Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out this evening to blow off a little steam, and took my #1 in 45/70. I shot a variety of bullets, a 325 gr FNGC, a 390gr RFNGC, and some Speer 400's, they all shot minute of small rock, out to 100yds. I have a NECG peep sight, and a short factory front sight. I am working on being able to get off two accurate shots quickly, as this rifle screams to be hunted with, everytime I look at it, with it's beatiful walnut stock, and deep blue receiver and barrel. I want to use it for a nice grizzly/brown bear next spring or fall. I have toyed with the idea of putting a scope on it, but I don't think I could stand the look of it. I have decided to stick with a cast bullet between 400 and 500 grains, I have used a 472gr hammerhead style bullet cast by a friend who is a custom caster in Delta Junction (the Bull Shop), but it isn't as stable at long range as I would like, it was designed for close(100yds+-) up sledgehammer work. I just felt the need to share this with everyone, for some unkown reason.

Dave Beeman

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those are some fine lookin weepons. That No. 1 does beg to go to the woods don't it? Keep expressing those results thats what makes this board interesting.            J Sanders

·
Registered
207 Posts
I too have a new No. 1 in 45-70.  Last sunday was first trip with new low front sight and higher rear sight, which is required for shooting to point of aim with fast light bullets.  Even with the questionable ruger sights, five shots into one hole at fifty yards aiming at a midway 4 inch orange sticker!  I was shooting 300 grain hornady hollowpoints over 48.5 grains of IMR 4198 for about 2100 FPS.  I need to get that peep sight.  

·
Registered
59 Posts
No doubt about it. The #1 in 45-70 is a great rifle. I have a Weaver 2.5X on mine sighted in for 405 grain  hardcast GC bullets at 1760 fps. It knocks hogs flat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gentlemen,

I, too am shooting a Ruger #1 in .45-70 (and lovin it), and plan to go after hogs soon...I am loading the BTB 405s and cast performance 405s with Marshall's pet loads and having decent results.

I was just wondering if you had any other pet loads for the Ruger...

Leo--would you mind sharing those load details?

Smith

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got a Weaver K2.5 on my Ruger #1 in .458 Win Mag that looks very good.  I'll take it out before the season is over for another deer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Loads I use in my #1:

405 grain WFNGC, 50.0 grains IMR 3031, CCI primer, 1760 fps. This load is slightly compressed.

I've also used Hornady 350 grain jacketed round nose bullets with IMR 4198, and Re7 with good results.

I've got some BRP 310 grain WFNGC bullets that I'm going to try out.

Leo.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have a Siamese Mauser that I have replaced the stock twice. This last stock is a fine piece of Claro with a bit of figure in the butt, but nice and dense. I had lots of practice in knowing what I wanted in a stock by the time I got around to making this one. The recoil coming from my favorite load of 50 some odd grains of IMR 4064 with a 445 grain Lyman, is noticable. Noticable enough to disassemble one Lyman scope and one old Weaver. I think God was telling me that I didn't need a scope on that rifle.
Everytime I pick that rifle up I get the yen to take a wander through the hills, also known as the Blue Ridge Mountains.
I built that rifle to exactly my specs. It comes to shoulder just right, there is nothing like having a rifle with just right length of pull, the pistol grip fitting my hand and the forearm fills my hand, so that I know just where to grip it.
I'd be hard put to say which I find more pleasing for a walk in the woods, this rifle or some cute little filly's hand.
Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI,

The 4570 is a great round,but I will take my 50 Alaskan as it is a step up in power,whether that is needed in NA I don't think so.I like having  extra weight and  more fps.THANKS,KEV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts