Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a long time back, when I was in college, a life-long friend and I made a pact to go on safari. We had planned to go the year we turned 35, but that came and went and neither of us had the time or the money to go. A couple of weeks ago we were talking on the phone and the subject was brought up, again. Neither of us really has the time or the money now, either, but both has decided it's important enough to us to not splurge on another gun or two and save a few extra coins to make this happen. Neither of us are young and bold as we used to be and hunting the Big 5 doesn't hold an interest to us. We are thinking about doing a 10 day plains game safari in the rolling hills around Kwa-Zulu Natal for Kudu, Gemsbok, Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala and whatever else might be of interest. This is more about lifelong friends on a hunt in the Dark Continent together than it is about trophies, so we'll share the hunt by doing a 2x1 hunt. I've done a bit of research on the internet, but most of what I've found has been advertisments for this PH or that outfitting service. I'm gifting my wife and mother-in-law (both of which I love dearly) a trip to England for this, so I want to do it right. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
256 Posts
alyeska: Sounds like you have set the real criteria for a hunt. Time with friend(s), new experience, no unreal expectations. Have a good one.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's still a couple of years from happening, but I'm wanting to get everything planned properly so I don't end up losing a gun or cape to customs. Do you have any experience in Africa? The hunt with a lifelong friend in some faraway place that we've always dreamed of hunting is the priority. Yeah we want to take some good representative animals, but not concerned in the least about score. I would like to take a Kudu with ivory tipped horns, same with the Nyala.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've actually talked to Atkinson over there. He's been a great help. I try not to visit that site very much, too much baggage over there and can never tell if people are serious or just seriously ticked off. I'm so glad Marshall has some ground rules here...

·
Registered
250 Posts
A,try Aspen Hill too she seems to be a real lady and dosen't get involved in the BS there,Safari-Hunt is anthoer good guy to try.
Also I can suggest e-mailing T-Carr for his "tips& Packing list for first timers", and Terry Blauckamps" first time safari"
Both have ben very helpfull.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Alyeska,

Have a great time and hunt, but be advised that with all of your posts on the M1895 the members here will expect photos of you standing over game with your M1895 and wearing a campaign hat.

Fireplug

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm,
Actually, I'm thinking of carrying 2 No. 1's. I can't not carry my 338 Ruger No. 1, because, well, BECAUSE!!!! And my, oh my, that Ruger No.1 RSI in 7x57 is such a sweetheart, how can I not carry Karamojo Bell's caliber to Africa? Since this is a plainsgame hunt, I fear the 1895 may be left here for my wife to handle our local bear problems.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would indeed be interesting. I'm reading his book African Game Trails right now as a matter of fact.

I just might have to invite his ghost to sit down, have a sundowner and talk of the Africa he knew. I'd listen, yep, sure would.

We won't get near the areas he hunted, I don't think most of that can be hunted now. I have a feeling the hunt we will be on and the hunt he was on will be worlds apart. Africa has changed a lot in the 35-40 years, sounds like the golden days of the safari are coming to an end.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Alyeska338, I will second the young fellow known as "Safari - Hunt" he is honest and forthright. He has his web sight all set up to view. He knows what hunting is and the best places to get Trophy Animals, not just the run of the mill. There are getting ready to set up a new camp now as a matter of fact.

I also have another friend who went last year with a different Outfitter and he bag 8 out of 10 animals that made the record books. They also filmed his entire hunt for him and I myself viewed this hunt. I was indeed a very good setup and the animals were awsome.

Itaga - Motsumi Safaris, PO Box 114 Rooiberg O500
Telephone (+27) 14 734-1615
Fax (+27) 14 734-1945

Shelanti Game Ranch
Haga Game Ranch
Orion Game Ranch

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the heads-up 2Bits. The more I look into this safari and all the concerns of shipping hides and such, the more priviledged I feel to be living in Alaska. We have such a grand variety of game (and no fences), hundreds of thousands of square miles of wilderness land to hunt and some really tasty critters.

I've noticed some fairly well known PH's in Tanzania and Zimbabwe offer many of the animals we are looking to hunt, also. They are more expensive than RSA, but probably more of what Africa conjures in one's imagination. Travel expense would include an additional charter flight and total daily fee over a 2 week hunt would be about $1,000 more than a high end outfit in RSA. I'll have to do some more investigating, before any commitment. That is one reason we are planning this so far in advance, to figure out all this stuff.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Alyeska338......I will hunt Tans Zim or Namibia before I hunt RSA, that place seems to be to much of a hurry up and shoot and write the check please, not to meantion the fences and riding in trucks until your spot or see the animal on the road or water hole.

I have a good friend who was hunting in RSA and the landowner wanted him NOT to shoot this antelope type animal at 200 yards, he wanted it to get within 50 yards before he shot. Well, needless to say Frank put he dead hurt on the antelope at 223 yards with his 300 win mag.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't go so far as condemn the entire industry in the country of RSA. I'm sure there are a few of "give me your money, now leave" type outfits there, they seem to be in the U.S. as well. However there are many more that have provided clients with comfortable and enjoyable hunts at the client's pace. I've spoken with several folks who have hunted with several different outfits in RSA and Namibia who have went back time and time again. None have felt they were over restricted or hurried in any way.

I think a lot of it (if you are using a reputable outfitter and agent) is to explain what type of hunt you are looking for and what you expect from the PH. Likewise, it is important to listen and understand what the PH and his company is expecting from you. If those two expectations can't find middle ground, you might be better off booking with someone else, somewhere else.

I'm sure there are a ton of clients that travel to Africa not fully prepared and take risky shots or just plain can't shoot. If the PH isn't comfortable with your sight in session or has a run of bad shooting clients before you, he might be a little restrictive on the distance he wants you to shoot. A miss costs him money, a wound also costs him money. Although you would still have to pay a trophy fee for a wounded and lost animal, you may not have the opportunity to take an animal of that or another specie after that and tips, reputation, future bookings, etc... are all at risk. I'm sure PH's would much rather continue your hunt after a well taken shot and meat in camp than to try to track the animal for the next 3 or 4 days, possibly missing out on additional animals and other trophy fees.

My mentioning of Tanzania, Mozambique, Botswana, etc... comes more from hunting more historical and wild lands than what may be offered in RSA. Given the opportunity, I'd love to hunt each country. Hunting Masailand, the Selous, or areas that Hemingway, Roosevelt, Ruark, Jesus Yuren, Boddington and others have spoken so highly of, would be ideal. RSA has a lot going for it though, there isn't another country that offers the variety of plainsgame at RSA numbers and in as wide and varied terrain. Especially spiral horn antelope. Aside from the Bongo and Sitatunga, RSA has a great deal to offer at affordable prices.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Alyeska 338, You might want to try the following URL's for additional information. I have talked with these people in person, but have never hunted with them. www.africasporthuntingsafaris.com for RSA hunts, www.tshabezi.com for Zimbabwe hunts, www.lioncachetsafaris.com for RSA hunts, www. southafricanhunting.com for RSA hunts, www.johnxsafaris.com for RSA hunts, and www.adventuroussafaris.com for Tanzania, Zimbabwe and RSA hunts. Perhaps others may have some practical experience with these PH's that would be of interest to all.
yipikiyo

·
Registered
6 Posts
alyeska338 - Trip to Africa

alyeska338 said:
I wouldn't go so far as condemn the entire industry in the country of RSA. I'm sure there are a few of "give me your money, now leave" type outfits there, they seem to be in the U.S. as well. However there are many more that have provided clients with comfortable and enjoyable hunts at the client's pace. I've spoken with several folks who have hunted with several different outfits in RSA and Namibia who have went back time and time again. None have felt they were over restricted or hurried in any way.

I think a lot of it (if you are using a reputable outfitter and agent) is to explain what type of hunt you are looking for and what you expect from the PH. Likewise, it is important to listen and understand what the PH and his company is expecting from you. If those two expectations can't find middle ground, you might be better off booking with someone else, somewhere else.

I'm sure there are a ton of clients that travel to Africa not fully prepared and take risky shots or just plain can't shoot. If the PH isn't comfortable with your sight in session or has a run of bad shooting clients before you, he might be a little restrictive on the distance he wants you to shoot. A miss costs him money, a wound also costs him money. Although you would still have to pay a trophy fee for a wounded and lost animal, you may not have the opportunity to take an animal of that or another specie after that and tips, reputation, future bookings, etc... are all at risk. I'm sure PH's would much rather continue your hunt after a well taken shot and meat in camp than to try to track the animal for the next 3 or 4 days, possibly missing out on additional animals and other trophy fees.

My mentioning of Tanzania, Mozambique, Botswana, etc... comes more from hunting more historical and wild lands than what may be offered in RSA. Given the opportunity, I'd love to hunt each country. Hunting Masailand, the Selous, or areas that Hemingway, Roosevelt, Ruark, Jesus Yuren, Boddington and others have spoken so highly of, would be ideal. RSA has a lot going for it though, there isn't another country that offers the variety of plainsgame at RSA numbers and in as wide and varied terrain. Especially spiral horn antelope. Aside from the Bongo and Sitatunga, RSA has a great deal to offer at affordable prices.

alyeska338
I am just going through the comments about hunting in Africa. I am not certain if you have already gone or not, but I think it would be enjoyable. My wife and I have an acquaintance who owns a safari company in Botswana. Steve Rann and his brother, Jeff, own Rann Safaris. You can find them on the Internet at www.rannsafaris.com. I am certain that they could prbably give you pertinent information about such a trip.
Martin Wade
[email protected]

·
Registered
471 Posts
There you go Alaska338 a heads up and a step up, you can't beat that, Id give them a call, this could save you running around and money in the long run, always good to know a home boy;) Good luck to your hunt, it will be something to remember, good friends and good hunting, can't top that. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd love to hunt Botswana, but it is a little out of my reach.

Our trip has been delayed. My original "accomplice" backed out. Found another good friend that wanted to go, but I can't get him nailed down on when or where. Given that it takes about year in advance booking, nailing things down early really helps...

I sent a deposit to a booking agent for Zimbabwe, and a couple of months ago he called and said that he couldn't in good faith hold the Zim trip, the country is just too unstable to recommend hunting next year. We will see how this pans out.

Guess I'm going alone, but will likely be 2006, instead of next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alyeska338
Sorry that you have to put off your trip to Africa, I'd enjoy something like that, but for now I'd just be happy to go hunting in your neck of the woods. I have friends who live up there and they keep inviting me, but my wife has no desire to wander about the country as I do. So I have to be satisfied with hunting in Kansas this fall and Montana next year.
Just seems a shame that all I can hunt is a few pheasants and quail, or the occasional wild pig. BTW, I use an 870 for all of the above including the pig.
martin wade
mpw%@excite.com

·
Registered
429 Posts
too bad

Sorry to read about the delay Alyeska338. Might I suggest Namibia or RSA as places to consider. Prices are very reasonable in Namibia. I just got my trophys in last month from my hunt in RSA. Do plan to go back one day. Would love to try a long range shot at a Kalahari Springbok.

I have to agree with you about the costs of hunting Botswana, it is for RICH hunters. I have been through the Okavango and Chobe areas and hunting there would be a dream come true. Just like hunting in the days of Hemingway. Maybe, one day, if I win the lottery.

I would stay out of Zimbabwe. Don't know what you might find yourself getting into. If you don't find anyone to go within a few months, contact me and maybe we can work something out. 2006 was about my time frame for a return hunt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts