Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone handled or better yet shot the new tang safety-equipped Winchester 94? I'd really like to get a carbine with the pistol grip stock and would like some firsthand input if available. All the dealers in my area still have those ugly push button safety models and aren't in any rush to get new ones until the existing stock is sold.

·
Banned
738 Posts
I second Bill Lester's question. And add one more request of anyone who has a new 94.
Could you take the stock off, and photograph the safty from the inside of the tangs?
I am curious about how it works.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm waiting for the ones with the ugly push button safeties that nobody wants. If the new ones take off and nobody wants the ugly ones then they should be marked down in price. The ugly push button safeties do not bother me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The ugly safety does not bother me, however, being "LeverMan" I had to get one. It is the Mod 94 Legacy type with the pistol grip in 45 LC. Out of the box it was flawless. I was able to get good groups at 50 yards with lead factory "cowboy loads". I will load some good stuf myself and measure the groups at 100 yards in the next couple of weeks. Even the trigger lacked the "creep" I have had in other 94's. If one likes the old safety there seem to be some good buys out there. One local gun dealer had a few left last week and was letting them go for $249. I paid $409 for mine.

My wife has a .357 version on order in the traditional type stock. It should be a good shooter as well. I'll let you know when it arrives and I put some hand loaded rounds through them. We'll see how it does against my Marlins.:confused:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lindsey,

I was a bit confused by your response. Is the Legacy you refer to a tang safety model? I hope so from your description.
How is the fit & finish?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The "legacy" is a version with a pistol grip on the stock, while the "traditional" has a straight stock.

Yes, this is the new editionwith the tang mounted safety. The stock is nicely checkered and finished in a satin finish. It seems to be of a higher quality than my last Win 94 in 30-30 purchased a year ago. The stock was well fited and I have no complaints at all with the appearance.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yes, I knew the Legacy was the deluxe version. I just wasn't certain if you referred to the older, "push button" or the new, tang safety-equipped Legacy.

Now by telling me all this, you know you'll become an enemy of my wife!

;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
If any of you guys are looking to upgrade, I am looking for a Winchester Mod. 94 in 44 mag for a conversion to 445 Supermag. Let me know if you have one you want to sell.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just so I don't get in too much trouble with your wife, you better get her one. I ordered a .357 version for mine and she is happy!

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are looking to make a 445 SuperMag how about finding a Marlin model 336. In my humble opinion that would be a better choice as the action should be stronger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts