Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my Glock 19... it is simple, ultra-reliable, light... and it seems that everyone has one (ubiquity)... which is probably its least appreciated "feature".

I understand that the Glock 23 (40cal) can be easily converted to a 9mm or 357 with a simple drop in barrel!

If this conversion actually works well, why doesn't everyone jump on the glock 23 instead of the 19?

It seems like an affordable way to have a single gun that can eat the widest variety of rounds.

Thanks,
oB

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,098 Posts
I meant, in general, the .40's can be converted to .357 Sig. Not other .357 rounds nor other 9mm rounds (that I'm aware of).

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
Even if some think too much of the caliber, a 10 mm Glock is really versitile. Good for self-defense and good out in the field. Where the Glock crowd gets a little too excited is thinking it is akin to a .454 Casull. It is essentially .357 power level in a fairly neat package with a good amount of firepower and good resistance to the elements and dirt.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Glocks Hmmmmm ??

I own two different Glocks,a 19 and a 20. I did my research before buying the 19. I wanted a weapon that I could practice with and a weapon to carry during certain activities that had the "shoot-ability" of a 9mm. I never even anticipated changing the 19's chambering to anything else.

The 357Sig is great if you want more speed and want to (only) approach the ballistics of a 6" 357Mag. A 40 Short & Weak is great if you.....?.....well it's not really good for anything. So given that,I will accept that my 9mm is simply a 9mm and carry it and shoot it cheaply and reliably.

My 20(OD,like the 19) is a real rocket launcher. It has twice the energy transfer as a 454 Casull,will easily kill anything walking this planet(and probably some others),and is the most desired weapon at any hog fest or BBQ. Since owning it I have become a better lover,easily quit smoking,stayed out of IRS's radar,won the Florida Lottery,was the runner-up for the Nobel Peace Prize(the guy that got it really didn't deserve it),and can easily take anyone in the game of Chess.

Those of you that don't own a 20 are living your life without the feeling of superiority and probably do not have as much hair as I do. Love life is kinda Ho-humm too,right ?? Anyway,own a Glock 20(OD) and that will all change. Until then....go ahead and envy me,I've grown accustomed to it. ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I own two different Glocks,a 19 and a 20. I did my research before buying the 19. I wanted a weapon that I could practice with and a weapon to carry during certain activities that had the "shoot-ability" of a 9mm. I never even anticipated changing the 19's chambering to anything else.

The 357Sig is great if you want more speed and want to (only) approach the ballistics of a 6" 357Mag. 1-A 40 Short & Weak is great if you.....?.....well it's not really good for anything. So given that,I will accept that my 9mm is simply a 9mm and carry it and shoot it cheaply and reliably.

1-My 20(OD,like the 19) is a real rocket launcher. It has twice the energy transfer as a 454 Casull,will easily kill anything walking this planet(and probably some others),and is the most desired weapon at any hog fest or BBQ. Since owning it I have become a better lover,easily quit smoking,stayed out of IRS's radar,won the Florida Lottery,was the runner-up for the Nobel Peace Prize(the guy that got it really didn't deserve it),and can easily take anyone in the game of Chess.

Those of you that don't own a 20 are living your life without the feeling of superiority and probably do not have as much hair as I do. Love life is kinda Ho-humm too,right ?? Anyway,own a Glock 20(OD) and that will all change. Until then....go ahead and envy me,I've grown accustomed to it. ----pruhdlr

1-The 40 is not good for anything??? I would take a 40 over a 9 any day all weak long. The 0 is a step up from a 9mm. I thought every one realized this fact. Lager bullet diameter, heavier bullet for more momentum transfer.....

2- Tell us about this "Energy Transfer"... There are 2 types of collisions, "elastic" and "inelastic". A bullet strike is an "inelastic" collision and "energy" in an "inelastic" collison is mostly transformed into other forms of energy such as "thermal", sound, etc. The amount of energy transfer is very minimal and untrackable in an inelastic collison. Momentum is "transfered" in all collision

Energy is an extremely poor indicator of terminal performance

·
Registered
83 Posts

The 357Sig is great if you want more speed and want to (only) approach the ballistics of a 6" 357Mag. A 40 Short & Weak is great if you.....?.....well it's not really good for anything. So given that,I will accept that my 9mm is simply a 9mm and carry it and shoot it cheaply and reliably.

My 20(OD,like the 19) is a real rocket launcher. It has twice the energy transfer as a 454 Casull,will easily kill anything walking this planet(and probably some others),and is the most desired weapon at any hog fest or BBQ. Since owning it I have become a better lover,easily quit smoking,stayed out of IRS's radar,won the Florida Lottery,was the runner-up for the Nobel Peace Prize(the guy that got it really didn't deserve it),and can easily take anyone in the game of Chess.

How funny..... I hope you didn't bite your tongue too hard while you had it in your cheek ..... :p:D

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Caught Me

LFH, man oh man,coffee'ed up are you ?? Your ab-so-toot-lie right. I just wanted to get some blood flowing on this be-u-ti-ful Sunday AM. I knew that what would come would be something right outta a grad students science book. Am I the rightest person on the face of the earth or what.

For this "discussion",no one is/was wrong. Any caliber that is to your liking is great for you. I have my favorites and I feel that the 40 Short and Weak ranks right up there with the 45GAP.(Ho-Hum,Yawn !) What will this do that this will not do ????? Maybe peak your interest. People do not owe me an explanation for the FUBAR's they make. I happen to like the 9mm. It isn't as powerful(that is the only word that I know) as the 40S&W I'll admit. But,for me.....it'll do just fine. Especially for the, stay on target for fast follow up shots,thang. We should NEVER shoot one and look anyway.(Jeff Cooper taught me that)

But....If I could be serious for just a second. Everything that I stated about my Glock20 is the truth. Every true hand gunner should own a 10mm and outta it should only come Double Tap ammo. If you hand load for it,don't load down to the 40S&W pressures,load up(safely) to the 20mm(10mm + 10mm =20mm)pressures. You'll soon be looking for a game animal standing directly behind a majestic oak,just for fun.

Above are the opinions of a "perpetually right" person. At least that is what my wife sez. ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
4,919 Posts

:eek:! When I started reading this I had a fresh pot of hot coffee, By the time I finished laughing, I had a pot of iced coffee, and had to make another fresh pot of hot coffee. :D:D:D:D

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,947 Posts
Well without stepping into the pile of what is steaming...
I vote 10mm as well. While I personally haven't had Glock's 10mm, The one I did have, you could really launch things. Or If you aren't the reloading type, you can use DoubleTap's offerings for various needs. Or buy cheap Federal/remmy/etc. stuff and have less recoil. More like the 40S&W.

I have a personal soft spot in my heart for the 135gr HP's Nosler makes, sitting infront of some 800X. Can make pigeons absolutly invisible(slight red staining may occur on background)

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
The G20 is too big to conceal and too heavy to want to carry, the G29 is way too little to take advantage of the 10mm.

The G23 is the most flexible, you can get LW barrels for 9mm or .357 Sig and lots of guys compete with them in USPSA Production, Limited and Open divisions. The 19 is a great gun and fully customizable too, but caliber options are more limited. G23 trade ins are under $400 from several sources.

10mm is very expensive to shoot too, its a great round, but if you can't afford to shoot or practice, what is the point?

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
Before this thread gets into a a 'steaming' argument, which some of you have already got on point for.....

Keep it civil, or it will be shut down. Period.

The G23 can indeed have 2 different barrels added to it....
Lone Wolf barrels make a 9mm conversion .
Some folks over at Glock Talk speak that a factory .357sig can be used.....I am not aware of that.

Here's the site for lone wolf distributors

I have the LW 9mm for my G23, essentially turning it into a G19....I had some feed issues for the first 200 or so rounds, but now it's slik as snot.

·
Banned
166 Posts
The glock 19 and 23 are built using the same frame and slide. The only difference is the hole in the slide is drilled out more. All you need to change to .40 is a slide, barrel and, not sure, a magazine change.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,098 Posts
That was my question, to convert from .40 to 9mm, do you need a mag change along with the barrel? Just doesn't seem right that the 9mm would feed from the .40 mag but hey.... who knows.....

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
2000fps Outta a G20

Hows this for flexable. You can buy an aftermarket 6" 9X25 Dillon(yeah,that Dillon) bbl for your Glock 20 or 29. This loading is simply the big bro to the 357Sig. it is a 10mm necked down to .355". These are some of the figures from the Double Tap website.

95gr @ 2000fps with 881fpe
125gr @ 1700fps with 802fpe
147gr @ 1500fps with 733fpe

With My 6" Glock OEM bbl I can shoot a 10mm,135gr @ 1600fps and 767fpe. Or a 200gr WFNGC(hard cast) @ 1300 with 750fpe.

You can install a drop in 45ACP bbl and shoot the cheaper ammo also. -----pruhdlr

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
The small and fast crowd will never get it - big and slower is better - 10mm WFN Hard Cast Gas Checked 1300 FPS and
750 ft lbs. For small game the .357 is nice and for self-defense against two legged bag guys it would work real good but for large/dangerous game won't work - therefore, there is no debate as to "most flexible" as the 10 mm can do everything the minor/small caliber .357 can do but is way more gun when it comes to hunting large and dangerous game. You would be lucky to get even 24" of penetration with the minor caliber while the 10mm will shoot through most game on a broadside. Sorry.
P.S. I can't believe I'm defending the 10mm but it is closer to the most perfect caliber .45 Colt.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
The only way to shoot 9x25 Dillon is to have a big comp on the gun. It was designed for USPSA Open division, and nobody uses it because it's too powerful and bullets can't handle it. With the right comp and tuning, there is absolutely no muzzle rise with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.