Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all.. Last april i'v received my new 600 overkill cz safari mag rifle weight 12 lbs and have a butifull english walnut stock and a very efficient muzzle break which reduced the felt recoil & reawards thrust by at least 40% and makes this monster kind a plesent to shoot.. I have always tried to get folks who claim this rifle will reach 2400 fps but with no luck ! Fact, the originator dr rob gurnick will not demonstrate & got offended with my request so i have decided to do it myself & posted the short video on you tube; 600 overkill testing velocity with my 600 rifle as to display it for all to see that its actually possible with 26 inch bbl since i have reached 2300 fps with mine... This rifle/cartridge is super accurate and will provide such level of raw power its hard to comprehand but recoil without the break is quite harsh & excessive but some of us are not effected by recoil as much & i find it exciting to be able to...overall the cz 550 is absolutly the best & function real well however, some re polishing of the rifle's chamber was necessery to allow propor extraction at top max velocity since the ji brass was made too thin in the belt / web area.
So if anyone of you guys desire one of these monsters i segest you shoot it once first ! Overall this cartridge is really not necessery but for one reason only , stop a charging elephant or a cape buffalo from killing the hunter...shoot well & be safe....
1tufgun

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Such massive guns are for the strong of spine and those willing to accept the punishment. I'll just stand back and watch, if that's OK with you...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Neat rifle and cartridge! I used to love to shoot huge bores like that and enjoyed being able to shoot well with them. Still, the effects of recoil are accumulative and after a few rounds my accuracy was confirming I was about done with it for the day. Now I just admire the cartridge, rifle and love watching others shoot them.....especially the macho guys who think they can handle anything but have never fired anything bigger than a 300 Win. Mag......maybe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re; the 600 overkill recoil

Nv shooter & sharps 4590..
Hi... Thanks for your comments however, this kind a big bore are not target guns and not such a rifle you take to a range session ! You're quite right regards recoil effects of such big cartridges however, some of us are blessed with the ability to manage that recoil which could be controlled if a shooter learned how to handle it & move with it rather then resist recoil ..i have been shooting big guns for 22 years includeing large caliber handguns like a 50-90 sharps bfr revolver & i'll tell ya it is quite harsh as you can see at you tube; big bore handguns bfr.. Regards the 600 o.k video ;testing velocity
my normal load is 900 gr woodleigh at 1950 fps max & a 20/1 lead bullet i make with 55 gr of aa 5744 for 1280 fps which is so plesent you could shoot a bp match without any problem... Of course the muzzle break takes most of the recoil "sting" out but all & all this kind of monsters are not for most people in general & yes, you're right about people think they are "macho" but could not handle a real big gun lets say, a 458 lott fully loaded ! Thanks again
1tufgun

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Looked at the You Tube Overkill video

Hi Tuff Gun, I did look at the You Tube vid.,, But next time, would you go for two quick aimed shots?? The old gunfighters tried to leave one live round in their six shooters, loaded with an empty chamber. So it was shoot four times, and then back out with one left under a cocked hammer.

Your P.H. will demand you reload instantly after every shot, and with only three rounds available, in most bolt rifles, that third round will be your last ditch defense. The closest I got to you was to load a 300 gr. Real Bullet over a 400 one, in a H & R break action 58 cal. muzzle loader. In that light little carbine, it got my attention, and kept it. But I didn't have to get off a second aimed shot. If you take off that muzzle brake, how much will it slow down your second aimed shot?? I don't know if they will let you use a brake, in close quarters to your P.H.

If weight isn't a problem, maybe you should look into one of the new High Tech muzzle moderators. But the one my Karoo High Rack Hunt driver was using, on his jackal whacker, required cutting back his 308 Mauser barrel to sixteen inches. That's a lot shorter than the 23 inches you demonstrated. But Ruger is getting top velocities, with 20 inch barrels. So, there may be a new progressive powder which will minimize the loss of velocities, and some of the new moderators, do cut down the felt recoil, substantially, while being P.H. friendly. But please understand, that I'm speaking of a High Rack Hunt, and not someone dogging it out through the Bush.

Those breeding silver jackals run in pairs, and the moderator helps him pick off the second one, who doesn't immediately know where the first shot came from.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carpooler hi... you're right regards these kind a rifles but the 600 nitro or my overkill are designed primerely as a stopping rifles so you better place the first shot in the brain or else! i am working on getting second shot quickly however it takes time and lots of practice and, regards the 600 o.k, i have developed a 1850-1900 fps load which allows a person to get along with this monster and, if you remove the break from the barrel the recoil is quite snappy rearwards but acceptable & when facing a big game you won't even remember the recoil ... i am a revolver kind a guy and will use them first next year when i go to africa hopefully and will use my 50-90 ss bfr revolver with 570 or 600 gr woodleigh solids.boy i'll tell ya, big guns are quite demanding and tough to fire accuratly so i am still trying.. at least i don't make any foolish claims i can't prove.. did ya watch; big bore handguns bfr? thanks for your response at this point i am trying to let people know & see what i do .... regards Avi 1tufgun

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Have not got to watch the punishment yet, but on the subject of PH involvement. This last May I was in Slovenia with my tiddly little 257RRI which has a muzzle brake. We were sat in a nice high seat and a suitable wild boar placed itself about 60yrds away. My guide said to shoot and before I did I told both him and my wife the back blast may be uncomfortable. I was wearing in ear custom earing protectors.
The round went off and I saw the bullet srike, next thing I know we are covered in about twenty years of dust, dead spiders, wasps, flies , you name it and my guide and wife where both having a coughing fit.
This is just an tiddly little 257, I would not like to be standing anywhere adjacent when your 600 exploded into life, particularly where a normal Africa, dangerous game PH would be standing, probably with double 460 ready to go. It sounds a real exciting gun though and I agree, many shooters brace themselves, when they should actually be relaxing their whole body like one giant piece of elastic.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
.50BMG. For personal use. Bolt action. Single shot. Huge brake out front. Was standing behind and to the right of it, about twelve feet from muzzle. He touched it off, and my hat went flying. "Wanna shoot it?" Uh, no. I passed...

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Shot a .460 Weatherby twice one afternoon and after shooting the .460, I shot a .378 Weatherby. Recoil from the .460 was not all that bad but it was heavy. Of the two the .378 Weatherby had the sharpest recoil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi y'all..guys you're absolutly correct in regards such noisy muzzle breaks & hunting with them presents a real problem especially mine ! when it goes off with 150 gr of powder & 900 gr bullet at 2300 fps or so it sounds like a cannon went off rather then a rifle sound with lots of felt pressure so when i will go to africa of course the muzzle break will stay home and yes, this gun's blast is absolutly excessive however, developing loads for this 600 o.k is substentialy easier and kind a plesent to shoot & never from the bench.. as some of my friends say, if you got to have a muzzle break on a firearm, you shouldn't own it ! strange but the bigger the caliber the more you've got to relex & move with the recoil motion like elastic which is the only way and its not quite as terible recoil as it looks.. thanks 1tufgun

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi y'all... dose anyone of you knows about cnc cases made for high pressure cartridges? i had few made by Heritage arms co for my 600 overkill which we're made beefed up but unfourtunatly the web belt and the rim did expanded quite too much.. the primer fell out of the pocket and the rim was bent 90% when i
opened the bolt so it sure looks as if machine or cnc turned cases with navy 50% hard just don't cut it..
however, this load did not exceed the 62Kpsi at 2238 fps since my regulare JI dose fine & without any trouble at all.. the inventor shot his with pressure near 68Kpsi so overkill is the proper name..i did reduce the powder charge by 10% to acomadate the reduce capecity... will appreciate any good advice...thanks
Avi 1tufgun

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I don't have a .600 over kill but have spoke to those gents who build that caliber! I too have a CZ but it is in the "old school" type of calibers called the 500-Jeffery. It now can develope over 8,000 Pluse punds of energy with the right powder and bullet.The ammo for this caliber is no way called cheap! 10 rounds can run any where from $135 to $165 dollars depending on type of bullet and weight.

I generally shoot it (plink around) with a 530 grn. bullet at 2000 fps! It is not to bad on the shoulder that way. The barrel is not ported yet and I will simply NOT put a muzzlebrake on the end of the barrel. I have 2 stocks for the rifle. One out of a walnut tree that was in the back yard and they other is a laminated stock made of wildcherry, redoak, maple and ash. It is stained green and brown tint. It has a full piece bedding of aluminum to keep things in place.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Welcome Ranch.

this is an old thread. And the poster was seldom here and not in the last 5 years at all. So doubt he will read your post.

The 600 AK was designed by Dr Robert Garnick of las Vegas Nevada. It was a propietary cartridge, so only he could give you the complete specs.

However all the rifles were built on CZ 550 actions, a great platform (got one) by AHR . It was a, straight-wall case is 3″ in length, and has a rim diameter of .635″, the same as the 505 Gibbs. However, because it was blown straight cases had to be machined with a belt for headspace. basically a wall hange cartridge, if shot usuaally with unknown reduced loads. Not really a needed improvement over the 460 weatherby/lott/470/505.

Before even thinking of the 600 OK, one should have fired a 460 Watherby and a bolt action 50 BMG, for effect.

If you want one try Wayne Jacobson at AHR (406) 363-8033. they will make you one on your long CZ 550 action. they also include 100 custom made brass cases with each rifle they sell. $$$ you might need two plastic cards.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You can contact Dr.Rob over at accuratereloading site in the BIG BORE section, there are a couple of guys that shot the monster and are willing to help

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
the primer fell out of the pocket and the rim was bent 90% when i
opened the bolt so it sure looks as if machine or cnc turned cases with navy 50% hard just don't cut it..
Cartridge brass is NOT machined!!!! It is drawn in several stages. Each stage HARDENS the brass so it can take firing pressures.

You came very close to a very important lesson. The CZ saved your butt!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts