Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this stampede toward bigger blasters, we sometime overlook a fine firearm gathering dust in our closet! We all know the .357 Mag can be brought up to new levels, we are awed by what the .357 Max can be, but what about the grand old cartridge.....35 Remington? No, not a design that's pushing 100 years? Oh, Yes! The pressure of factory ammo has been held down in favor of some of the older firearms. But....In strong actions it will bite at the heels of the .358 Winchester. Marshall had related the success of the BTB FNGC 185 bullets on deer and my tests show that it performs far beyond what would be expected! If the .357 Mag is good, .357 Max better, why isn't the .35 Remington Best. look at the powder capacity....35 grs of IMR type! Maybe small compared to so-called modern rifle cartridges, but perfect for high pressure pistol cartridges! If I had a 14" Contender chambered for the .35 Remington, I'd put it up against any reasonable ,35 cal.
Little Hank has a perfect Remington Mod 141 in the .35 Remington that has killed more deer and hogs than most people have seen. The barrel is smooth and perfect. Our next project is to see what we can get out of the BTB 185 FNGC. I have loaded 10 rounds with the 185 gr on top of 28.8 grs of Re7. This is the low ball load. We will build up from there, watching groups, until we reach 34 to 38 grs. The average water capacity  of the case is 40 grs, which will give about 34/35 grs of IMR type powder. His jacketed bullet load is...200 grain Sierra RN with 34 grs Re7 for 2200'/" out of a 22" barrel. I "think" we can get up to 2400'/" and maybe 2500'/" with the 185 and still be safe. How 'bout them apples for a grandfather cartridge? Cranking it through Powley, it comes up to 2360'/", well within pressure range of the Remington 141 and that's holding down @ 40,000 to 42,000 psi. With the less friction of the BTB hard cast, I think we can slip in at 2500'/"! That, gentlemen, moves grandpa into the Fast Lane! Oh well.......Time the feed thr Bulldogs! Best Regards, James  

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
James,

Look forward to your results with load testing on this fine old round that gets little respect nowadays. At least in the press.

This was the first barrel I bought for the Contender pistol. It's a rimless design as you know but, handled correctly, should not present any headspace problems to the careful, attentive handloader.

I have been able to achieve with minimal load development, about 2000 FPS with a Hornady 180 gr. SSP and 32.2grs. R7 in a 12" Hunter barrel. I have gotten 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 100 yds. with this load with a 2X scope from a rest.

I look forward to doing more load development in this barrel soon now that I have access to a much better range facility.

I'm also looking at the BTB 180 gr. WLN bullet for this cartridge. This is an intriguing design intended for 38 spl brass in a 357 revolver. I think this would be great in a single shot! Very impressive nose profile. Appears to be plenty of bearing length also. I have a sample here in front of me and the seating depth is just about perfect in the neck of the 35 case. Not sure if it would feed in a levergun though. Have to try it in my Marlin.

Regards

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Yes indeed!  Both of those bullets, the .35-185g FNGC and the .35-180g WLNGC work great through the Marlin 336's!  

I've done some pretty interesting load development using these bullets in the .35 Remington, and she's no popgun when loaded to potential!

We used AA 2015, RL-7 and AA2230 with very gratifying results.   Getting a 185g FNGC moving out of a 336 Marlin at over 2500 fps is some fun!

Looking forward to the progress reports!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your 35 Remington load sounds very interesting, especially since you've used it in a Rem M141(makes me almost sorry I rechambered my T/C S14 to 358 JDJ, almost).  Would I be able to use the same load in my Rem M8 35 Rem.  This old auto has a folding tang sight that makes it easy to hit out at 100 yards and gives me 2" groups with a rest and factory ammo.  I sure would love to bring this baby back to life and let my daughter use it for deer/black bear here in the Adirondack mtns of New York.  Keep us posted on load development.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RavenWolf....Your Remington Mod 8 in .35 remington is a real Classic. Most of these new shooters have never seen one. I have a picture of John Browning, with his brother Matt, looking at a dead elk while holding a Mod 8. I have a Remington Mod 81A Takedown in .330 Savage in about 95%. Most people that see the 8 or 81 thinks it's an A5 Browning shotgun. After looking at that barrel inside the spring in the ouside barrel jacket one must wonder how they can be so accurate, and accurate they are.
As for cast in these rifles.....I find they shoot cast extremely well after you build up the powder weight to work the action. I think it would be easier for you to do with the .35 Remington than I did with the .300 Savage due to the strength of the springs in your gun. With the new lead alloy used in Marshall's bullets you could, if you wanted, match and exceed factory ammo. I would suggest using Alliant Re7. I would start on the top side and work down. A good starting load would be 34 grs, the drop a grain at the time until the action quit cycleing. you might want to uea the 200 gr bullet and back down.Stange, but at one time the ,35 Remington was said to be good for all types off American game! Col.Whelen said it had "smack" down
Best Regards,James

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mr. Gates, thanks for the reply and I think I'll give that a try.  What cast bullet do you recommend?  
The Rem 8 is a grand ole gun and I really enjoy shooting it.  Unfortunately someone tapped the side of the receiver for a side mount scope mount which took its collectors value away.  However that just makes it much more of a fun working rifle for me.  It to is a take down and the system is so simple.  With a slip on recoil bad my 14 year old daughter can shoot it all day long and this year she gets to go hunting with it.  Take care.....RW

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RavenWolf.....Since the receiver has been drilled and tapped I would strip the receiver, have it welded up, has a fine sandblast finish, and finish up with flat clear baking lacquer from Brownells. I have a beautiful round-knob lightweight Browning A5 with a 30" VR full choke (.685) that was down this way. Some YoYo drilled its receiver the same way.
Since we have been testing the BTB 185gr FNGC and are amazed at the results I'd try some of those, but I bet the BTB 200 gr would be great. I'd stay with Re7 or maybe IMR 3031. Start around 34 grs of Re7 and go from there. We have shot everything from 125 jacketed up to 200 gr jacketed in Little Hanks Rem. 141 and they all shot well. I wish my 81A was in 35. I don't use it anymore and might trade it in on something.
Best Regards, James
PS..Don't let anyone talk down that old Classic..It's a meat gun, not a "BS Talk" gun!!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I saw a post on another forum I visit that Remington was going to offer the 35Rem chambering in a 7600 carbine. This was from a PA gunshop. Rumors can fly, but we'll await the arrival of the product.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Once again Mr. Gates reminds us that old does not equal feable. Even with the somewhat anemic factory ammo available, the .35 Remington is still a favorite in my neck of the woods (Western PA). Loaded to safe potential it is quite a performer.

A gun to keep on the lookout for is a Guide Gun-type Marlin 336 in this chambering. I saw one but cannot remember the model designation. My apologies. But it was made as a limited run of 2000 for 2000 and may still be available via special order. Now that coupled with loads as suggested by Mr. Gates would be a top notch combination for just about all North American game.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at one of the Marlin Guide guns in .35 Rem. at Picketts Weaponry at Newberry, Florida. What a fine little gun!!!! I would have "acquired" it, but had a 1894P on order.It still bothers my mind! I went down today to pick up a can of 800x and when I walked into the door...A like new Savage 99 Lightweight in .303 Savage jumped all over me. It even had the old Lyman reciever sight ( like a tang sight ). The barrel was pristene....What a cast bullet gun that one would make with it's long case neck! Oh well.....time to feed the bulldogs!
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Mr. Gates,

What a tremendous find in that Savage! If at all possible, do grab it up before someone else. I truly love those 99's. They are my favorite hunting rifle. If they would only put her back into production, even yearly limited runs like the Remington 700 Classic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been pondering the acquisition of a 35 rem. lever gun.  At the last gun show in my area, there were none, and as far as I know the Marlin 336 is the only one in production.  Is the new ballard rifling available in the Marlin 35 at this time or are they still working off the micro-groove barrels?

Mr. Gates,
What kind of bulldogs do you have?  Are they catch dogs?
Jeff

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
JRR,

The placard underneath the Guide Gun-type Marlin I saw stated it had Ballard rifling. Knowing the gun shop's personnel as I do, I don't think they would say that without knowing it as fact.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeff...The Marlin Guide Gun I saw had Ballard type rifling and was one of the nicest little rifles I 've seen lately.
Dogs....We raise cross between Pit Bulls and Florida Red Curs. The Red and Yellow Cur were brought from South Carolina, by way of Georgia, the Florida about 1830. They are an old line cow dog. Since open range was closed after the 2nd World War, the Curs have about disappeared. They will work cows in heavy cover, will work a blood trail, run and bay hogs, make great turkey dogs and do about anything they see you do. Bred back to be 1/4 or 1/2 bull they made a tough dog. The cross will work a hog down, seldon get cut, and are fast as the wind. They have plenty scratch and grit, but are fools. I have one gyp coming on now that's half Robinson Bull and Red Cur. At 6 months she weighed over 40 pounds. When she's 2 years old I will breed her back to my full Tyger Pit Male, Tyger. The Tyger Pits were bred up by John Clardy. The bulldog in the movie "The Yearling" was an ancestor of my Tyger dog. We don't raise dogs to sell and most puppies go back to friends and kin. In fact, all of the future first puppies from Tyger and LucyLu are already spoken for.
Every year during hunting season, we get calls to trail up wounded deer and hogs from the game wardens. Most of the time it's for people who cuss the dog people....Most times they throw the deer or hog is their fancy new truck and take off....without a 10 spot for our gas or dog food, a hunk of meat, or even as taste of their govt. "skimmings". Most are "Transplants". Well, I didn't mean to rattle on about dogs, but a "Cracker" and dogs, just seems to go together.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was lucky enough to find a used stainless Rem mod 7 at a very good price.  Sent it off to my gunsmith for a new barrel (20" Hart) and chambering - 35 Rem.  It has become one of my favorites already.  Factory Rem 200gr's clocked 1950fps.  My best load so far uses 200gr Hornady rn's and Re-7 at 2150fps.  I've had the rifle less than a month so I'm very early in load development.  Can't wait to try a heavy cast flat nose on a hog!

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Mr. Gates,

A bit off-topic, but as a born n' bred Northerner (you'll notice I didn't say Yankee...:biggrin:) I think anyone who would condemn hunting with dogs without actually trying it is a pompous fool. It sounds a great deal more sporting than the common practice up here of using tree stands to the exclusion of all other hunting methods. I for one would like to give it a go someday.

Kind Regards from North of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Bill

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill..Don't get me wrong..All Floridians (Crackers) came from all over the USA, North, South, and West, after the War Betweeen The States! Their regional cultures were blended into psudo-Southern. I have many very good friends from the North. It's these "transplants" that give us a pain. They don't bring anything in the way of culture and only tell "We don't do it that way up nawth!" They are an embarrassment to my friends from the North. All one has to do is meet some of these boys down here, learn to understand what they are saying, eat a little fried mullet, okra, cheese grits, and swamp cabbage....the next thing you know you will be speaking Geechee and Gulla with the best of them..."What for you come here now, buckroo?" and the like!
You don't even have to chew Red Man (I do sometimes) and hunt barefoot ( some do, I don't)!. Some real Dillys are my friends from around Etna, Maine!!!! You should see them trying to converse with these River Crackers...It'll bust your britches! Yet...off they go to the swamps, happy as He**!!
Best Regards, James

1 - 17 of 17 Posts