Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine was cleaning out some old magazines and assorted literature and asked if I wanted his back issues of Accurate Rifle. I had kind of stayed away from purchasing this magazine because I figured it mostly dealt with highly tuned varmint or target rifles instead of big game hunting rifles, but he said there was a good article about Martin Hagn single shot in one, so I said sure.

It took me a while to get around to looking at these (he let me have 10 mags), and now I'm sorry I don't have every issue. There aren't too many hunting stories in this magazine, but WOW, there is a wealth of knowledge written in each issue. Everything from do-it-yourself tuning (bolt action, lever action, semi-autos, etc...), to making a custom stock, to get the most accuracy from your own handloads. Lots of varmint articles and military long range techniques, but mostly is how to get the best from your hunting grade firearm. Each issue has an in-depth look at some small out of the way custom shop, a review of an action or two and some great firearm history course. Not a glossy magazine, mostly printed in black and white, but well worth the cover price, in my opinion.

I'll probably drop my subscription to Handloader and pick up a subscription to this one. It is much better, I think.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Alyeska:
Accurate Rifle has an older sister publication, Precision Shooting, aimed at the benchrest crowd. I subscribed for several years, until the international mailing rate went through the roof. Both magazines have websites, linked to each other, that show one article per month. Precision Shooting usually had one or two quite technical articles each month of the kind you haven't seen in Guns&Ammo for 30 years.
http://www.theaccuraterifle.com/
http://www.theaccuraterifle.com/

Bye
Jack

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
"Accurate Rifle" is becoming a little bit of a misnomer as they have started carrying articles on handguns also. A recent articles included an excellent article on the Puma 454 lever action, and it frequently has excellent articles on first hand African PH experiences. They have been running episodes from a book about Elmer Keith that has been very interesting. So the title may be a little misleading, it covers more than just precision shooting tools. Certainly one of my top three magazines. Minimal advertising and well written by folks that don't appear to have a "relationship" with the vendors.

Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts