Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm the FNG to this forum and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am a big fan of this forum and have found many answers to questions I had here. To all those who have helped me without knowing it, thank you. I'm thrilled to finally be a member. I really enjoy shooting and love talking shop with shooters. I spend a lot of time at the range shooting and hanging out and love being a part of the shooting community. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself.

(moderator edit)

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community and I look forward to chatting.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in, have fun, and be polite. Also, absolutely no advertising without the owner's prior permission, so I removed the promotional portion of your greeting. Absolutely no politics not directly firearm related.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Welcome, "Fun New Guy"...be advised that this a forum of predominantly Christian members who observe good manners and language. While there are more than a few ex-military and LEOs here who know what FNG really means, it's probably best to stick to less colorful acronyms or abbreviations. :)

Got any good questions about guns or reloading?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starting Off on the Wrong Foot....

My apologies for the advertising and not so colorful wording. As most of you have probably guessed, I am x-military (1st battalion 16th infantry). My intentions were not to come on here and spam and be rude. You only need to tell me once and hope we can move on.

broom_jm posed the question of if I had any good questions, and I do. I am in the market for another handgun right now and I have narrowed it down to 3: 1) Glock 19 2) Walther P99 3) S&W M&P9. I know that most of you will say Glock, and I do like the Glock, but what can anybody tell me about the Wlather 99 and S&W. I have a Walther P22 with laser sights and love it. I just hate breaking it out at the range because the guys next to me are normally shooting hand canons and tanks. Plus, my laser sights are normally all over the place. It looks like I have some serious hand control issues....

That poses my next question. Can anybody keep a laser sight steady?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,107 Posts
Don't sweat it. I'm sure you'll fit right in. Once of these days I'll teach Ken how to edit threads.... :p

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Rockturner,

Welcome to the site from across the pond. I'm retired Army but still downrange. As to your questions I'll see if I can help.
1) Glock 19, good dependable gun. I've used them before and never liked the grip or trigger. New 4th Gen have different backstraps. However, got one coming as a gift from my son who is also down range.
2) Walther P99, another good realible gun. Maunal of arms a bit different with the decocker button on the slide. Does have changable back straps to fit.
3) S&W M&P9- Another excellent gun, changable backstraps

All are good reliable guns. CT makes a laser grip for the Glock and Smith (I have 4 different CT grips). See which feels best in your hands and which can you get the best deal on. As far as the laser staying still, start with your stance and hold. Thats one of the advantages of the laser as a training device is that you can see your unsteadiness and work to improve. I've used my CT grips on the M9 for hits on a 8x10" target at 100yds or shooting upside down. Once you have a solid shooting stance, then apply the other fundamentals as sight picture, breathing and trigger control. Laser's are a great ad for me when shooting weak hand or one handed also.
Again, welcome to the site.

CD

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum,sir. Hope you have a good stay here. Thanks for your service to this(our) country.

I would like the opportunity to cast my vote for the Glock19. I have had the OD version some some 4 years now and I consider it one of the ultimate training AND carry weapons. It started out as a personal weapon but has transitioned into a training weapon with installed Lasermax.

I teach a concealed carry/SD class for the spouses of active and retired military and it has become an excellent training tool for trigger control and sight alignment. However I also stress don't rely entirely on any device other that mounted open sights.

Da Dot ---> with practice the laser dot can be kept fairly steady thru the entire trigger take up of "even" a Glock. I have one installed in my Glock20 also that is a dedicated hunting pistol. (it is installed for training ONLY)

Again,welcome to the forum. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rook, first off, welcome to the forum. Lots of guys here with lots of good information.

As for your choices of guns, I am very anti-glock (sorry guys, I said it, can't take it back now). I just don't think they're comfortable to shoot, and given the choice of a polymer frame gun, I'll go with the M&P anyday. The M&P 9mm was actually the 2nd gun I bought, and I've loved it. I've fired close to 2000 rounds through it, and haven't had any issues with it.

Can't help you with the Walther though, only walther I've shot is the P22.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Based on your purposes for it, make up a short list of things you believe would be true of the perfect gun, so you can check your choices for each of them. If you can, find a range that rents handguns by the hour and that has a gun you are looking at so you may try it.

For example, suppose my list included having to have a double-action trigger. Like Combat Diver, I don't care for the feel of the Glock when I pick one up. The main reason is that the size and shape of my hand doesn't permit it to contact my palm well, so my grip on it doesn't feel as solid as I like. However, my strong side hand's tendons move a lot in my palm when I shoot double-action. The lack of palm contact therefore actually allows me to easily work a Glock trigger double-action without disturbing the sight picture. The low barrel line also minimizes muzzle flip and makes sight picture recovery fast despite my lack of solid palm contact. I'd expected the opposite to be true. As a result, if I worked for a public sector agency that prohibited cocked-and-locked single-action carry, the Glock, despite its "feel" would wind up being my choice. It's just an artifact of personal anatomy that I would not have discovered without trying one out.

For hold steadying, try looking through books for different grips and stances. Try the Weaver stance. I know it's fallen out of fashion in some quarters, but as with my experience with the Glock, anatomy is personal and that applies to hold and stance as well as to weapon choice. The Weaver does tend to steady your hands well if it is done properly. Often it is not. Take a look at Chuck Taylor's, Complete Book of Combat Handgunning to see how it is done correctly.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We look forward to your participation.

As to your question, I cast my vote for the M&P9. I am not familiar with the other two, so I cannot offer a comparison, and I suspect the quality of all three is very good. I chose the M&P because I liked the way it fit my hand, and the I thought the important functions of the gun are laid out in an intuitive manner. In other words, if I ever really need it, I can pick it up and use it effectively without thinking about it. Those are the criteria I recommend to everyone who is shopping for a defensive handgun.
For me, the choice came down to the M&P and the XD, and the M&P won. I should mention that I am a S&W revolver fan, namely K frames. I own around a dozen 22LR Smiths, mostly K-22's of various vintage and configuration, so I am a bit biased.
Good luck with your choice, and don't forget to post pictures. They are mandatory you know!

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,517 Posts
Welcome rookturner, good to have you.

For those who don't know FNG stands for Friendly New Guy. I think I was one of those once here myself :D

Answer: With such a light framed gun as the Glock anyway I don't think anyone can hold laser sights ssssttttteeeady. That's why I don't like them.

RJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Eveyone

Hey everyone. Thank you all for the welcome and information. That's why I love this forum. The information is always solid and everyone seems really cool. I haven't made up my mind on the handgun yet, but it's simply going to come down to how it feels. I purchased a XD9 over a Glock 19 and have regretted it ever since. I fell for the look and not the feel. The XD9 doesn't fit me right and my 1st couple shots are always way off. It takes me a few rounds to get comfortable with it. Everytime I've shot a Glock 19, I can normally settle right in. I've never shot the S&W or P99, so I can't rule them out yet. Thanks again for your feedback.

Next question, I'm interested in rifle competition and have been looking around for some events to join (NRA and local). I have never competed in this sport before so does anyone have any advice for me? My background is military and am skilled with the military issued M-16 and my S&W M&P 15-22, but I know that doesn't mean anything when it comes to competition. I want to start off doing small bore to get a feel for the sport; can I compete small bore with my S&W M&P 15-22 or would I be the laughing stock?

I look forward to hear from everyone.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Rookturner -

Might want to ask the question on military rifle competition in the "Ex-Military Rifle and Cartridges" forum, as that's the proper place to post the query. We try to keep the General Discussion forum for things that normally won't fit in any of the others and to greet new members. Questions specific to certain types of firearms are provided with their own forums.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
You can't really compete with the 15-22, but just about any ~$200-~$500 bolt action .22LR or tricked 10/22 will be very competitive.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Rookturner,

Where are you located? There is the Johnny Appleseed matches/training where you can use your 15-22. Also DCM military matches are nationwide (long range 100yds -1000yds). Or are you looking for 3 gun matches? ISPC, IDPA are nationwide and run 3 gun matches.

CD

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I guess I too am a FNG, Forgetful Not-so-new Grandpa. Looking forward to reading some of your posts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts