Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backwoodsman magazine?

Does anyone regularly read Backwoodsman magazine?
I have seen it on the newsstands but took my first look at it today. Three articles were of interest to me: waterproofing matches, history of the Patterson Colt – nothing new but well laid out and interesting. The third article was on books – a favorite subject – and while I didn’t have the opportunity to read it looked interesting.
So, the magazine appears to be a bit expensive, does the magazine stand up well over the year?

·
Banned
426 Posts
Does anyone regularly read Backwoodsman magazine?
I have seen it on the newsstands but took my first look at it today. Three articles were of interest to me: waterproofing matches, history of the Patterson Colt – nothing new but well laid out and interesting. The third article was on books – a favorite subject – and while I didn’t have the opportunity to read it looked interesting.
So, the magazine appears to be a bit expensive, does the magazine stand up well over the year?
Yes I seem to enjoy most of the articles. I share the magazine with a few guys from church and the range. There seems to be a few serious readers out here in this area too.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Its one of the three gun mags I buy. Rifle, Handloader, and Backwoodsman. I guess I should say four, if you count American Rifleman, but that one I get off the internet. I usualy copy and store the other three on flash drives, and pass them on to my Doctor. He reads them and puts them out in his waiting room. also pass on my Family Motorcoach and Good Sams Hiway mags the same way. (Not much room in a 40 ft Motorcoach for storing magazines.)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have only really looked at the latest issue. The article on the Patterson and the article on books looked good.

This is an expensive magazine, are you pleased with it?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have subscribed to it for the last 10 years and I bought all of their back copies and their CD's. I'd say I like it.

·
Banned
507 Posts
fingers crossed

I have subscribed to it for the last 10 years and I bought all of their back copies and their CD's. I'd say I like it.
Hopeing to get that for my B-day. Cool so its worth it huh! I just got Jan/Feb!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Definitely worth it, especially because it covers such a wide variety of subjects so well. After awhile you kind of feel like the authors are family. If you are a prepper I do not think you could find a better magazine and the sources they mention pretty much cover any need you might have. If not a letter or E-mail will get you an answer you can live with.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have been getting the Backwoodsman for three years now, learned a lot, I also get Rifle and Handloader. A couple of really good magazine if you are into basic living is the Mother Earth News and the Hobby Farm Magazine.

I have a special case for all of my Backwoodsman magazines, so if I need them I have them handy.

Jerry

·
Registered
58 Posts
I remember the older BW magazine that looked like it was printed on newspaper-like paper. It's always good for a read. It's one of the few subscriptions that I feel like I get much more than my money's worth.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have been reading this magazine for about two years now, lots of good information on a wide variety of subjects.

Things like how to make a knife, made your own camouflage outfit, outdoor cooking, how to raise food in a limited garden and the list goes on.

It is really worth the money and you can learn a lot in a short period of time.

Jerry

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have every issue they ever printed plus a mess of their anthologies and CD's. I guess I voted with my wallet.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've written a couple of articles for Backwoodsman, one several years ago on my muzzleloading rifle/shotgun combination and more recently one on my Super Comanche .410 pistol. My payment for those articles was to have my subscription extended by two years.:)

·
Banned
507 Posts
I think that is fair payment from this magazine. The Super Comanche artirle was really good.

Jerry

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good morning gentilmen;
You too Slim :)
I've been subscribing to BW magazine since before the century flopped over.
To illustrate the character of the owner/operator, Charlie----
In a surprise move by I.P. Co. my place of employment closed, along with another mill down the road. The shock left me unsure of my future so I decided to tighten up my belt. At that time my BW subscription was due for renewal. In a moment of self pitty I dropped a note to Charlie expressing my sorrow at not being able to re-up. Much to my surprise I received in the mail, a few days later, a personal note from Charlie expressing sorrow for my predicament and a one year extension to the magazine.
Well, I guess you know, I was flabbergasted and touched. I couldn't let this stand and knowing Charlie to be a knife buff (collector?), I searched thru my treasure chest and found an old family piece of some value and sent it to him with thanks.
Be darned, he turned right around and sent me another note, thanking me for such a unique piece and extended my subscription to two yrs.
Well I guess you know, in two yrs I was able to get my head back on straight, and I've enjoyed every issue since.

It's a great magazine put out by great people.
Pepe Ray

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have been getting and using The Backwoodsman Magazine since 1992 and it is THE ONLY magazine that I invest in. I probably have fifty pounds of them and they are worth more than their weight in $20 bills. Just buying and reading Gun magazines isn't very productive for myself, so I have tried so very many of the various How To's over the years and anything which is printed in the magazine has already been proven to work beforehand. I feel that The Well Rounded Gun Enthusiast isn't properly prepared without it. In the event that our modern firearms get confiscated by the Obama admistration eventually, those of us with the great knowledge contained in these magzines will already well prepared for the long haul.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have been getting and using The Backwoodsman Magazine since 1992 and it is THE ONLY magazine that I invest in. I probably have fifty pounds of them and they are worth more than their weight in $20 bills. Just buying and reading Gun magazines isn't very productive for myself, so I have tried so very many of the various How To's over the years and anything which is printed in the magazine has already been proven to work beforehand. I feel that The Well Rounded Gun Enthusiast isn't properly prepared without it. In the event that our modern firearms get confiscated by the Obama admistration eventually, those of us with the great knowledge contained in these magzines will already well prepared for the long haul.
Thanks for resurrecting this old thread and sharing your experiences. I will have to search out this mag and see what it is about.
Dan

·
Registered
439 Posts
I used to read it and pass it on to other shooters in the hopes that they would also realize its great value, but none of them ever did. The Canned Variety of information which comes from the Mainline Gun Magazines misleads lots of otherwise good gunnuts who do not get to enjoy How To articles that help then to properly understand what a Firearm really is and how to squeeze the best performance from the sometimes worst guns. If a homemade underhammer rifle or hunting pistol appeals to you, then check out some of their past editions which makes building these guns so simple and easy to do that you will be seriously embarrassed that you really had the ability to build one all along! Plus Gunsmithing Kinks Galore sometimes graces their pages too. See what you have been missing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts