Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I haven't been to this sight in many years, as I changed interests/hobbies for a while there. Well, I'm back for the time being anyway.
I read in Hunting For Handgunners, by Larry Kelly and JD Jones of Hal Swiggett, about hunting small game using handguns. His favorite was an old Charter Arms .22 revolver with a custom scope and mount. I've always admired his idea of a small compact scoped .22 for small game hunting, which brings me this this project.
I'm using a stainless North American Arms Mini Mag .22/.22mag revolver. I have low scope rings that have been modified a bit to attach to the rib over the barrel. The scope is a stainless red dot type that fits between the iron sights (sights don't need to be removed).
I still need to modify the front ring a bit, and it will be ready to sight in the gun.
Anyone else do such a thing?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I have never heard of it but it should make for an interesting project.
I have a friend who has one of these. He put a ring in the butt and wears it on a chain under his shirt. The 40-grain Federal .FMJ load will break 800 fps from the 2.5” barrel.
You need to post a picture when you get the scope mounted. A ring in the butt with a tether around your neck might help steady it.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Do remember the articles with that little 3" Charter (and i believe a Hudson Handgunner pistol scope). One of the guns from that era that i copied (but i honestly don't remember if it was Hal's idea or not) put an Phantom scope on a Hawes reprodutcion of a Stevens single shot .22 pistol (pretty close to the Stevens "Lords" model).

I just couldn't take that little scoped .22 out of its case at the range without having people come over and ask about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll post a pic soon. I still want to modify the front ring a bi.
When shooting this revolver using iron sights it does seem promising with it's accuracy. I'm hoping the scope wil make me a better shooter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts