Shooters Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Lots of opinions on these forums that at times make sense and other times don’t. I saw the previous comment that 8mm are made for the 8x57. Was that meant to say there would be expansion at the lower 8x57 velocities? Woodleighs and Swift A frames are tough enough for high velocities and heavy bones. A 325wsm will thump a full grown moose quite handily at 625 yards. Who needs better than that? Lol The 325wsm can kill any animal on the planet. These forums created a lot of keyboard gurus. LMAO. Ignore the ignoramus’. They are wannabes. Lol
While I respect anyone that uses the 325, even though mine is long gone, some bullets say specifically, they are made for the 8x57. Thats to keep them from being used in the 8mm Rem Mag. Some bullets say they are specifically for the 8 RM.

Its neither here nor there for me now, as I do my hunting with a .375 Ruger.

I will say this, if you think you can take a Cape Buffalo cleanly with a .325 WSM, I urge you to do so, without large bore backup guns with you lol 😆

·
Registered
677 Posts
I always thought it didn't do too well because it wasn't a 338, and at the time of its release America was in a 338 craze due to the Lapua finally gaining in popularity.
I wanted a 338 WSM for my Encore until MGM said they were no longer making the 325WSM for it due to the increased chance of breaking the frame. I figured if the 325 WSM was rough on the frame the 338 WSM would be too so that idea died.
But the several people in Alaska that I know that have the 325WSM love it, knocks everything down without issue.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I always thought it didn't do too well because it wasn't a 338, and at the time of its release America was in a 338 craze due to the Lapua finally gaining in popularity.
I wanted a 338 WSM for my Encore until MGM said they were no longer making the 325WSM for it due to the increased chance of breaking the frame. I figured if the 325 WSM was rough on the frame the 338 WSM would be too so that idea died.
But the several people in Alaska that I know that have the 325WSM love it, knocks everything down without issue.
I absolutely loved my .325. I loaded the 200 grain Accubonds, and it was like a power switch on deer, just turned them off. Recoil is very mild.

As far as a .338 WSM, the reason they did a .323" is because the .338 was just so under powered. The case just wasn't enough to support it. You can pick up its new cousin, the .33 Noser. You can call it a stretched WSM, or a shortened RUM. Same parent case.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Personally, I recommend the .338 RCM. I own two...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Personally, I recommend the .338 RCM. I own two...
Long time no talk my friend!

I have a .375 Ruger now love the case design. It's one of the best cases made in 100 years, very efficient. Ruger should not have shortened it to make the .338, because the .338-375R is a whomper stomper.

·
Registered
677 Posts
As far as a .338 WSM, the reason they did a .323" is because the .338 was just so under powered. The case just wasn't enough to support it. You can pick up its new cousin, the .33 Noser. You can call it a stretched WSM, or a shortened RUM. Same parent case.
I've heard that before (I don't buy it either), I also heard that they "couldn't stabilize the 338" so they went with the 323. One of my gunsmith buddies wants to rechamber one of my rifles in the 338WSM, he has done a bunch in Alaska with no complaints from anyone, but I keep putting it off because I have the 338 Federal and the 338 WM already and I don't really need another one. I know a few people in Alaska that use the 338WSM and they love it. No, its not the 338 Lapua but it is more powerful than anyone needs for hunting.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
47 Posts
While I respect anyone that uses the 325, even though mine is long gone, some bullets say specifically, they are made for the 8x57. Thats to keep them from being used in the 8mm Rem Mag. Some bullets say they are specifically for the 8 RM.

Its neither here nor there for me now, as I do my hunting with a .375 Ruger.

I will say this, if you think you can take a Cape Buffalo cleanly with a .325 WSM, I urge you to do so, without large bore backup guns with you lol 😆
I would have no apprehension whatsoever shooting a Cape buffalo with an AFrame,Woodleigh,Barnes. Heck a 30-06 has taken everything on the planet. Even a 7mm has taken plenty of dangerous game. I guess people not only try to sound wise but also fit in with this modern day wuss culture. 🤣😆🤣LMAO We use a rifles, if you can’t up the danger ante in the quarries favor you got no guts. Mind you, ancient humans use spears. I think I’m going to try boar hunting with a knife. Quite a few do it and I hear it’s exciting.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
if you can’t up the danger ante in the quarries favor you got no guts. Mind you, ancient humans use spears. I think I’m going to try boar hunting with a knife.
In the spirit of Darwinian selection, you should. I'll send you a knife if you need one.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
I've thought about doing that, as a have a bayonet from a Swede mauser that is 16 or 18 inches long... but I'd want it attached to the rifle, at the time. Beyond that, not much interest in sticking pigs.

Have put a few deer out of their misery with a knife, but that is a different proposition, entirely. If you have to do that to a buck, I recommend standing on one antler, just for safety. Just sayin'...... ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I almost bought a .325 WSM, but I'm afraid that my days of hunting animals for which it's needed have passed me by. I'm ONE American who has no particular dislike for 8mm caliber rifles. There's no arguing their effectiveness, and my go to hunting rifle is a scoped Vz-24 in 8x57mm. For years, I'd hoped to be able to "upgrade" into a Steyr-Mannlicher or Mauser long-action bolt rifle in 8x68mm Schuler. That will never be. Shoulda gone with the .325 WSM.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Imagine if the 325 WSM had been a 338-06! Better range of bullet's for sure. Data I have for 325 WSM start's about 150gr bullet and quits at 195gr bullet. What could a 325 WSM with a 195gr bullet do that a 300 mag with a 200gr bullet can't? What would make a better deer rifle for you, a 325 WSM or a 308 Win w/150gr bullet? How about a better grizzly rifle, a 325 WSM or a 338 Win Mag w/250gr bullet? I have a 6.5x06 and if I need case's I can make them out of 25-06,270,280 or 30-06 case's. What can you make a 325 WSM case out of? If I had a 7mm-08, I could make case's out of 243 win, 260, and 308 case's. Get the point. and in both case's, 6.5x06 and 7mm-08 you'd have a cartridge more than adequate for most N. American game and at I suspect less recoil in a cartridge's with much better range of bullet's.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What could a .325 WSM with a 195 gr. bullet do, that a .300 mag with a 200 gr. bullet can't?
Deliver its energy over a wider path and reduce likelihood of over penetration of the target? I would also expect that the trajectory, grain for grain, and foot-second for foot-second will be nearly as flat as the .300, while being somewhat flatter than the .338-06.
What would make a better deer rifle for you, a 325 WSM or a 308 Win w/150gr bullet?
The latter. But MY ".308 Win. w/150 gr. bullet" is an 8x57mm Mauser loaded with 175 gr. Sierras. I'm confident that it will drop anything on the North American continent, except perhaps a Kodiak or a particularly obstreperous moose. In YOUR words, "a cartridge more than adequate for most N. American game". For the Kodiak or Moose, I would want the .325 WSM, or the 8x68 Schuler. I'd also want them for any African Medium Game, were I fortunate enough to go there.
I do not know if this is true of the .325 WSM (which could be made from .300 WSM brass, if they're any more common), but the 8x68S tends to work well when "loaded down" to standard 8x57mm ballistics. THIS tends to make the cartridge and rifle a not-half-bad "one rifle for all things". No clue whether the .325 WSM can be lightly loaded, but I do know the 8x68 can.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Not sure why it stops at 195gr, since there's a GREAT selection of 200gr bullets today; 200gr NP, 200gr Acc, 200gr TSX. I bought my first for a VERY specific reason, it was a SA cartridge that in a same size or lighter shorter rifle would easily outperform an 06 and could easily do better than an 06 typical factory 180gr load, with a 200gr load. It's true that the 325 is not all that attractive to a reloader. But, most (85%+??) of hunters are NOT reloaders, at least with their hunting ammo. That comes from about 50yrs of hunting with groups in a camp, and best I know, only one other hunter besides me was using hand loaded ammo. I've not seen reloaded ammo in any camp I've hunted in the last 10 yrs, other than what I brought.

For some impressive performance numbers, look at Nosler's 200gr Accubond in the .325, or some of Doublettap's loads. Is it better than a .338WM? Nope. But if you prefer shorter and lighter rifles its 95%+ of .338 200gr loads and available in a rifle under 7 pounds, it begins to look pretty good.

Reactions: Kosh75287

·
Registered
142 Posts
Every metallic round I shoot gets reloaded, except my 7.62x25 pistol (the dies for which I have not yet obtained). Except for the purpose of obtaining the brass, no commercial 8x57mm rounds get used in my Mauser.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't know anybody that has a 325 WSM but, I remember when it came out Winchester claimed it gave more balance for the case capacity. Maybe that was a selling point, that didn't work.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I don't know anybody that has a 325 WSM but, I remember when it came out Winchester claimed it gave more balance for the case capacity. Maybe that was a selling point, that didn't work.
While having owned two of them, the lack of interest has always baffled me. The .300WSM is absolutely much more popular, and a cartridge that I've also owned and have a lot of respect for. For people who like a bit larger weight bullets for larger game, I see the .325 as a bit superior to the .300 (not unlike the '06 & 8x57). To me, the absolute kiss of death laid onto the .325WSM has been the huge difference in ammo cost between it and the .300WSM, the .300WM, .338WM and the .338RCM. All four of them will pretty much do the same things for most hunters, but the added burden of what's normally about $1/cartridge kills any love for the .325, IMHO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the spirit of Darwinian selection, you should. I'll send you a knife if you need one.
I got knives that make Jim Bowie and Rambo’s knives look like pocket knives. lol. Their kind of like the Roman short swords . They’ll get the job done assuming I don’t get rattled -or shredded by a hog-lol.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
While having owned two of them, the lack of interest has always baffled me. The .300WSM is absolutely much more popular, and a cartridge that I've also owned and have a lot of respect for. For people who like a bit larger weight bullets for larger game, I see the .325 as a bit superior to the .300 (not unlike the '06 & 8x57). To me, the absolute kiss of death laid onto the .325WSM has been the huge difference in ammo cost between it and the .300WSM, the .300WM, .338WM and the .338RCM. All four of them will pretty much do the same things for most hunters, but the added burden of what's normally about $1/cartridge kills any love for the .325, IMHO.
what i believe(just me, no one else) is that the regular guy already has a '06, 300 and 338 win mag and its good at what is does, so no need to change it up. on the other hand, i used to know guy(RIP) and my brother has a friend, that is concerned that they have buy the absolute best for hunting. my friend(RIP) bought a 338 rem ultra mag to hunt bear with. never mind the shots are 100 yards and less, he had to have it, because it just came out. he didn't reload(later he did), he bought a box of cartridges(20) and i think it was $100-125. well, he did complain about it, but he ended up buying 10 boxes. i don't know the price of the 338rum now, but $100 ain't pocket change. in the past year year or two, my brother's friend bought a 338 lapua mag to take out west and hunt. he isn't a handloader, so factory rounds it is. i don't know the cost of the box of ammo, but i'll say it is $100 - 125 also. he shot a 5 gal bucket of cartridges(i know, i've seen them just sitting there(cases)) and he didn't go out west.

my gunsmith is building a 338 lapua mag for a customer that hunts deer and black bear. just the action alone(terminus) is around $1400.-1500 there is a 30" custom barrel with brake(i forget who made it) that is 1.25" OD the length of the barrel. the customer also has a basix trigger that is 4oz of pull. the customer also ordered a black "plastic" stock(plastic is my catchall phrase). the rifle without scope must weigh over 15lbs. the customer must have a heck of stand to shoot that thing.

in my area(swPa and nwWV) the 300/338 win mag are rare. the short mag, super short mag, ultra mag are rarer still. its the '06 and the 270 that roam these hear woods.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts