Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right on, Team! I couldn't stand it anymore so I got Jack Pickett to get me one. It also has one of those fake safety buttons in it, but my reciever sight is not in. I burnt up my last little stash of 250 gr LFN on top of 14 grs AA5. This is a moderate 1200+'/" load in the SBH. In the rifle? At 30 yards-one big ragged hole! Looking at the feeding I wonder if a bigger meplat would clear going in. It seems I heard some one say these ported barrels did not work well with hard cast bullets?? I want to stay in the 1200'/" range in SBH with the 250 LFN and would like some idea of the velocity in the carbine. As per Marshall's suggestion, I am using bullets sized .4315" in my SBH. Will this size work for the carbine? Now I am really going to work on "The Swamp Crawlers" tractor tire! Any feedback would be appreciated!
Best Regards, James

(Edited by James Gates at 4:20 pm on Feb. 26, 2001)

·
Registered
192 Posts
All right James!!!

I love my 1894. Its the standard version but still plenty of fun. Glad to hear the 250 LFN worked, those are supposed to be too long to feed correctly. I have some on order and can't wait to try some.

I've used the 240 and 280 WFN without any trouble. I have a feeding problem I haven't been able to nail down yet but its not due to the bullet type. Gas check is the way to go with the ports, I understand the ports will lead with plain base bullets. Marshall recommended a .432 inch bullet for the Marlin. Have you slugged yours yet? My Ruger should like the .4315 bullets better so I think I'll standardize with the smaller bullet. Lap that rifle, the dovetails and barrel bands cause all sorts of constrictions.

Add another 200 or so fps to your pistol load and that should be about right for the carbine. I've got the Ashley ghost ring sights on mine and it certainly makes a fast point and shoot rifle. Aint little lever guns fun?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Friend MT....I have not slugged this Marlin yet but I bet Marshall is right @ .432 for bullets. I'm going to compromise @ .4315" because of the SBH. Noboby told me the 250 LFN would not feed...I just filled up the mag and started burning powder. I do note that the nose of the LFN "barely" clears the top of the chamber going in, but in they go. It looks like if a few thousandths were taken off the front of the follower it would drop the point down better. I did find one problem...A friend sent me some Ogival Wadcutters to test on the tractor tire.They can in today just before I picked up the carbine. They weigh in at 280 grs and what a bullet they are. They have a meplat of .360+" and would be a great hog bullet if I ever there was one. With 22 grs of WW 296 they tear one big ragged hole at 30 yards with the carbine. But....for some reason I can't put but one through the loading gate then no more??? I like this little rifles lack of barrel bands. It has the old time rifle forearm nose cap and the rifle type dovetail mag cap. I think after a trigger job and breaking in it will be a sweetheart. I did get that dummy safety button that's flush on both sides. Doesn't look bad at all. I'm going to put a reciever sight on but have not decided which. I have an old merit adjustable peep that screws in all standard reciever sight. It works like a camera iris. Screw it down for fine sight, open it for brush shots. I'm not going to hike up the 1200/1300'/" load much, if any. That LFN killed (I think) 6 deer and one hog this year @ that velocity with complete penetration. The recovery time in the SBH is fast! I'll just have to wait and see after I get my next shipment from Marshall. I shot up what little I had stashed. You know it's funny...they say life goes in a circle. I cut my teeth on a Mod. 94 in .25-35 Win.
I hunted all over and in Europe with a boltgun and in the swamps with an autoloader...and here, at my age, back to leverguns? Oh well!
I have seen lately you are jumping in on more posts..you have allot to offer..stay in there even more! I always enjoy your approach! I get hard-headed some time, but it was many years ago that "I went to town and saw the Elephant!". Well, time to feed the bulldogs..Good Night My Friend, James  

(Edited by James Gates at 8:32 pm on Feb. 26, 2001)

·
Registered
192 Posts
James,

That same friend sent me some Ogival Wadcutters in 38 caliber to try and some of his "dud" 44's. What a bullet. I'm fighting to get some loading bench time to load some 38 specials with his 150 grain OWC and see what kind of coyote medicine it might be. The 44's looked incredible.

I spoke to a certain bullet caster who will remain nameless (his picture has been posted elsewhere on this forum) about the possibilty of introducing a gas checked 265 grain OWC in 44 caliber as part of the product line. It certainly would be fun out of a revolver. I hope this idea comes to fruition after that certain fellow catches up with his back log. Until then I've got plenty of work to do playing with the 280 grain WFN GC and the 250 grain LFN GC.

Thanks for the kind words, I enjoy being part of this great forum. Its truly a great group of people.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear MT...I did try some of those great "Dud" .430's out of my SBH...They are great!! I say we are not 'Shooting" them, we are "Hurling" them..I'm sure out ancestors had the same pleasure with their catapults, hurling great stones upon some nasty person's castle wall.."Scots wae hie" !!!
Let me know if the OWC's feed into your mag tube! Best Regards, James

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Gentlemen,

Good Day to you all!

I've been off the computer for several days now, putting in some 16 and 18 hour days getting bullets out the door.   Sorry for not interacting, but bullets are what keep things afloat!

I too got some of those "dud"  .44-OWC's!   We WILL have an OWC bullet in .38/.357, .44 and .45LC calibers!  It won't be for a while, as it takes time to get the molds cut, but the are slated to be a regular line item here at Beartooth!

Mr. Gates and Mr. Callahan, I've recieved a new mold, and I'll send you gents some bullets with your orders that should be shipping shortly.    The bullet should be great for your 1894's.  It is a 260-265g (mold will be here tomorrow, don't know exact weight for sure) WFNGC for the .44's!   This mold has been on order for about five months, and I think it will be an excellent balance of the WFN's nose profile to weight for these carbines.   It should be pleasant to shoot in them, superbly accurate and punch BIG holes through targets!

Mr. Gates, welcome back to leverguns!  See what these new pills do for that little hummer!

Well gents, I'll answer more later this evenining, but have orders to get out before FedEx and UPS get here, so until then,

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since my last post..I broke the Marlin down and went over everything witm #600. found a few burrs. One bad one where the back of the firing pin slot was milled down to th little hump the hammer rides over when the bolt comes back. Stoned the hump and top of hammer. The hammer screw could fit better and the trigger, well let's just say it was bad! I've smoothed it up some and will wait to see how it breaks in. It also looks like the trigger return spring is about twice as strong as it should be.I'm sure these Marlins are much stronger, but they sure are not as nice inside as I remember
the guns of 40 years ago.Those old Marlins were fitted up like a fine watch and smooth...... At first I couldn't get the OWC's to feed into the Mag tube. Now they do if I just push in to the left on the rim. It must turn that nose just enough to snake in. I had afew OWC loaded up with 21 grs of WW 296 that I tried also. There's "was" an old bag of cement that had gotten wet and set. I drug it up and propped it up to a tree. I back off about 15 paces and let drive! It broke up into pieces! when I was loading the junk into the truck I found what remained of the bullet. The entire nose was blown off but the base was perfect. The gas check was still intact with grooves showing. That bullet took some impact! I don't think a Tusker's shield would slow it down. I like the idea of 260/265 weight! That should give good velocity and weight ratio, with a wound channel next to none for the .44 Mag!
Whatever load I end up with for the SBH and the Marlin, I'm sure most people on the Forum will think as puny. If you were to push that 265 out of the rifle barrel around 1600 '/" it would shoot lengthwise through any Spanish Hog that ever ate a hickory nut! Oh well......!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
192 Posts
HA HA !! :eek: New bullets!!

Can't wait for the new WFN weight Marshall. I wanted a WFN GC in between the 240 and 280 and thought I was just being hard to please, now I want no more. The OWC being available in the "big" three calibers will be fun as well.

Mr. Gates, I'm right along with you as far as not hot rodding my 44's. I figure if a 250 grain bullet at 1200 fps made a legend of the 44 that a bullet with a big flat nose moving just a bit slower should work just fine for me. I'm just waiting for the mercury to rise in my neck of the woods so I can do some serious load development. The 44 caliber OWC's I received were just for looking at. They were rejects after sizing but they certainly got my attention. Will you be able to tag one of your swamp hogs with an OWC anytime soon?

By the way, I thought I was the only one who shot at concrete :biggrin:

(Edited by MT Callahan at 12:46 pm on Feb. 28, 2001)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear Friends All....Contender, I don't like the flying beer can name. THESE ARE HURLING GARBAGE CAN SIZE! Love them!
MT...Cissey had been trying to get me to move that old bag of cement for sometime! Now that it's gone....she said she would load me some shells to get rid of the limerocks on our place! Oh Well...........!
I'm not against the big guns you fellows are playing with now! In fact I admire all the work and development your doing! Back in '56 we never dreamed that what you all are doing with weight, velocity, and ACCURACY chould even be done within the limits of gun and man. Don't get me wrong, other than being a little shot up and banged around, this old 6' 3/2" frame since works. But......I still think the levels Ole Elmer put on the .44 Special and Magnum are the best for all around "dirty" shooting. To me a handgun is just that a Hand Gun. What I require out of it may not be other's requirements. I hear allot about "big" game. I'm like Paco Kelly, when he said " The wild hog is nature's TANK!" That does not count 1st or 2nd generation feral hogs, but rather a 10th generation Spanish or Russian Tusker! Still, all in all.... a 250/265 gr BTB bullet @ 1200'/" will knock the taste out of his mouth! I know, I've done it so many times it's old school! So...when the powders is burned quick, nasty, and close..I take Ole Keith's word for it! By my calculations, and I might be wrong, ballistics out of the Marlin will match the the "Bigguns", what more do you want?
Now for the "nasty" word for this Forum..Jacketed Bullets! I've been doing a clean out of .44 Mag. odd and ends, running through the Marlin. There were seven of Wichester's Nosler Partitions rolling around in my tie tac box. Sonnie Youngblood had handed me 10 at some time back..I burnt 3 in the SBH a year ago..not bad at all. So I shoved them in the Marlin and sat down on the deck amd begain working on Cissy's oak log problem! If I 'were" to shoot Jacketed, these would be IT! But that was an "If"!
Sometimes I think we ask too much of Marshall! He's been, you know what, to the walls trying to get our orders out, improvements on the lube, and updates on the Web page! My hat's off to the "The Dynanic Duo".....Marshall and Alex! And to the girls and Gayle...We know the "cross" you have to bear with those two!
Thank all of you for your feedback on leverguns...I'm afraid hog hunting is over until next cool weather. but.....who know what might "crawl" through since it's "bellowing season"!
Best Regards, James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts