Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made by Muddy. Anyone have one? Your thoughts on user friendly, mouse proof, snow load on the roof, any and all thoughts appreciated. Comfort is high on the list as I spend most of the 9 day rifle season in it. Bow season too but not so much. My last one was 8x8 plywood, thermopane windows, storm door, shooting rests, really nice stand. Wind took it off the wagon 75 feet down hill through stumps. Big time junk. Price to rebuild would be close to Muddy...thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I've looked at a number of pre-constructed blinds. I'm a blind guy. Retired so I spend 40+ days in blinds, wood, fabrick, plastic. I looked at their web site.

Just my thoughts

not specific about construction materials, except roof which is roto moulded plastics.
size isn't given.
windows look small to ME, I like large view to enjoy the woods while watching for deer.
Hardware isn't speced, don't know the quality.

If you buy their tower it looks good, powder coated and heavy 300#.

I did get involved with some of these pre-built plastic blinds. lots of complaints about cracks, weather/temp related. lots of purchaser were told 'suck it up". to me a simple patch with RTV and some spray foam would be fine. But I can understand their complains about $$$ blind problems.

price seems high compared to others I've seen.

If you do not intend to move it eriodically; I'd do a build it my self with large quality windows, heavy 3/4" plywood floors, etc.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Should have added my blinds are for one person only and I use a Mr. Buddy for heat, doesn't make it like home, but takes the chill off.
just a 75 year old deer hunters thoughts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 65, Mr buddy heater is my best friend too. Took a while to find a website that gave specks, pics etc.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
IMO plastic ones have some serious negatives, expensive , not heavy so they move in the wind, not quiet, have a much shorter life.
They go up fast, are easily moved and it's convenient.
If your unable to physically build a wood one buy a common pre-built wood garden shed/storage shed sold in just about every good sized town.
There are also companies that specialize in building little storage sheds to order, the price is about the same and they last forever if you repaint them every 5 years.
I built one 25 years ago and it's still going strong.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,452 Posts
Hay stacks work great too ;) not very portable tho :rolleyes:

RJ

Reactions: Kevinbear

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
How much room do you want inside a blind? I use the IBC frames. The ones which hold the plastic liquid containers found on most farms. Occasionally they get bent and are scrapped. I use the frame on its own and put four 12 inch legs on the bottom then a plywood or stokboard roof. Then hamng camo around the outside. Alternate is as above but retain the plastic contaoner and cut one end off, the other will be the roof. Cut a door in one side for access. Cheap and cheerful but almost free and easy to move with a small trailer.
I just make some metal rod turned at one end and drive them in to prevent the whole thing being blown away. Learned the hardway and I have one which sits at the bottom of a 30ft deep farm slurry pit having been blown there in a storm.
Also easy to dress up with natural materials.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the garden shed idea. The windows in my old one aren't broken I don't think. That might be doable. Thanks for the help. Will update this later.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know what kind of access you have, or if it's feasible for you, but my plan (once I buy property) is to buy a shipping container off of Craigslist. You can get a nice 8'x8'x20' delivered for about $1600 (or the 8'x9'x40' for $2400 if you really want the room). Add a couple of windows, a wood burner, and a cot to sleep on, and you can make hunting VERY comfortable. The only hard part is getting it situated if you are in deep woods.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I like the garden shed idea. The windows in my old one aren't broken I don't think. That might be doable. Thanks for the help. Will update this later.
Lowe's sells 4x8 one for 500.00, it doesn't come with windows and if your unable to use the ones from your old blind don't buy them retail. Google "second hand construction materials" in your area, many of these places go unnoticed to the average person, you can get all kinds of new or like new construction stuff including windows cheap, most of the time 50% or less off retail.

Here's one in Milwaukee, they have alot of windows, looks like there's 2-3 places just in Milwaukee.

http://www.usedbuildingmaterials.com/general-inventory/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts