Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Saturday morning therapy groupies brought a 1895 in .405 Win that he had picked up from the gun show the previous day. It had a thin metal buttplate on it and it smacked the grin right off your face. It was fun though. I only took one shot with it as it totally rocks. It was pretty chilly and I was wearing my Carhartt coat that Ruger sent me and standing offhand, it really destroyed that gallon jug at 150 yards. I would not want to shoot it in just a T-shirt.

It was pretty windy, but I managed to knock the 400 yard turkeys over with my Garand, and the 100 yard Ram took quite a beating from my .44 Mag SBH. I had to go put the 50 yard chickens up a few times after punishing them with my GP100.

It was a good day. :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i have one of the later usrac '95's in 405 and love it but you are right it's not an "all day at the bench" kinda rifle. i fitted a pachmayer decelerator pad on mine which did help but a box of 20 at the range will give ya one heck of a headache!
lately i have been shooting some 315gr cast bullets from hunters supply over roughly 30grs of 2400 with good accuracy and a lot less recoil...

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this is a later model too, it was pretty nice. The .405 would be right at home in a No. 1 as well. Someday I'll grow up and have one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just saw one at the gun show. A 1895 in 405 Win. It looked liked a monster to carry! I bet it was pretty fun to shoot though. Scotty

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The nostalgia of it is worth a lot when pulling the trigger. Its practically a time machine.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Man, you aren't kidding. There were alot of M71 Winchesters, 1886 Winchesters, 1895 Win's in 30-40 and 405, and a handful of other rifles I would really like to have. They are some really well built rifles. Kinda cool Winchester is releasing some new models of them for purchase, and they aren't too badly priced either. Scotty

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This guy paid about $900 for his, I don't know if thats bad or not.

The 1895 and .405 are more than I want to pack around here!

·
Registered
993 Posts
What a fun rifle that must be to own and especially shoot. What a fine cartridge in the .405 and if taken hunting will certainly do the job. Glad you got one. I have always wanted an 1895 but never bit the bullet.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
depends on wether or not it is a high grade with the case hardened reciever and upgraded wood... i paid about $ 1150.00 for my high grade new. the wood is awesome and the trigger was perfect right out of the box... i had fred zeglin put an AO sight set on it and i love it! if there is a downside it is definately the recoil of factory ammo, mercy! i may just have to get serious about mine and hunt with it this year.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i'll never forget watching Larry wheishun shoot a deer along the milk river in mt. it was amazing the amount of ribcage compression and distortion at the time of bullet impact.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not a high grade, as the guy owns one of those as well. I guess it doesn't matter, they aren't really common enough to bicker much over the price.

I might have to shoot a deer this year with my .444.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Took a few crack out of an old buddie's "four hundred five" as he called it.

It's a pretty brisk ride. ;)

I remember the Weishun Milk River one too. If we're talking about the same hunt, I remember you could actually see the big slug glinting in the sun on the way in. :eek:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
yep manumitis thats the one... the impact of the bullet was truly spectacular! he was using a t/c encore and shooting from a ridge at a pretty fair downward angle. pretty country over that direction!

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
174 Posts
I been thinking for a long time about re-barreling a 91/30 Mosin to .405 Winchester. The cartridge fits into the magazine, the bolt face works, and so does the extractor, without modification. The pressure and case head thrust is within the limits of a good pre-war or later action. If I don't buy my friend's .375 Winchester Big Bore 94 I may just have to build it. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts