Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from SW Kansas, opened up the pheasant season.  Bird Population up from last year, had some good shootin.  

Anyways, I brought my new rifle, what my Illiinois friends jokingly refer to as the Buffalo gun.  Its a 45-70 Ruger no. 1, which I have no use for here.  Anyways my wifes family farms close to 15,000 acres around hugoton so I brought it along this time.  Set up a 2.5-gallon crop oil jug and shot at it from 1/10th of a mile and 2/10 of a mile along a dirt road.  HIt it 12 out of 20 from 1/10 and 6 out of fifteen from 2/10.  Got two jack rabbits and a yote out of the milo stubble, both were less than 50 yard shots though.  Was using light 300 grain bullets at about 2100 FPS.  I have little experience with rifles growing up in IL, really gives  you the power to reachout and smight something.  

·
Registered
3 Posts
MattC

Now....if you really want a "kick in the pants"....get you an 1874 Model Sharps in .45/70 or .45/90!  You'd be shooting 550 gr. all lead cast bullets w/straight BP for best performance! To paraphrase a friend....."an 1874 Sharps is what all these other rifles want to be when they grow up!" HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YA!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts