Shooters Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 338WM by MGA and it is my most accurate.

But only a little more so than the 30-06 Rem 700 BDLs that were accurized by MGA.

T

·
Registered
692 Posts
It used to be my Savage BVSS in 22-250, but the barrel is getting a little wore out and will not shoot the groups my Bushmaster Varmiter Special SS will shoot. Here are some pictures of it and a group I shot with it yesterday.

Here is a 15 shot 100 yard group, shot using two sand bags off the hood of my jeep, not a bench and a vice, that can be covered with a dime.

Here is the same group covered with a dime.

I would have to say that this Bushmaster AR is the most accurate rifle I own, It will shoot groups like this all day long at 100 yards, it gets boring to shoot it, it shoots so well.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Just got it, but hands down my Savage 12 VLP in .204 Ruger. No pictures, but this rifle will honestly shoot under .3 MOA all day long with Hornady 32 gr V-Max pills. Awesome.

By the way, Fritz1, that is some good shooting.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My M700 BDL (sporter) in .300 Weatherby will put 5 shots into 3/8 of an inch at 100 yards all day long. My M700 MLR in .338 Lapua couldn't hit a rhino in the buttocks at 10 paces.
Older M700's are great.

Kudu40

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Wow. Those are remarkable groups. Nice to see.
Pete

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a little CZ that will hold her own, took a while to find a load she liked but it was worth the effort.

Remington cases weighted and separated to within 1 grain of each other, CCI small pistol primers, flash hole deburred, 13.5 lil-gun, Sierra 40 gr. bullet #1385.

·
Super Moderator
13,191 Posts
A Request

If you have the data, when anyone posts good groups, please see if your notes have the case and primer and COL to include. Those factors can all change how a load performs for anyone wanting to try to work up to them.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Thompson/Center Encore with 26" heavy barrel in .223Rem caliber. Shot a 3-shot, .076" group. Couple o' years ago. Mostly pure luck. Never did anything that good with that rifle since...

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
All I can say to all these posts, are that some folks out there have some mighty fine and extremely accurate rifles.:cool: My second accurate rifle was a Remington model 788 in the 22.250 caliber, back in the 60's. The first one was a Remington also in the .222 or Triple Deuce. It shot .350-MOA @ 100yds back in those days with my handloads.

Today we have a Savage in .204 Ruger that just amazes me everytime it goes to the rifle range. It is now shooting .275-MOA for 100yd groups. Not bad for a set of eyes as old as mine and a factory out of the box rifle. :eek::cool:

My big game long distance rifle is an EDGE in .338 Caliber and it has shot .430-MOA at 100 yds. It has shot under 1.25-MOA at 200 yds with someone younger doing the shooting. This rifle has also shot 6.5 inch groups at 700 yds. Rifle scope is a 6 X 24 Leupold. :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have two, a Browning A-Bolt in 243 WSSM and an X-Bolt in 7mm=08. Both shoot into one tiny hole with my handloads and Barnes TTSX bullets.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My most accurate rifle I own is a Remington 700 ADL in 7MM rem mag.

Hard to believe it started life like this

It will and always has shot 3 shot dime groups at 100.

I built this for a friend in Texas, Choate stock savage 110, 270 win, 27" Shillen bbl, 21 pounds, shot a 5 round group @100 after I did the barrel break in, .275 center to center.

And then there is this little number that I built for the same guy, Rugger 10/22, 1.125x24" green mountain barrel, modified Hogue rubber over-mold stock, bbl tight on the rubber of the stock, action free floated.

It is a serious tack driver, up in the mountains at his cabin near String town I was popping seed pods of a bush that measured no more than .5 in diameter, at well over 100 yards

Now about 3 shot versus 5 shot groups, the Remington will shoot 3 shot dime groups however the third shot is ALWAYS high right and not connected to the other two (touching) holes, this is because the very light barrel heats up and flexes differently for that third shot if i continue to fire the bullets drift a little farther in that direction, sure I could let it cool down between shots and shoot a nice tight 5 shot group but what exactly is the point? I know that it will put the first three shots exactly where i want them so far one is all I have needed ;)

Now that modified savage can shoot 5 shots as fast as you can get them back on target and still nearly put them in the same hole, but that is not becasue it is anymore accurate, it simply has the barrel mass to take the heat.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Today I traveled up North to see a friend of mine, who takes shooting .22's real serious like, not the centerfire mind you but the .22LR and I mean those boys in the back country have some serious squirrels guns you betcha.:)

I got to see some of Saturdays results in targets shot, these Gents are dymanic when it comes to shooting tiny groups with their custom .22LR's. I don't think I could even compete agains most of them at 50yds then it goes to 100 yds.

They have a 200 yd range and when the end gets near for the shooting season, they have a shoot off at 200 yds and I would not want to be a bull frog sitting on a lilly pad 200 yds away with some of these guys teeing off with their .22LR's.:eek:

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Blue gun...

I like that blue M700. Really attractive. I have an aftermarket 10/22 receiver (Tactical Customs, I think. Bonner's Ferry, ID) and a Clark barrel bolted into mine. It's a lefty stock by Revival Industries; no longer available. Why is all the good stuff for us southpaws always never to be had, anymore? Really honks me off...

·
Registered
326 Posts
7mm-08 with a Dougles barrel. This is number one followed by 22-250 Sako and 270 Mauser. All shoot dime sized groups at 100 yards. Really close. No REAL favorite here. All have shot one hole groups. Not very often due to rifle error. Hehe. Fun to see all the different calibers. Never seen a caliber I didn't like. (except 9mm)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Most accurate Rifle

Just bought a Savage111 6.5-284 Long Range Hunter,Loaded up a few129 grn HornadySST's,went to the range and shot a three shot group cloverleaf at 237 yds.:)
What a rifle!!!!

Randy

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I take it by your post you like those Savage Rifles a lot! Well, we are pretty found of our model 12 Savages too. I wish the weather would cooporate so we can get to the rifle range and shoot them more.:)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Like the big red dot on the Lucky Strike packages myself.

121 - 140 of 172 Posts