Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I believe "Ranch Dog" related that his experience with the .25ACP with Cast lead bullets was that it was 'Quite Effective' in dispatching Trapped Feral Hogs at a range of about 21 feet.
Also I read in WW2 Histories that it was used to Execute over 4000 Victims of Nazi Retribution or Cleansing.
And numerous News Reports seem to indicate a .22Short, professionally used, is very effective in Assassinations, again out of short barrel Semi-Auto pistols..

Yes, a stubby Barrel length DOES limit its Effective Range and Abilities; but there are ways to 'improve' on both.

My Current Guess is that a 60 or 65 Grain Flat Nose Bullet would get Effect than the Current Standard 40 grain round nose FMJ loading. But I am in No position to test that Idea Thoroughly.

Best Regards.
Chev. William

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay guys, don't be scared, tell us about the 25 ACP you shoot! Another topic got me to wondering how many of you are "closet" shooters of this cartridge!

What are you shooting?
Ask Travis Alexander what HE thinks of the .25 ACP. Oh wait, you can't because he's DEAD! And the .25 ACP that struck his forehead taversed downward, diagonally through his head! The little .25 ACP gets no respect yet it's a good at killing as is the .22 LR.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Do some Load development in your .25ACP!
Example: in a Custom .25ACP Ruger Single Eight, I have successfully fired .25ACP loaded with 3.0 grains of BE-86 Propellant behind a 63 Grain Lead RFN bullet that was Tumble lubed with Lee Liquid Alox.
The overall length was .905" in G.F.L. Nickel plated Brass and CCI small primers.

As always Work up slowly on any new Hand Load.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I don't shoot, nor will I shoot, a .25 ACP. It is a very weak cartridge. I am sometimes concerned that my G17 is not enough, so no way will I carry a .25 ACP. Did John Browning invent this cartridge? If so, it was one of his few mistakes, along with the .32 ACP.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I don't shoot, nor will I shoot, a .25 ACP. It is a very weak cartridge.
You are Entitled to Your Opinion; However Others May differ in their Opinions also.

My Opinion is that the Commercial .25ACP/6,35 Browning loads are Woefully Deficient in Development due to hard Specifications being Frozen in LAW near its Inception by John Browning near The beginning of The 20th Century.

As originally Designed, the .25ACP was a 'better Functioning alternative' to .22 Rimfire Cartridges available at the time.
Over 100 years later and the continuing development of the .22 Rimfire Cartridge(s) have Greatly improved Its function; while the.25ACP has NOT received similar attention, and suffers now in comparison to the Current .22rimfire.

Look up Contemporary reports of comparative Performance in 200 yard off hand target shooting between Black Powder loaded .22 Long Rifle RF and .25 Stevens (Long) RF cartridges.
Both are Described as having 'arching trajectories' but the .25 Stevens was considered
the Better in accuracy at the 200 yard distance.

A Modern .50 Grain .25ACP fired through a Rifle Length Barrel will yield performance comparable to a later, down loaded, Smokeless powder .25 Stevens load, below that of a Black powder load.

Again Just my opinions, yours may vary.
Chev. William

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The .25 ACP is a pure waste of a small pistol primer.
Your Opinion Does Vary from Mine, and Many others posting to this thread.
Reloading the .25ACP is a Low cost answer for Those who have suitable Firearms.
Bulls eye Charges in the 1.3 grain range ( that is about 5300 Round per pound of Propellant) behind a Cast Lead 50 Grain 'Ranch Dog" TL-256 or TL255 Bullet (about 140 per Pound of Lead) is a Budget extending Pastime.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Today, October 1st, "Ammoguide Interactive" added cartridge number 1011 to their Cartridge Master Data Base.
it is a .960" case length "Mildcat" of .25ACP diameters named ".25 Automatic Long Rifle".

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The Mighty .25? This has to be a mistake.
No, it is NOT a Mistake!
It is Deliberate Prose.

Try a 25ACP charged with 3.0 grains of BE-86 Propellant behind a 63 grain Lead FP bullet primed with WSP at a Cartridge overall Length of .905".
In MY Ruger Single Eight .25ACP Revolver with a 10-5/8" barrel it DOES "speak with Authority" above its small size.

Another one to try is 1.89 grains of BULLSEYE behind the Same 63 grain Lead bullet, also to .905" cartridge length. that one only chronographed 1220fps about 5 yards from the Muzzle of my Ruger Single Eight..

Chuckling,
Chev. William

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
No, it is NOT a Mistake!
It is Deliberate Prose.

Try a 25ACP charged with 3.0 grains of BE-86 Propellant behind a 63 grain Lead FP bullet primed with WSP at a Cartridge overall Length of .905".
In MY Ruger Single Eight .25ACP Revolver with a 10-5/8" barrel it DOES "speak with Authority" above its small size.

Another one to try is 1.89 grains of BULLSEYE behind the Same 63 grain Lead bullet, also to .905" cartridge length. that one only chronographed 1220fps about 5 yards from the Muzzle of my Ruger Single Eight..

Chuckling,
Chev. William
1220 FPS? That is pretty good. What was the barrel length?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yes That is mostly correct, Almost Every Cartridge is slow out of a 2" barrel compared to what it is TESTED in at the Factory.

The Web site "http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/" has Records of Testing done on many Cartridges in Barrels from 2" to 18" by increments.
You should review thos posted results as you may fine them enlightining..
.22 Rf 2" fastest 974fps.
.22Mag 2" Fastest 1114fps.
.25ACP 2" fastest 816fps.
.327 Fed Mag 2" Fastest 1056fps.
.357 Mag 2" Fastest 1050fps.
.44 Mag 2" Fastest 952fps.
As a sample of their Published results of firing numerous COMMERCIAL Factory Cartridge Loads from Barrels in one inch increments of length.
And it seems many tested loads were SLOWER in each Caliber.

Added comment: My post of the 1220fps is from a REVOLVER which is by definition of SAAMI and CIP, a VENTED barrel test.
not a Sealed none vented Test Barrel. Both Organizations State there is a Known performance difference between the varieties of Test conditions.
I found that my Revolver yields MV reading s about 2.1 percent below that of Stated Factory Test performance for Commercial factory Loaded Cartridges, due to the 'vented nature of its cylinder to barrel forcing cone gap. That indicates to me that if fired from a 12" barrel without Venting, the Same load would be about 1.021 times the measured 1220fps, or about 1245fps.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Question

Yes That is mostly correct, Almost Every Cartridge is slow out of a 2" barrel compared to what it is TESTED in at the Factory.

The Web site "http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/" has Records of Testing done on many Cartridges in Barrels from 2" to 18" by increments.
As a sample of their Published results of firing numerous COMMERCIAL Factory Cartridge Loads from Barrels in one inch increments of length.

Added comment: My post of the 1220fps is from a REVOLVER which is by definition of SAAMI and CIP, a VENTED barrel test.
not a Sealed none vented Test Barrel. Both Organizations State there is a Known performance difference between the varieties of Test conditions.
I found that my Revolver yields MV reading s about 2.1 percent below that of Stated Factory Test performance for Commercial factory Loaded Cartridges, due to the 'vented nature of its cylinder to barrel forcing cone gap. That indicates to me that if fired from a 12" barrel without Venting, the Same load would be about 1.021 times the measured 1220fps, or about 1245fps.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
Does anyone make a 4" .25 ACP?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
With the frontal system and cooler temperatures that have passed through Texas, I run my raccoon traps on my corn and protein feeders. I ought to weigh some of them as I've been getting some big ones. My 25PLY ends it very quick. I had some loaded Gold Dots that I wanted to use up, and there is no doubt that the lead bullet does a better job than they do. The lead delivers an immediate dispatch.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
With the frontal system and cooler temperatures that have passed through Texas, I run my raccoon traps on my corn and protein feeders. I ought to weigh some of them as I've been getting some big ones. My 25PLY ends it very quick. I had some loaded Gold Dots that I wanted to use up, and there is no doubt that the lead bullet does a better job than they do. The lead delivers an immediate dispatch.
Ranch Dog,
Would you consider Designing an extended "TL255" type Bullet for about 63-67 grains?
Perhaps adding one Driving band and Lube groove to the original design would get it close to that?
I think it would make a Good replacement to use in my 'Mildcat' .25ALS; similar to the old .25 Stevens RF round's 67 grain bullet but updated.

Perhaps its heavier weight would give another Incentive To further develop the .25ACP as a "+P" cartridge or at least as a stronger striking force cartridge?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

Best Regards,
Chev. William
The revolvers mentioned here have an advantage. The two inches are measured from the forcing cones. The autoloading .25s have their barrels measured from the breech.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts