Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellers.

I thought I would post a pic or two of my new Marlin 336 Cowboy conversion in 30-30.

We are all well aware that Cerebus/Freedom/Remington is closing the Marlin plant in North Haven CT. In fact all new leverguns are now being built in the Remington plant in Illion, NY. The bolt action and rimfire rifles are being built in Remington's Mayfield, KY plant. NO more guns will be built in the old Marlin plant and all the Marlin employees have been or will be let go. The service shop at Marlin will close on Sept 7th.

Anywho, about 3 weeks ago I emailed a feller I know in the shop and asked if he happened to have a CB 30-30 barrels hid out somewhere. He wrote me back and said the few barrels they had left over were reserved for Marlin employees who wanted the CB conversion but he had already taken care of those folks and had a barrel left. He went on to tell me to send my donor rifle to Marlin service and he would perform the CB conversion for me. I sent my beloved model 30TK as it was the only 30-30 I had that didn't have sentimental attachments. It had been used hard since new in 1989 and needed rebluing but Rem had already moved the bluing equipment to NY so he done what he could do with it. I sent it to Marlin last Monday, it arrived Wed, and was back in route to me by Wed evening. It arrived at my house Friday evening. You should have seen the grin on my face as I took it out of the box.

The best, or worst?? part is this is the very last 336 Cowboy conversion of any caliber to ever be done in the old Marlin plant and most likely the last one ever. It came with a letter of authenticity stating that it in fact is the last one and signed by the folks in the Marlin shop. It turned out beautifully and is a real treasure to me. I consider it a great honor to own the last 336 CB rifle and wanted to show everyone how it turned out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That was a one in a million chance to happen, congrats, now it must be a safe queen because it's a part of Marlins history and it is now HEIRLOOM status.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No safe queen here. It will go to the woods after black bear and deer this fall. I will likely put a used set of wood on it for the hunt. Would hate to skin that new wood up.

·
Banned
397 Posts
I'm jealous. Would love to have that rifle. Good luck with it.
It sure is nice and that wood is outstanding.

Zeke

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
That is one cool treasure! Beautiful work too! Something you'll always have sentimental value with.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellers.

I am very proud to have this rifle and if a deer or bear happens to be in front of it I hope to knock the stuffing out of them with it. It will be used to hunt with. The 30TK it started out as has killed more deer for me than all my other rifles combined and I see no reason to stop using it now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
30-30's are a dime a dozen, buy another one and enjoy, but what you have is a verified with signed paperwork Marlin Rifle, that is the last 30-30 Cowboy, made/retrofited in the New Haven plant, period, there will be no more. I would make copies of the paperwork, I then would have a presentation case made up that would have a glass front, I would hang the rifle/paperwook on the wall in the presentation case, and enjoy it! I would guarantee if I had the last Marlin 444, with paperwork made in New Haven, by the last New Haven employees, it too would be in a presentation case!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starrbow,

I understand your way of thinking and I did give it serious consideration myself. However I wanted this rifle to hunt with and hunt it will. If I happen into another 336 CB 30-30 I may very well retire this one as it is special.

Cowboy 30-30's ain't a dime a dozen. Most bring upwards of 1000 bucks nowadays. I have several other 30-30's already but this will be my main deer rifle. That was it's intended purpose all along and will never be for sale, while I am living anyhow. I will take better care of it now than I did with the original 30TK. Just can't bring myself to put it away and never use it. Been using a 336 CB 38-55 for 10 years and it still looks like a new one.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it is. I got the replacement pin and ring from six_gunz over at the MO's forum. I still have the original parts though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ralph,

He no longer makes them. However there is another feller at Marlin Owners.com that goes by the handle of "Cody WY" that is currently making them in blue and SS. Don't have any contact info on him but if you join the MO's forum and search his handle you can send him a private message about them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Beautiful gun! I like your thinking, guns are made to be shot, not sit in the gun safe collecting dust. Hope you have fun with it and happy hunting!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
North Have didn't do case coloring at the time this rifle was made or it would have been. been thinking about sending it to Al Springer for a case color job but just haven't been able to do it yet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought my Marlin 444 in 2009 shortly before spending the winter in northern Idahomafter my little granddaughter was born. Ir is a New Haven rifle and one of my favorites. I bought a used .357 that Shoots smooth and true. They really had something at that New Haven plant that remains very special.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the New haven plant was closed in 1968 and moved to North Haven. all Marlins since 1968 were built in the North Haven factory at 100 Kenna drive,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts