Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must confess to being a new 35 Remington shooter. My launch pad for the round is a 1965 production 336 Marlin. I also have a 356 Winchester 94 Big Bore that will launch the Speer 180 gr. bullets at +2600 fps.

I have read that when Marlin chambered the 356 Win. in the 336 that they did not have to do any action strengthing for it to accomodate the higher pressure cartridge. So the question is this:

Just how hot can the 35 Remington be loaded in the 336 Marlin?

Almost all of the reloading data I have examined seem to limit the pressures to those that the Remington Model 8 or 81 autoloaders can handle. This seems to limit the data to those loads within the narrow range of pressure and velocity that can reliably funtion the autoloaders. Can't the Marlin platform perform well beyond that narrow envelope?

It seems to me that there is some substaintial perfomance gain left on the reloading bench here.

Somebody set me straight on this!

Reb

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Been wondering the same thing myself, seems like it ought to be able to go a little higher. Even the .30-30 (an older cartridge!) is loaded to a higher pressure than the .35 Rem, although both are chambered in the same model guns, by and large.

Once in a while you find a bolt gun like a Rem 700 or Win 70 in .35 Rem, but they're uncommon. Also some Rem 760s.

But I've never been able to find any good solid load data, "+P", if you will, for the .35 Rem.

Actually, my 336 has a synthetic stock and is fairly light. It has a pretty good kick just with factory ammo, not sure I want to go much further.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Reb:
The old Remingtons couldn't take too hot a load. There's a post away back on this, and if IIRC, the locking bolt got pounded out. Hornady & Sierra stop at 36.0 grains of 3031, but I have no problems with IMR's max load of 37.5 gr. in my 336. It's good for a real 2080 fps, 100 fps faster than factory over the Chrony.
http://www.imrpowder.com/rifle/35r_1_data.html

Layne Simpson published some loads for bolt guns and Remington pumps that get to 2375 fps in Handloader #98, July-August 1982. Ken Waters has a few bolt gun loads in Handloader #12, March-April, 1968. He used a pre `64 Model 70 Carbine with a 20" barrel. Apparently the carbines are rare, but they're easy to spot, because they have an integral front sight ramp.

You can load up the XP-100s too.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Reb, I believe Paco Kelly has several articles under him on the 35Rem. Look under his back issues at www.sixgunner.com

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Try the sillywet loads in the Hodgdon #26 data book. They look to be loaded to the higher pressures.

The 35 Rem can be loaded to 40,000 CUP level quite easily. Any more than that will decrease case life accordingly. This is not a high pressure case to begin with and be careful of setting the shoulder back resizing the case.

They get about 2200 with a 180 in a 14" bbl. I've gotten about 2000 out of an 10 1/2" usable length Contender (braked) with a 180. That is moderate to higher level load that may go a bit further safely.

The 356 case is a heavier case to begin with and any levergun action can be termed a bit springy just by it's design save the BLR Browning.

This is one cartridge (35 Rem) that has virtually the same ballistics in a handgun as a rifle due to the case design/size and powder speed loaded in it.

Regards

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Guys,

When I bought my 35 Rem 336, a couple of the loading manuals listed a load with the 180 grain jacketed bullet that went an honest 2400 fps in my Marlin. Unfortunately, the powder has been reformulated, and doesn't produce the same velocities any more.

One of the custom ammo makers (Buffalo Bore?????) is in the process of bringing out a +P .35 Rem that should be interesting!!

Lobo in W.Va.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Thanks for the update - that's pretty zippy for a .35! 200gr Rem factory ammo only runs 2,000fps in my gun.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Creek,

Are those Buffalo Bore .35 Remingtons available yet? Has anyone tried 'em out? Sounds like just the ticket! I think that 180 JFN load at 2400 fps would be slick as well!

Y'all gettin me all excited now!

Reb

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Reb - I should get them today so I will post a report on accuracy and recoil. I don't have a chrony yet, but Ramshot Powders are just a few miles from us and they have invited me to use their facilities anytime, so maybe I will get up there eventually. Their main salesman recently purchased a Guide Gun and loves it, so they are pretty receptive to lever-actions right now (not that they weren't before). Another fellow I know, Lee Jolly in Texas, is also developing and marketing catridges and he is going to send me some hotter .35 loads, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try Georgia Arms

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but Georgia Arms has a .35 Rem load that is listed as 2200 fps with a 200gr softpoint. It is loaded in new brass at $11.95/20 or $56.75/100 in new brass. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to try it yet but have heard nothing but good comments on their ammo on Shooters Talk, TFL & Glock Talk.Georgia Arms

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I blooded my Marlin 35 Remington today. Hit a large doe at about 45 yards HARD. She was definitely lung shot and left a large blood trail. However, after trailing her for around two hundred yards through swamp, mud, brush, and small creeks I lost her trail and was unable to recover her. I was using 200 grain factory Remington Corelocks. Needless to say I am quite upset.

This is only the second deer I have EVER lost since I have been a deer hunter! I am disgusted with myself. I know lost game is part of the package when hunting but it still gets you in the gut when you fail such a fine game animal.

I don't know if a heavier or faster bullet would have done the job though. She was being pushed by the hounds before and after the shot and must have been pumped full of adrenaline! Never have I tracked a deer with such a heavy blood trail and failed to find it within 50 yrds!

Not a great start for my Marlin's first shot at game!

I do use some Georgia Arms "Deerstopper" ammo for my 357 Rossi 92 and it is good stuff. I didn't know they were making 35 Rem. though. I usually pick it up at local gun shows.

Reb

·
Registered
204 Posts
jfd444-

I checked the Georgia Arms website, but I couldn't find the ammo. Is this something they just added to their line? Or am I just looking in the wrong section?

Thanks,

-Matt

·
Banned
556 Posts
Ken Waters loaded 200s to 2200fps+ as mentioned above for bolt guns and called it "max."

Interestingly, he states that Remington advertised 2200fps with the 200 bullet when it came out. The old Mdl 8s and 81s are front rotary bolt autos, so I suppose they were reasonably strong. The Rem pumps were not, I believe, nor the Marlin as the only other production rifles I can think of in .35 Rem (except for a couple Model 70 carbines).

He mentions factory loads are at a dismal 1925fps or so today. Waters mentions 2100fps as his "all around" limit.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Reb,
Sorry to hear you lost your deer. I'm surprised the dogs were not able to track it? I never deer hunted with dogs, so I don't really know anything about it. I would have thought they would have stayed on the deer 'til it went down. Anyway, sorry to hear about a disappointing start with your new rifle. Just goes to show, you never know... ID

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks ID Shooter! The dogs in this case weren't ours but had crossed over from an adjoining hunt club. I was surprised that they didn't find her either. I can only think of two possibilities. They either pushed her farther than I would have thought she could go into another hunter, or she hit one of the many feeder streams or the main creek and sank out of sight. I hope it was the first so that it didn't go to waste but I suspect it was the latter. The dogs ran another set of deer over the far end of the trail and wiped out what I was following.

I would like to get a good handload in the 2400 fps range with the Speer 180 grain JFN but I haven't found any load data at that velocity yet!

Reb

·
Registered
872 Posts
Reb,

Sorry about that, but, you know, it happens. I doubt there are many of us here that that can claim to never having lost one, so you are in great company. It is to your credit that you feel the way you do about it.

In 92, I made it back to Kentucky from living in Alaska for about 2 years. The only rifle I had at the time was a Winchester Super Express in 375 H & H. I busted a six point with it, and the thing piled right up...actually knocked right off its feet....only to jump up and run off after i climbed out of the stand. (factory 270 grain Win power point) The blood trail went from looking like a four lane highway, to huge drops on every leaf, small drops on every other leaf, to a pinhead sized drop every five or six feet. Lost it.

It was hit hard, maybe just a shade too far back, but those things don't want to die, and are capable of astonishing displays of stamina. I have lost a couple since, to a 308 and a 270, but my point is that regardless of what a fellow uses or does, there are going to be some that he just can't find.

Good hunting, hope you kill a great big one.

S.R.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts