Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some of the big Lyman GC 452651 slugs, weighing  a hair under 349 grains with lube and gas check. This mould has two crimp grooves.  For a Ruger Vaquero, I am loading 19 grains of H110 in WW brass with CCI 350 primer and crimping to the top groove for an OAL of  1.576. I also loaded a few rounds with 19.5 grains H110 crimped in the second groove for an OAL of 1.651.  Both Taffin and Linebaugh say 20 grains of H110 is safe with 340-350 grain cast bullets in a Ruger, but neither species OAL. Do these loads sound safe to any of you folks? Marshall?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Bill,

With the longer COL I would think that you are well within the perameters of pressure safety.  When working up loads however I would strongly suggest the use of a chronograph.  It will take much of the guesswork out of you task, and you'll end up with a better load in the end.

Read the article in Tech Notes: "Max Loads" & Handguns
<a href="http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archived_tech_notes.php/15" target='_blank'>http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archived_tech_notes.php/15</a>

This should shed some light on your load development.  The Lyman bullet you are using has the propensity to be very accurate with the right load and properly set up revolvers.

Let us know what you find with your tests!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bill,

From all the stuff that I have read from Linebaugh, he said that 21 grains of H110 with a 350 grain cast bullet will be around 32,000 cup max.  THIS IS WITH LBT BULLETS!!!!!!

With LBT bullets he is using either a WLN or LFN.  Both of these will have a nose to crimp length of .450", that is in a standard Ruger, a Redhawk or custom cylinder can have a nose length of .500"  With the .450" nose length you are looking at a OAL of approximatley 1.735".   Any other bullet will be so short that it won't give adequate case capacity.

Even when he moved to the 340 grain NEI mold he dropped off about 3 grains to maintain the same pressure levels.  Due to the lack of case capacity.  I have not personally seen the Lyman bullet but with that length I would think that it would fall into the NEI class.

Hope this helps,
God Bless
Will

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Always, always, always ... load as long as you can!

This keeps the pressures down.  No need to over-work your gun.

FYI.... I've got some ~340gr. flat-nosed GC bullets, a custom mould design that another forum participant graciously sent a handful of bullets from.  These load to an OAL of about 1.650" or so - right what you could get with the longer loading.

With said bullet and 20.5 gr. WW296, Winchester Large Pistol primer, this yields about 1150fps and very low extreme spread on the velocity (just a few fps).

Load to the longer length, and keep 'em under 1200fps (possibly a little overly cautious, but better to back off than make a mistake), and you should have a grand old time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts