Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Model 52 Winchester has status, in it’s 60 year history, the rifle was unsurpassed for trigger control, accuracy and dependability.

The long 26” heavy barreled rifle was an instant classic in the small bore world of shooting competitors, and justly so. But putting all the mumbo jumbo aside, the rifle had one purpose, shooting “bullseye” and with Anshutz and other rifles taking center stage, the old “52” has seen her time in the lime lights come and go.

Here is my dilemma the old 12 pound rifle sits in its slot in my gun cabinet, rarely pulled out and shot, not for want or need, but simply because the old bull barreled rifle is to dog gone heavy!

My particular Winchester 52 rifle was purchased nearly 22 years ago, it had two stocks that came with the rifle, a Fajen thumb holed stock, and a nice original stock somebody had checkered, and nicely done.

The rifle was not original when I purchased it, the trigger work was done by someone wanting a lighter trigger pull, and a canjar trigger installed and the factory safety removed.

Since collector value is about zip on my particular rifle, I was thinking about sporterizing the old 22 for a more enjoyable accurate plinker rifle. Finding a suitable stock may be tougher than finding a lighter barrel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated; those folks thinking I should allow the old gun to rest in peace, your comments are welcome also.

Thanks

Chris45

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . . Any suggestions would be appreciated; those folks thinking I should allow the old gun to rest in peace, your comments are welcome also.
Thanks
Chris45
As a 52D owner, let yours RIP. IMO, a bull barrel and sporter stock does not make a desireable combination when the day comes to sell your rifle. I believe you can still get 52 parts from either eBay or Outback Guns should you be inclined to restore your rifle. Mine is original military issue and will stay that way when someday, it gets passed down to my son. Just my dos centavos, YMMV.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marshal Kane

My 52 is a "B" and I was thinking I might put a lighter barrel on the action, and of course keep the original bull barrel in the closet. I did get all the parts to put the original stock back on it, butt plate, trigger guard and a few other things from a parts catalog.

Your probably right in that I could get a trigger assembly and safety to put the rifle back to original condition, but it would still sit in the cabinet, as a heavy target rifle suitable for bullseye shooting.

My first thought was to cut about 4" off the barrel, and have it fluted...but that would destroy the value totally...My kids can fight over the other 30-40 rifles and shotguns when i'm gone.

Chris

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The bottom rifle, below, is a pre-A Model 52 slow-lock that was sporterized via shortening the barrel, adding sporting sights/scope, and restocking.

·
Banned
605 Posts
If it can be restored to the original configuration then that's what I would do. I, for one, would LOVE to take the target rifle out into the Squirrel Woods and have a go at it. It would work great and be a lot of fun besides. But, I'm fortunate. In my crippled up state I would take in North with me to my favorite squirrel hangout. I am able to sit at a picnic table on State Land and shoot squirrels. Shot my very first squirrel with such a rifle, target peeps and all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi ranger 44

beautiful rifles... who did the stock work?

au2183, thanks for the advise, more than likely I will keep the old rifle original, but its a shame to not use the gun, I do have other 22's to shoot, but the accuracy and trigger on that rifle is superb.

I have never taken the rifle hunting primarily due to the fact there is no safety on the rifle, this configuration is used for target shooting. loading one at a time...but it will fill one hole at 50 feet with 10 shots.

Thanks for all the input.

Chris

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Hi Chris,

IMO, your 52 will be worth much more left in it's original state or even restored. Once parts are changed, it becomes more difficult finding a buyer who appreciates the changes made and you may never retrieve what you put into it. My original 52D, showing all the abuse the military put on it, is still being sold for around $1K to collectors and competition shooters and may possibly appreciate inasmuch as these rifles are becoming rarer and rarer on the market. You might consider the advice of a previous poster who suggested you sell the rifle and purchase another one with the features you're looking for, however, if I owned your rifle, I would restore it with original parts in a heartbeat and keep it as an investment. Best wishes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd leave it original if your wanting a lighter target 22. I'd bet you can fine one for much less that you can an original Winchester 52.. The kimber's from the CMP may fit your bill....As far as the 53 restore it or sell it, but remember your kids may appreciate it (as is) also down the road. I have three mod 52.. A pre A, a mod D, and a mod C they also sit in my safe and collect dust (mostly) but I ain't selling them anytime soon.. The pre A was modified years ago cut barrel etc..but still fetched $1K.. your gun may be worth more than you think.. B2B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts