Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bullseye,

Get this book when you get the opportunity.
“Metallic Ammunition for the Springfield Breech-Loading Rifle-Musket, 1870.

This book has the earliest reference I have found to the “center-fire cartridge.” If someone has an earlier reference I hope they will post it.
This book is the interesting story of the Springfield Arsenal learning to make tooling and manufacturing of cartridges for the: “Springfield breech-loading rifle-musket, caliber, .50” the 50-70 trapdoor.
The description of the specific steps taken in the manufacture of the cartridge cases and bullets is very interesting. The statement in the forward by Bvt. Maj. Gen. A. B. Dyer is interesting: “At this period our experience was limited to the production of a few experimental cartridges at the Armory and at this Arsenal, with deficient machinery and unskilled labor.”

I don’t want to spoil your fun but there are a number of very interesting facts given in the book. For instance: “A bullet machine will make, in a day of ten hours, thirty thousand bullets.”

This was after a man had cast fifteen hundred bars of lead in a ten hour day and then a man and a boy would trim three thousand bars of lead in a ten hour day.
There is the interesting statement: “A boy will trim and gauge, in a day of ten hours, fifteen thousand bullets.” Long, hard days with no child labor laws.

The Arsenal used a Schultz Chronoscope to measure the velocity of the 50-70 cartridges.

An interesting book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=zK...on for the springfield breech-loading&f=false

Here is a book on the Schultz Chronoscope, there are a number of books on early chronographs on google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y_...chronoscope&lr=&as_brr=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the mosty interesting parts is the comparison of accuracy between the paper patch and the lubricated bullets. Just as we do they varied the patch length and the patch lubricant. The intial accuracy without cleaning was good but the lubricated bullet held up very well for the long run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts