Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
126 Posts
If all you want to do is shoot targets, you may consider a .36 caliber. I love that caliber because I can shoot 000 buck-shot which can be purchased in 5lb bags and is very economical. It also uses very little powder, and they are tack drivers.

To simplify loading, you may go to the NMLRA.org site and you will find teflon pillow ticking patches which work great! You may want to buy a few pre-cut patches to determine the correct size and cut your teflon patches into squares based on the size of the pre-cut patch. If you want to be more traditional, mink oil or Wonderlube works great!

Do not follow suggestions of using petrolium based oils in the barrel. Water based cleaners are much better.

Traditions aren't too bad and fairly priced. CVA, maybe, I've never shot one, but some people like them. Otherwise, if you are adept at building your own, you can find reasonably priced kits.

Check Track of the Wolf, Bass Pro, October Country, or google somw other sites.

·
Banned
126 Posts
I forgot to mention Blue Ridge. For the price, it's an OK rifle. I still like the .36 because of being able to use 000 buck-shot. Besides, the .36 is a tack driver, I use one for squirrel and rabbit.

I have shot flinters for over twenty years now, but since I build my own and love a good quality rifle, mine would cost more. Track of the Wolf has some excellent kits with the highest quality parts one can get. Like accuracy and ease of cleaning? Go for the Colerain barrel with round bottom grooves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.