Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is "old" news, but what are your attitudes toward S&W? The company is now under US ownership, which cannot be said of it primary competition which produces high quality innovative firearms at a level never before seen in the production of revolvers, for a very reasonable price. What do you think? Will you start buying them again? I've not bought a new one since all the hub-bub ensued. I sure miss a good trigger right out of the box. I also find the "weakness" issue a thing of the past, since my 15 year old M29 Classic Huner, one of the first to receive the strengthened frame, has digested over 5000 "warm" reloads in the quest for silhouette match wins. Not to mention 6-7K reduced "pin loads" used for bowling pin competition. The cylinder has never come open and only once counter-rotated. I will admit it's at S&W for a fully-warranted replacement of the firing pin bushing. Bottom line:are the handhgun ethusiasts of America going to buy them again? Are we going to see S&W go the way of Colt? I say lets keep the marque alive if they produce products of great quality at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Peronaly I like Smith & Wesson revolvers. I hope the situation with S&W signing up for gun control is over, but I am not certain of it. My last new Smith was an Airlite Kit Gun that I really enjoy, the blue plastic box weighs more than the gun.

I have a two problems with the new Smiths. I do not like the built in trigger lock, and I do not like the frame mounted firing pin that came with it. The new firing pin has changed the feel of both single and double action shooting for me.

I do not like stainless firearms under any circumstances, I own several but do not like them as well as blued steel. This greatly reduces the number of new guns that I am interested in, which may be a god thing! This alone almost eliminates S&W from my want lists.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I always love there triggers but there frames where weak structural, and locking the cylinder just at the rear causes problems in head spacing over time. I had a few models that went out of timing as well, but I can't say anything bad about there triggers, I miss a good stock trigger also. Rugers triggers are like a brick, but there frames are built like a brick sh*t house, I have them all worked on. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I had personal experience with the weak Smiths of old, if they have improved this that is a step in the right direction and I did like their triggers.

I could never understand the point of buying a gun chambered for .357 or .44 magnum, that was really only suited for .38 and .44 special - if I wanted to shoot .44 specials all day I would buy a .44 special.

However, the few Smiths I had got traded in when they made their pact with the antis a few years back - and just because they changed owners does not mean the deals the previous owners made are void. :mad:

With all that, I will stick with my rugers. They are all but indestructable and even though the triggers aren't great out of the box they can be improved.

The price of a Ruger + little trigger work is still usually cheaper than a comparable S&W.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I unerstand the weakness charges of the original 29's. I saw a lot of them when I used to shoot IHMSA. I saw alot of them get destroyed more or less. I only own three S&W's. The aforementioned M29, a 657, and recently a 617. The M29 I got new when I was 16, the other two where picked up second hand. These are some of my favorite revolvers. I've got lots of Rugers anda couple Dan Wessons. I like them all, but the trigger on a Smith is something to behold.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Hi Kich,

You've been given many good comments regarding the S&W, and only does my age and experience with S&W revolvers and autos makes me throw in my two cents worth.

My first S&W was a Model 19 in .357 Mag. in 1954. S&W was very "police oriented" and gave all policemen a discount and we could order one from any local dealer. It was understood by anyone who carried a colt all day long and a S&W all day long knew that the S&W was lighter and didn't pull your Sam Brown down to your ankles <grin>. I believe we all understood that lighter weight meant thinner steels and corresponding strength reduction. At least that was the common belief. Thus was born the belief S&W was somehow "weaker". Bill Jordan and other lawmen have praised the various S&W models in their books. I have had many of them and admire their factory triggers. I could care less about who owned what and when. I like what I like. QA gun dealer in Albany , N.Y., had a couple of Smiths that were blown up due to overloads. I later blew up a 629 Classic due to my own fault in 1990 or 1991. The then-president told me that in his 27 years with Smith, and having seen and heard of many guns having blown up, that I was the only one who admitted fault, the only one who didn't threaten to sue and the only one who demanded a new replacement revolver.

I still have some Smiths and a few Rugers. There is no doubt that the Ruger is absolutely the strongest of those two brands. I have abused the Rugers almost beyond belief. I absolutely hate ALL Ruger triggers no matter WHAT gun they are on and just figure a good trigger job as part of my end-cost which is still lower than Smiths prices. Both brands can be made to be very accurate shooters and I've seen no difference here. All my pistols have scopes mounted and shoot good groups at 100 yards---even the .22 LR models if no wind is blowing.

Welcome to this Forum, and best regards.

chuck
:)

·
Banned
738 Posts
Well, here is my 2 bits worth. I don't think $&W has completely gotton rid of the agreement. I think it was swept under the rug, and will be drug out to bite them when the next anti-gun democrat gets elected.

As for my buying a new $&W, it's doubtfull. I like blued steel N frame big bores. Without full length lugged barrels. Without key safetys, and with the original action.
So since they arn't making anything I want, I'll keep my eyes open for used.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
Smith And Wesson....

Here's my opinion and pick on Smiths...

Strickly based on quality,not on politics

I have owned and lately become addicted to Smith revolvers...I currently own 25+ Smiths of various calibers and frame sizes... Not a rotten apple in the bunch...
They do not have the brute strength that a Ruger has, but the trigger pull blows a stock factory Ruger away.

Currently I own 4 "NEWER" Smiths, but none with the "dastardly lock". They have frame mounted firing pins, VS. the hammer mounted pins. The trigger pull is not that of an older Smith, but the quality is still there. There is a noticeable difference in the bluing of the older guns Vs. the newer "80's guns:( the older guns have a much deeper bluing....

Purchase the firearm that suits your needs, don't let policy deceide what you buy...

Try this sight.... www.smith-wessonforum.com

.02$

Chris~

·
Banned
65 Posts
I really love S&Ws, at least most of the older ones. By older, I mean those manufactured prior to those with the "Lawyer Safetys". I've owned Smiths that ranged from the earliest Hand Ejectors to the 610, and for the most part, they were the finest available. Unfortunately, Smith not only sold out to the "Limeys", but they sold out the American shooters as well. Even after they became American owned again, they continued to make decisions that only reflected their concerns about appeasing the anti-gunners and the government. They chose current political correctness and cost-cutting over quality and tradition. That is why I will never purchase another new S&W.

A couple of years ago I purchased a 696 and noticed that the firing pin was missing from the hammer. I called S&W and was told, rather candidly by the young lady I spoke with, that the reason for the change was nothing more than cost shaving. I appreciated her honesty. The gun shot well and other than not looking like a Smith (they are supposed to have a firing pin on the hammer when you cock them), the quality was still there. After that, I purchased a 610, which I enjoy and then a 629 Mountain Gun which I carry, a lot.

Then they added the Lawyer Safety and broke the camel's back. I was not happy that they dropped blue guns. I was not happy that you could only get round butt "N" frames, I was not happy that the firing pin was moved. I accepted the changes and got used to the stainless, the lack of a firing pin on the hammer and bought after-market grips to make up for the hidious feel of the round butt "N" frame, but the lock was too much. Adios Smith & Wesson.

I will miss the triggers, but chances are those too will change soon as they are probably too costly and/or Diane Finestein and Sara Brady probably would be more accepting of heavy triggers as it is harder for a child to operate one. Smith & Wesson are not what they once were, and Horrace and Dan are probably spinning in their graves. :(

·
Banned
355 Posts
THE "NEW" S&W

HI J.P.,

THANK GOD THAT THERE ARE MANY, MANY USED SMITHS IN THE MARKETPLACE. IF YOU WANT ONE THAT HAS RARELY BEEM SHOT, FIND ONE OWNED BY AN EX-COP, MOST WHO USE IT TO QUALIFY EACH YEAR. THAT IS IF THEY BELONG TO SUCH A BACKWARD DEPARTMENT STILL USING THE LOW-CAPACITY AND LOW-POWER-CALIBER REVOLVERS.

FOLKS, YOU MAY AS WELL GET USED TO ALL MANNER OF SAFETIES ON REVOLVERS AND SEMIS, AS THEY ARE HERE TO STAY. THE LEGAL-EAGLES HAVE SEEN TO THAT----FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE.

I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH A BEAUTIFUL SELECTION OF SMITH REVOLVERS. I LOVE STAINLESS STEEL AND OWN MANY SMITHS AND RUGERS. WE ALL SHOULD BE THANKFUL THAT TODAY THERE ARE MORE GUNS, OF ALL TYPES, FROM MORE COUNTRIES, MORE CALIBERS AND , YES, MORE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE THEM, THAN BEFORE BRADY GOT SHOT. THINK ABOUT IT !

CHUCK

:)

·
Banned
738 Posts
:mad:
FOLKS, YOU MAY AS WELL GET USED TO ALL MANNER OF SAFETIES ON REVOLVERS AND SEMIS, AS THEY ARE HERE TO STAY. THE LEGAL-EAGLES HAVE SEEN TO THAT----FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE.
NO! I refuse to "GET USED TO" the safteys put on these guns.
I will not become complacent and accept this crap. I haven't bought a NM Ruger Blackhawk even though the Blackhawk is my favorite SA revolver. I removed the stupid rebounding hammer action from my early Win 94 AE, and replaced it with an old style action. I refused to buy one with the hidious crossbolt safty, and probably will never buy one with the tang safty. I won't buy a new S&W, Taurus, Remington, Rossi, or any other gun with a key lock in it.
The only new guns I will buy are the ones that don't come with these idiotic gadgets, or ones they can be removed from.
If this limits me to buying used guns, then its the gun makers loss. Not mine. There are plenty of used guns arround, and I have no problem with shooting a so called collectable just because it is older or discontinued or has three screws.
These saftys are bullsXXt! They are a solution to a non existant problem.
To "get used to" these things would mean that I would have to accept them. I REFUSE!

Oh, I do not consider a revolver to be "LOW CAPACITY or LOW POWER". This is just propaganda put out by people who subscribe to the spray and pray syndrome.

As for the selection of guns available now to be greater and more varied, that may be so. If you are into junk, mil surp, and foreign made copies of American guns. Yes some are good, but many are made in Communist countries and when we buy these we are supporting governments that hate us.
I look at foreign guns this way. Who makes them, friend or foe? Then, is it a good quality gun?

Someone earlier in this thread said that he looked at quality and not politics. I cannot do that. A companys politics is as much a part of the gun I buy as it's employees labors.
To purchase a gun from a company who doesn't actively support the 2nd amendment, or to buy a gun from a communist country, is fundamentally wrong.

I don't care to start a flame here, I apologize for my rant, but the above post just set me off.

I'm finished now. :(

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
Trouble is, the oldies but goodies aren't getting cheaper. I see everyone is hollering for $400 for S&W Highway Patrolmans over on GunsAmerica.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
355 Posts
THE NEW S&W

HI J. MILLER,

I'M GLAD THAT I GAVE YOU A CHANCE TO RANT. I ACCEPT IT. I ACCEPT YOUR RIGHT TO BUY ANY GUN, FROM ANY MANUFACTURER AND FROM ANY DEALER THAT TURNS YOU ON.

WE ARE ABOUT THE ONLY COUNTRY LEFT THAT STILL ALLOWS US SUCH A WONDERFUL SELECTION. I CORRESPOND ON THE E-MAIL WITH SHOOTERS IN AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, AND NORWAY TO NAME BUT A FEW. I'VE LIVED AND WORKED IN WESTERN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES AND SAUDI ARABIA ALONSIDE OTHER ENGINEERS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. AS BAD AS THINGS MAY SEEM TO BE, IT SURE BEATS THE HECK OUT OF WHAT IS IN SECOND PLACE.

WHEN YOU GET ANGRY IN A STORE LIKE SEARS OR WALMART, I DO HOPE YOU DON'T RANT TO THE CLERK ABOUT A STORE POLICY. RATHER, I WOULD HOPE THAT YOU LAY ( NOT THROW) THE MERCHANDISE DOWN, WALK OUT OF THE STORE AND TELL YOURSELF THAT IT MAY BE A LONG TIME BEFORE YOU GO BACK THERE.

I DO KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE $%^&* SAFETIES, AND AGREE WITH YOU WHOLEHEARTEDLY, BUT THE WORLD AND THE COUNTRY STANDS STILL FOR NO MAN. PROGRESS TO SOME IS JUST PURE **** TO OTHERS ( LIKE ME AND YOU), MR. MILLER. I JUST GOT THROUGH LOADING 250 @ .44 MAGS AND 50 @ 44 SPECIALS AND AM IN A GREAT MOOD. TO BE ALONE AND QUIETLY CONCENTRATING ON WHAT I'M DOING AND MAKING PROGRESS TOWARDS THE NEXT RANGE SESSION, DOES WONDERS FOR MY EMOTIONAL STABILITY. RANTING SOMETIMES HELPS, TOO, BUT MOSTLY IT HURTS ME ,AND THOSE WHO DO SO ALSO.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU, MR. MILLER.

CHUCK:) :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
J,
rant on, it's good for you and it makes me look more "normal".

CS,
I appreciate the fact the US is the place to be, but I really hate it when people compare our country to some third world cesspool and point out how much better it is and say that it could be worse. The reason I don't like that is because it's always used as a comparison to cover up the fact that things are going in an innapropriate direction for the greatest country on Earth. I'd rather say we're getting closer and closer to a third world cesspool, it tends to make the point more clear as to what is really happening. I'm done with my lower-case, mini-rant. No offense intended, just my $.02

·
Banned
355 Posts
THE NEW S&W

HI KCIH,

GOLLY, I DIDN'T THINK I DID THAT. I'M SORRY IF I GAVE YOU THAT IMPRESSION. <GRIN>

IF YOU'D HAVE READ SOME OF MY OWN RANTS IN THE FORM OF E-MAILS SENT TO EVERY %$^& POLITICIAN AT STATE AND FEDERAL LEVEL AND TO PRESIDENT BUSH HIMSELF, YOU'D SEE THAT WHILE I LOVE MY COUNTRY I QUITE LITERALLY DETEST THE SAME THINGS YOU POINTED OUT. I'M PROOF THAT ADVICE IS EASY TO GIVE, BUT HARD AS HECK TO FOLLOW.

A PRAYER, I HAVE TO BE REMINDED OF MYSELF SOMETIMES:
GOD GRANT ME THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN.
GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THOSE THINGS I CAN'T.
GRANT ME THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

GO LOAD SOME SHELLS AND YOU'LL FEEL BETTER. NOW THAT IS ADVICE I CAN FOLLOW, KCIH.

CHUCK
:D :D

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I to am one who will not be jumping on the S&W band wagon!!!:mad: I wouldn't care if they came out with the best line of guns in the world!! :rolleyes: If the Anti's have anything to say this New 50 cal pistol will never be made or sold-good luck S&W!!:) They are to expensive for one thing-perfect example of a company sitting on there reputation to long!! And beside that until they come out with a full -paged add in every major news rag and get on all the liberal news casts and proclaim that they are now longer in bed with the Liberal Anti firearm folks and fully support the 2nd Admendment and will not put any safeties /locks and such on any firearm they make then and only then would I even consider owning a S&W!!:D So show me waitng patiently for HeXX to freeze over!!!:cool:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chuck,
I wasn't meaning to pick on you, just offering a different point of view. Not that my point of view is any different than yours, it just sounded that way to me. You need to get rid of that upper-case rant though, it gives me a headache. You only need to use the upper-case at the peak of your rant in order to get the point across.

Back to the topic at hand. I see that there are a number of people here who don't appreciate S&W running their business like they're running for office. I wholeheartedly agree. I truly wish they would get shut of the agreement, because I disaprove of it at a very base level. I bashed them when they did it. I feel it was deserved then and I still do. I didn't purchase any new, or any other, of their weapons until I recently purchased a used one. I let everyone I know who was going to buy a handgun know what they did and that they should be left to wither on the vine, much the same way they thumbed thier nose at the American public. It's more than them leaving the gun buying public hanging, it was also a knife in the back of all Americans as they where undermining our constitutional rights on a number of different levels. I don't know what law enforcement money they get to keep with this agreement. I don't know ANYONE who carries a S&W auto for self defense and I have yet to shoot a S&W auto pistol , with the exception of a 41 or 52, that I had any desire to shoot again. I also think that Taurus took the ball and ran with it. Innovation and competition like we have never seen before in the hangun market in our lifetimes. I'm pretty young, but I don't believe we've seen the likes of this in a long time. If what those of you that have experience with the "new" guns are saying is accurate, and I have no reason or grounds to doubt it, I think they will fail in the civilian fireams market. But hey, they're making a 1911, so who knows, I may have to change my mind about their autos.:)

The next factory produced handgun I purchase will have a Wesson in the name, but it will be preceded by Dan. They have a 10mm 1911 available again, not a crap Colt that needs $1000 worth of work to be a decent shooter, but a modern 1911 that we have come to expect these days. I'm not looking to argue with Colt fans here, this is just my opinion of their products. I have a couple Dan Wesson revolvers, a 357 and a 32-20, and they are extrememly accurate and very strong. I like their large frame handguns also, but they are LARGE. This is a company that produces revolvers, while not cheap, that are true marvels of accuracy and strength. I sincerely hope they can continue in business for the rest of my lifetime.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
kciH
Yep I had a "Dan Wesson" 357 the one with all three barrels 3". 4" 6" wonderful gun and that was before I was 18 and way before the BS laws came to be that I couldn't own one at that age!! But I was young a stupid and sold it for half of what it worth now -had to becuase I'd just join the service and Kalifornia wouldn't allow a 18 year old own a pistol even if I had owned it since is was 13!:rolleyes: Still wish I could get another but then again I'm into bigbores now and shooting a 357 just doesn't thrill me anymore and I don't miss it enough to spend that kind of cash to get one again. :D

·
Banned
355 Posts
THE N EW S&W

HI KCIH,

I'M GOING BLIND WITH GLAUCOMA, AND CAN HARDLY READ THE LOWER CASE PRINT IN THIS REPLY SECTION.

I AM GOING TO DO YOU AND I AND ALL THE OTHER GUYS, WHO ARE OF THE OPINION THAT ANYONE WHOSE IDEAS DO NOT EXACTLY COINSIDE WITH YOURS IS EITHER STUPID OR CRAZY OR BOTH, A FAVOR. I'M DROPPING OUT OF THIS FORUM AS I DON'T CONSIDER YOU INTELLIGENT ENOUGH OR MATURE ENOUGH TO BE WORTHY OF MY FRIENDSHIP.

I FEEL YOU ARE WELCOME TO BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU WANT, BUY WHATEVER YOU WANT, VOTE FOR WHOMEVER YOU WANT AND I CAN RESPECT YOUR DIFFERING VIEWS. I DID SO IN HOPES YOU WOULD HAVE GRANTED ME THE SAME RIGHTS AS YOU GUYS. BUT IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU NICE PEOPLE JUST LOOK FOR SOME REASON TO FIND FAULT WITH ANYONE AND EVERYTHING JUST SO THAT YOU CAN FEED YOUR EGOS BY SUBMITTING TO THE FORUM A LOT OF DEROGATORY REMARKS.

GOOD BYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE.

CHUCK

:(

1 - 20 of 65 Posts