Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an TC Encore with a 23" MGM heavy barrel in 444 marlin. i have killed deer with it and with many different boolits. the last was a 300gr SAECO fn gc with 2400/tuft of dacron going 1624fps. i know this is a "weak" load, but i'll be durned, it kills deer dead:ROFLMAO:. i have shot 250gr penta hp, 255gr "Keith" type, 275gr ranch dog, 280gr lfn gc and some others that i can't think about. i have 265gr Hornady fn and rel 7 loaded up and a few boxes of bullets.

this year, I'll take out a 280gr wfn gc with reloader 7 that goes 1937fps. i know, i know, it's still a "weak" load, but i don't care.

i took the wfn to the shop which has 125 yards range. at 125 yards, 3 shots will go into cloverleaf. 5 shots are under 1". i did the second group and it was still the same. i did the third group as fast as i could (under 2 minutes, one armed guy, i tell ya:ROFLMAO:) and the first 3 was a cloverleaf, until the 4th and 5th shots were vertically strung and it goes 1 3/4" group. so the lesson learned today is not to shoot fast😝 if you are concerned about the group.

its time to take the 444 out because i ain't been good to her for a couple of years.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I doubt anyone would consider a carbine in .44mag inadequate at 125yds with proper loads. And that's exactly what those bullets and velocities look like to me. I've killed several big bucks with the 3 different .444s I've owned, but I sat several days last season in the same stands holding my 77/44. Hey, if it works, it works 👍

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I really liking reading about the experiences folks have with large caliber, heavy lead boolits at modest velocities. In particular when they're accurate. I've always thought, that 'showing off' was when you put meat on the table. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can't hunt for trophies anymore (i had a bad stroke), so i take them as long as it is average or bigger body size. i really hate to shoot a yearling deer, so i let them go. you are lucky to get 15 - 20 lbs of meat off a yearling. the only thing good about a yearling is the drag or put it on shoulder method.

there is a doe that goes well over 250lbs in the area i hunt. i've seen it but never out hunting. i guess its been 7 or 8 years of hunting the big doe but its all for naught. for 4 months a year, she goes MIA. the other 8 months, i'm tripping over her. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
696 Posts
She didn’t get big by being dumb……… We had an old doe like that a number of years ago. She would stand up in the pines and stare at our ladder stands. You could not see her until she’s blew and went snorting down through the woods. She finally slipped up to my buddy that sat on the ground behind the stand.

Darin

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
years before, i had a big doe that was just like this one now. i had her come into my stand during archery season. she stood broadside to me at 30 yards...........or so i thought. i drew my compound bow, set my sight pin to 30 yards and........the arrow went over her. she ran, i stood there, open mouthed and wondering why i missed? she was big sized deer, ever bigger than most, if not all, bucks that i seen. she stood at 20 yards, not 30. she was so big that i messed up the range of the doe.

she never saw me again till muzzleloader season ended. then she came into my yard one afternoon, ate some clover, smiled at me and said "see ya next year......sucker!!!". she never saw me again in hunting season. but the day after it ended, she was in my yard. 3 or 4 years went past and suddenly she was gone. i found her about 100 yards away from my stand. she went peacefully , curled up like my dog. i darned near cried, but i smiled at her and said "wonderful game, ya beat me."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts