Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M71 has been mostly a carry-about-rifle, and has only been shot at the range. But last sunday a roe deer lamb came to my post in the woods. The M71 spoke, and after 30 yards of running, the roe fell to the ground. The shot had hit where I sighted, and there wasn't much of meat destruction.

The M71 is fun to shoot at the range, and performs well in the wood. Next time it will hopely stand a moose in front of the muzzle.

Pete

Attachments

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Was that a 348 Winchester? It sure did a number on that deer! Do those taste as good as whitetails?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was that a 348 Winchester? It sure did a number on that deer! Do those taste as good as whitetails?
1. Yes, 348 Wcf with 250 grs Barnes Original FN.

2. I cannot answer your second question, as we don´t have any whitetails here. But IMHO it tastes much better than fallow deer, elk or moose. The meat is darker and have a stronger taste than other venison meats.

Pete

·
Registered
7,827 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Sheriff

·
Registered
925 Posts
SansSouci, no problem you can have a Winchester Model 71 right now.

There are 41 rifles listed on Guns International right now from various dealers, all it takes is MONEY!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Old Shatterhand,

Please give me warning before you post about your Model 71 .348 Win, the best lever action ever made. That way, I can avoid being forlorn all day.

Unless, of course, you want to sell it to a very good home...;-)

"Oh, yes, it's cryin' time again..."

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
"...Model 71 .348 Win, the best lever action ever made." not really true--It is the best Winchester ever made. The 92 is a close second.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a model 71 yesterday from the owner's widow and it previously was his father's. Serial number indicates 1938 vintage.
A long tang M71, isn't it? Congrats to a fine rifle!

Btw, mine is from 1946.

P

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Btw, today I disassambled the gun and cleaned it up from dirt and gummed oil. That part of the job was the easy one. To assemble the gun again was, however, not quite easy. I had to work by trial and error, but when I finally had put everything on the proper place, I could hardly work the lever. The reason was a bit unexspected: the screw for the loading gate was slightly long, and touched the carrier. I shortened the screw, and then I could cycle the gun again.

Hopely I will not have to do this job again. It was rather tedious, and I thought a while, that I would not be able to assemble it.

P.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, first the payment to a greedy swede, then exportation licence, importation licence, shipment over the Pool and custom duties. You would get a nib Deluxe version for that money. ;-)

F.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Old Shatterhand,

I have a way around our predicament. Give my new rifle to a drop dead gorgeous Swedish bikini model of which there are many up your way, send her out my way, we'll tie the knot, then she'll give me the rifle as a wedding present. Then you can come out for visitation rights and even use it on huge Rocky Mountain elk. Better yet, we can plan an Alaskan hunting reunion. However, I don't suspect my bride will be doing the bikini thing in frigid temperatures. We'll have to off-shore out of San Diego for Swedish bikini fishing exposition.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Due to winter season, I am not quite sure which (witch?) of the surrounding ladies, who would be a suitable person for the bikini model job. Because of that and other connected problematics, I'd rather take the rifle hunting.

Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts