Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Inactive account
1,131 Posts
Is purdy minimal lumberjak. I'm not sure I could fit one of those in there without binding things up?

A little more information for you folks.

I've had this one for 25-30 years (wife or future wife "gifted" it to me. I can't recall if we had married yet or not?) .
Trouble like this right out of the box. Went back to Sturm Ruger muey pronto. It came back with their "blessing".
The same trouble persisted, so I got mad at it myself. Examined,measured, and spoke to folks at Brownells and even Ron Powers on the landline (all of this before Al Gore invented the internet).

Fine stones, emery paper, springs , elbow grease , and alot of trigger time cured it years ago. Right up until I started this thread!

Is NOT PRISTINE CLEAN! I shoot it and use it real regular. Is not ignored either. No belly button lint in this one.

Thinking some on taking a little off of the hammer and giving it a real "detail clean" at this time. Not in a hurry to do so though.

Spring has arrived here in Iowa:). I'd prefer to do some other stuff about now.

Cheezywan
An end shake bushing would be a wildcard. Doubt end shake alone would cause the problem but only be additive as it might act to deaden the primer strike if excessive. I rooted around the net but only found the usual, short firing pins, take a little off the hammer nose and the ever popular warning about Redhawks and lighter springs. I have confidence in your Iowan ingenuity. Drink a beer, give the gun a beer and let us know what you figure out.

·
Inactive account
1,131 Posts
Don't ever listen to that lumberjac guy:D
I'd be wonderin if you washed some crud out of the firing pin hole? Maybe a crud ring under the ejector star? A burr on the hammer comes to mind... or the mainspring not sliding smoothly on the strut. Is it a stainless Redhawk, because if it is, that might eliminate the burr idea? Ruger's stainless is tougher than chinese arithmatic. Dirty lockup could be looked at, letting the cylinder shift just a little bit. Hmmm...ok, I give up. I'll be in suspense till you post. Hope you gotter fixed.
(could have been the beer mebbe)

·
Inactive account
1,131 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Did you see it...or feel it. I find that my fingers see better than my eyeballs do and that's not just old age, been mechanicin all my life...feelin for rough spots comes natural.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.