Shooters Forum banner

101 - 120 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Mine is a commercial mauser 98 (Husqvarna) .243 purchased in 1958. My dad used it in Shutzen events off and on for some years eventually replacing it with a Sako. When I got it I initially accepted its accuracy problems (thrown 6th round) as a limitation but about ten years ago I decided to work with it. It had an adjustable trigger and a terrible set of rings on it. I carefully cleaned and lapped the bore then cast it to take a look at the chamber throat. I knew that the rifle had always been cleaned from the breach so I was not worried about the crown. After determining that the chamber was not eroded I used a Sinclair OAL guage to find the absolute length of the chamber and noted it for load development. Using Sierra blitzkings the rifle almost immediately became a one hole shooter. The rifle likes Varget and Hornady ballistic tips most with one ragged hole in the eye of a CQB target at 100 yards. I am able to hit the UPC code on water filled plastic bottles at 300 yards all day long with this rifle. Now the rest of the story is that this rifle is a sporter weight barrel, the original. It outshoots my custom 22-250 with its bull barrel. My go to gun for coyotes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I see some fine firearms and some excellant marksman on this thread. I personally am a fan of the old Sako's. My most accurate firearm in my collection currently is a Sako TRG in 30-378 Weatherby topped off by a Leupold 3.5x10x50mm and Harris bipod. I have shot various load combinations through it and all have been impressive to say the least. I've shot 125 gr Ballistic tips at 4086 FPS/165 gr at well over 3700 FPS. I've tried 168/180/150/110 grain bullets and the worst group I've obtained was 1.25" at 200 yards. The best groups (target scope)were just one ragged hole of perhaps 0.35 outside to outside at 200 off the bench. This gun was designed to shoot long range but to be honest I've really never tried it on paper beyond 500. I will report that it is very impressive on whitetails. I like to get the same gun in 338 Lupua and run it through the motions. I'm also scheming on a EBCO 6.5x284 barrel for my TC Encore.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Remington 700 LTR .223 and .308

.25 at 100
.68 at 300
1.9 at 600

Using Hornady TAP 75 grain ammo....

300 yard group..

First and second day targets with Federal GM Match..

Handload with 165 Hornady SST

Friend made up an identical .308...

Federal GM Match at 800 yards....he held off a little too much for the wind...

For the price these rifles can't be beat...

Bob

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 700 classic in 350 RM I have shot [email protected] 200 and have shot three series of three @ 200 and had five in under1" at 200. The load I use is 225 TSX @ 2620fps Not bad for a hunting rifle

I had one of those and it would do the same thing... .75" from the bench or with a sling at 100 and 1.5-1.75 at 200...don't think I ever fired it at 300...

60 grains of 748 with a 225 Nosler Petition/2660 fps...

Great gun and a greater cartridge...!

Bob

·
Registered
620 Posts
There are some pretty unbelivable groups here. All of my rifles are full customs and shoot 1/2" or better 95% of the time, not just once or twice. Out of the 20 some factory rifles I have had, not too many of them shot in the .1's or .2's or .3's for that matter. Not saying it's not possible, just out of the ordinary. Don't want to starty anything so consider your group to be believed by me. I'm also talking 5 shot groups, not 3.

My current favorite most accurate rifle is a Pattern 14 in 7mm Mag. Shoots real well with 162 A-max's.

Guess I have a .308 Norma that shoots good too that I like.

Tiny group with 7mm, spread out group with .308 Norma. These are typical 5 shot groups out of my rifles.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most accurate rifle I have is a Panda Benchrest rifle in 6PPC or 30 BR but I believe you're talking about hunting rifles and like the guys above the 350 Remington Mag is by far the most accurate out of the box it's a model 7 w/ a 2x7 Leupold, pics can be seen here of targets at 100 yds. The target shot has two 200 Hornady sp and two 225 Sierra 225's shot into a group in the mid .3" 4 shot group from the bench and farther down is a .44" group holding the rifle and leaning my shoulder against a post.
No disrespect Spitfire but three shots checks the rifle, 5 shots test the shooter to shoot in the same condition. Now if we talk 5 shot groups they only count when shot in a registered match and w/ moving backers, which my best is .122" at 100 yds and .199" at 200yds and yes it's w/ a 6PPC. I'm far from the best of the pact in group or score but at times I can put the pressure on.
I failed to mention the my other semi customs but they're are supposed to be accurate 6.5/06 under .5" at 200 yds Sendaro style, 270 WSM under .5 at 100 yds, .358 Winchester .3 at 100 yds (target can also be seen at above link) 6mm/250 Rem varmint contour and my ground hog rifle a 22 PPC Remington that shoots in the low .2's at 100 yds.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,7180.75.html

·
Registered
620 Posts
No disrespect Spitfire but three shots checks the rifle, 5 shots test the shooter to shoot in the same condition. Now if we talk 5 shot groups they only count when shot in a registered match and w/ moving backers,
That's debateable, and has been up and down left and right. Three shots tells me nothing. everything else being equal. If I'm working up a load 5 shots better groups good. 3 shots are useful to zero in on a charge.

Even if it is a test of the shooter, I want to know that my gun and myself will do what I want it to time after time. You can get lucky with 3, 5 is quite a bit harder. IMO moving backers is a test of the shooter and not the rifle.

Here's a 10 shot group I shot a while back. This is telling me absolutely that the gun is doing what I want, or close to it. I would like to see some of those 3 shot groups with 7 more in the same group.

JMO and what works for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's a 600yd group with my factory savage 111 7mmRM and a 120gr SP load I just tossed together for plinking

Ohkay, maybe a bit above average for said load, but.... :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Savage Model 10FP in .308: Consistantly .75" groups for me @ 100yds. Also have my best group ever with this gun @ .468.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote from Spitfire
Even if it is a test of the shooter, I want to know that my gun and myself will do what I want it to time after time. You can get lucky with 3, 5 is quite a bit harder. IMO moving backers is a test of the shooter and not the rifle.

my answer
Then you should shoot group or score in a registered match so you can prove that all day long in any condition sunny, raining or blowing at 40 mph that you can shoot great groups to yourself and others. As far as showing a group not shot in a registered match that you can't count the bullet holes is worthless because it can't be verified. As a Benchrest competitor we never count groups not shot in a match, just because of this reason. My .122" group was shot a the Supershoot in Ohio and I won $400 with that group.
I run score matches at TC&SC in Thurmont MD and we have a lot of people showing up w/ their Savages claiming their rifles shoot 1/4" but when the match starts they soon come up w/ excuses why the rifle didn't shoot well. I was one of those guys but w/ a 260 VLS Remington. All day it beat the 22/250's right up until the 5th match when I crossfired on the guys target next to me. The only factory rifle to beat me until then was a Savage .223 and it was because he shot Benchrest before. Sure got me hooked and I had a PPC by that summer. Now I feel like I didn't know anything about shooting before shooting competition.
Again no disrepect to anyone who just shoots for fun as I do a lot but never do I shoot my hunting rifles 10 times in 1 group just to say or see how well they shoot when 3 shots tell the story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most accurate gun I own

As of now, it's my Remington 700 in .300 WBY MAG.. Gun is box stock and I'm sure that with a better scope we (the gun and I) could shoot better but so far it's putting 3 shot groups into a ragged hole at 100 yds. I'm currently looking for a longer range to practice but so far 100 yds is max. Got a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 that is a veeeery close 2nd:D

·
Registered
620 Posts
Browning A-bolt Medallion in .25-06 will shoot 115 gr Nosler BTs into .447 at 200 yards (3 shot) and if I'm feeling good I can keep 5 under an inch at 200. Things get a bit bigger at 300 but thats more me than the gun.

Now I just picked up a CZ 452 Varmint Thumbhole in 22LR and some early testing tells me it's going to be **** on wheels out to 100 yards.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Curt NCP,

The 10 shot group was a bet that I couldn't shoot 5 more in the group without going over 1/2". I've shot in all conditions, and there is usually others shooting with me, so the groups aren't just something I conjured up. If you look hard enough, you can see where just about every bullet went, except the 10 shot group.

I have not had time in the past to shoot competition, but am going to try and find time this summer to shoot F-class. I don't have a BR gun, but could build one if I wanted to get started in that too.

Also, I guess since most of the groups posted here were not shot during a match, I guess they don't count.

·
Registered
39 Posts
4 months ago it would have been my BSA Monarch in 30'06 that would group .75" all day long at 100yds. Then I replaced the Nikon Buckmaster (POS scopes and I'll never advocate or push any Nikon product after that junk) on my Sako 75 7mm-08 with a Ziess Conquest 3.5X10X44 and it shoots .50 at 100. Then a little over a month or two ago I aquired a Savage Model 10 PRedator Brush in .243 that is an absolute tack driver, literally. It wears a Bushnell 2.5X10X50mm with #4 post and will just about shoot the same hole.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
my most accurate rifle is a Ruger Laminated-Stainless in .22 Hornet...I floated the bbl, did the trigger, cleaned up the crown, and tailored a load to it. it will literally drive nails at 100 yds off a bench, if I'm on, and has done so repeatedly.....have had friends call the left or right eye on a digger squirrel at 100 yds and put it out. Leupold scope & rings....

101 - 120 of 172 Posts