrono results pretty well bore that out! I went through two military stocks (sporterized of course) and eventually it ended up in a composit stock. It now belongs to my eldest son along with dies, 200 cases bullets and reloading notes. He and his son love it! If you do have an old '98 and it is not a real collector's item, you might have a good time with this conversion. It should not be expensive as almost every old time gun smith I have talked to has the reamer. Mine was a lot of fun for a lot of years. I guarantee you, it has plenty of thump with correct bullets for any game on the North American continent-and the recoil is not noticeably worse that your favorite 30-06

·
Registered
946 Posts
Might be a little harsh to say the .325 WSM is dead--not overly popular, yes, but dead? No. Just got my son-in-law one in Kimber 8400. Beautiful gun. I felt it was a bit light, so put about 14 ounces of lead in the stock. It shoots great, he really likes it. No, it's not really a deer cartridge, never intended to be. That's not why he got it. If one is looking for a deer cartridge, the .325 WSM is not the right choice, just like a .338 Win Mag isn't (nor a .300 Win Mag for that matter). If you study the cartridge, it is excellent--for what it was intended. Bullet choice isn't like in .30 caliber, but there are quite a few good .323 bullets available (I trust we all realize it isn't .325 caliber?). Interesting how so many folks bad mouth what they don't have or haven't tried!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Might be a little harsh to say the .325 WSM is dead--not overly popular, yes, but dead? No. Just got my son-in-law one in Kimber 8400. Beautiful gun. I felt it was a bit light, so put about 14 ounces of lead in the stock. It shoots great, he really likes it. No, it's not really a deer cartridge, never intended to be. That's not why he got it. If one is looking for a deer cartridge, the .325 WSM is not the right choice, just like a .338 Win Mag isn't (nor a .300 Win Mag for that matter). If you study the cartridge, it is excellent--for what it was intended. Bullet choice isn't like in .30 caliber, but there are quite a few good .323 bullets available (I trust we all realize it isn't .325 caliber?). Interesting how so many folks bad mouth what they don't have or haven't tried!
I really did enjoy mine. I may build one with a Sendero contour barrel. Hmmm

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The 270WSM still seems to be popular at least down in these parts. I think there was a bit of disappointment that the bigger end of the WSM line wasn't a 338WSM. I've read several things about why they didn't go with a .338WSM but /shrug

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The 270WSM still seems to be popular at least down in these parts. I think there was a bit of disappointment that the bigger end of the WSM line wasn't a 338WSM. I've read several things about why they didn't go with a .338WSM but /shrug
The .338 RCM is out there, but they aren't a .338 Win Mag by any stretch.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Curious to what you think the 325 is ideal for ?
Cool cartridge ,another one of the best buys in my opinion because of the lack of popularity.
Great guns going cheap and no different to loading anything else .
Be good on camels I would think.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Curious to what you think the 325 is ideal for ?
Cool cartridge ,another one of the best buys in my opinion because of the lack of popularity.
Great guns going cheap and no different to loading anything else .
Be good on camels I would think.

Cheers.
I think the .325 WSM is a perfect cartridge for Elk and mule deer. A .308 would do it, as well a .358 Winchester, or even the 8x57. It's just that the .325 gives you that little extra confidence that the shoulder won't stop a pass through. All the while, having recoil as tame as a put-E-cat. I can tell you on Whitetail, its the hammer of thor. The 200 Accubond is just the ticket.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Something about a 200gr bullet that always caught my attention. Both the .325 WSM and the .338 RCM throw them pretty quickly. Turns out that I have ended up with two of each. Browning X-Bolt Medallion and BLR in .325 and two SS Hawkeyes in .338, one 20" and one 22". I have a good Buddy who does most all his hog, bear and deer hunting with a 20" .338 RCM. He loves it.

Decent Georgia boars with mine. One with a .325 and one with a .338.

Attachments

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Tang, you asked if my 325 was a kicker. Yep a powerful thump. I regularly shoot 416 weatherby etc. Recoil isn't a problem for me. But the 325 kimber light weight with factory loadings is really to much for most hunters.

Been a while since I visited this thread, but you also mentioned the 338 Federal. This is a 308 necked up to 338 bullet. Got one in, again light weight kimber, it is very pleasant to shoot. Kills like its cousin the 358 winchester (35-308). And would be a good choice for elk and moose.

I'm a 308 fan. Besides the 308 win; I have a kimber 338-08, Kimber 6.5-08 , 6mm-08, and 7mm-08. always wanted a 35-08 (aka 358w) but that is a 'tweener' and I have lots of bigger cartridges including 348.

Would always recommend the 338 federal.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I had a .338 Fed in a SS Hawkeye and loved it. Excellent rifle. However when I got the shorter SS Hawkeye in .338 RCM, I never used the .338 Fed, so I sold it preferring the added velocity of the RCM also in a shorter, lighter platform. Both are good, I just thought one was "gooder" for me.

I know that some people doubt the performance of the .338 RCM. But I became convinced of it's merit once my Buddy got his and chronographed the velocity out of the 20" tube. He found it to be within 10-15 FPS of what Hornady claims. There's also a very informative article in "Real Guns" on an in depth test on both factory and reloaded ammo in the .338RCM with bullets up to 270gr that verified the factory claims (200 & 225gr) for velocities.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
Tnhunter -

Those are some BIG hawgs! Take a long time to eat up all those chops! :)

Reactions: Tnhunter
21 - 40 of 58 Posts