Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Cheezy; If your firing pin protrudes about .045 to .050, and your mainspring is good...you can file about .010 to .020 off the face of the top step of the hammer. If you need to email me feel free to do so, and I will try to help you out: [email protected] I have repaired a number of Redhawks with the same problem, and there are other fixes that can help as well.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Cheezywan; I am new to the Redhawk, but, now that I have worked with a few of them, I find that it is a different beast for sure. The "light strike" issue is a common one, and it normally leads to firing pin lenght, spring tension, etc. One thing you also need to check is where the mainspring spring strut goes through the mainspring lever. Make sure the strut is smooth and the end that goes through the lever is rounded...I make this modification and then polish the strut. The hole in the mainspring lever should be chamfered and polished as well, and the ends of the spring should be deburred. I was having some light hits and after reworking the normal things, I found that the mainspring strut was hanging up and draging in the hole on the lever...it was all burred up, and evidently was hanging just enough to cause a momentary glitch when the hammer fell...causing light strikes. Anyway, after I caught that and fixed it, I havent had a light strike/misfire since. Just something else to look for.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Cheezy; 25 to 30 years...heck, thats the problem....its not even broken in yet!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.