Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the specs for the .375x2" Beartooth.

When Marshall gets time, I will ask him to set the chamber throat, leades, and twist.
Best Regards from the Hammock....James

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Mr. Gates,

Specs coming to you this afternoon!

I like this one the best of all!  I've always been a fan of the .375 bore, and this fills the void for a hot .375 levergun!

Looking forward to running the numbers, but I bet a .377"-250g LFNGC can be started at around 2400 fps with around 42,000 psi with H335!  Looking forward to checking the specs!

Many thanks to you sir!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi guys.  This my first post over here, but I have a question reagrding this cartridge.  Why not make the neck one caliber (.375") long and use the resulting increase in case capacity?  This SHOULD enable you to reach the same velocities with lower pressures.  Although I will admit the longer neck would help with cast bullets.  Just curious.  Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Mossyrock,

You are indeed correct about shoving the shoulder forward, getting similar ballistics at lower pressures.  However, the .375 Beartooth and the .416 Beartooth were both conceived with the idea of using flat-noses cast bullets specifically, and still keep COL to a max that would cycle through current Marlin 1895 Lenth actions.

The .375 Beartooth is designed to accomodate the .375-250g LFNGC bullet, have it seated to the base of the neck, and still meet the max COL for cycling through the Marlin action.

Perhaps this might explain what looks like an engineering blunder!  What do you think?  Do you like the concept?

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
36 Posts
Neat idea!  Has anyone built one yet?  

Never considered it an engineering blunder; just curious.  I thought about a .375X.356 Winchester at one time, but never got any farther than the paper stage.  Do you know is anyone actually built one?  If so, how were the ballistics?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Wayne...When I designed the two wildcats there were requirements to be met that Marshall has described. Your comments are correct, if the wildcats were designed for jacketed bullets. The additional case capacity would have been nice. It was a lot like the old saying of putting 10 pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag. I even changed the parent case to the .35 Rem. Mag. to pick up a few grains of powder.
What many have missed is the fact that all the pressure calculations were based on an average of 35% powder weight to grains of water ( case capacity)when even more pressure and velocity can be attained by going to the ball powders that run 100% density to water. The other requirement was holding in to the pressure of 44/45,000 psi. In a strong single shot like the Ruger, using ball powders, velocity can match the .375 H&H Magnum. I will begin testing a modification of both wildcats using the new .300 Winchester case. This short fat beltless case opens new possibilities.
Best Regards as Always, James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts