Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put alot of thought into purchasing my first PCLA [pistol cartridge lever action] rifle. And chose the big bored 45 colt puma rifle 92 clone.

I had thought long and hard on what I wanted, and what was feesable to me at the time.

A fella' I knew had a old 38-40 Model 1873 Winchester for sale and wanted a grand for it, I looked at the rifle...and the thoughts of the pounding it would take in a cowboy silhouette shoot just didnt set well with me, so I opted not to shell out the grand.

Then I looked at Ubertis beautiful clones of the "73" Winchester, and thought...why spend a grand for a clone, when i can buy a original for about the same price, by my figures, the clone will go down in value, and the original should just go up in value.

I did see a original 92 Winchester in 38-40.. a bit pricey for a rifle with a sewer pipe for a barrel, so i didnt bite.

Last but not least I took a look at the Puma rifles, I asked the clerk if they had any in the back as the one on display was horrific. He brought out 3 specimans, I carefully looked at each of the rifles and decided on the one with the least amount of flaws and for 460.00 and some change took the rifle home.

I didnt have any components for a "45 LC", and to my dismay neither did anyone else!
I bought the loading dies...but could find no Brass, So I called Midway...nuttin...About 3 weeks of puttering around the internet, and i finally gathered up everything needed to load my first box.

I purchased a mold...[ I wont say which ] but suffice to say it shot patterns...not groups....After borrowing a few molds off some buddies i did manage to get some fantastic groups at 100 yds with the rifle.

My Son and I both shoot the Puma 92 clone at our monthly shoot, and I am improving a little at a time with the rifle, and recently purchased a newer "marbles Tang" sight which seems to really help. The rifle has really suprised me, it shoots well, handles well, has a clean smooth action, and a crisp trigger.

The load is 5.5 Gr of Trail boss, with a Lee 255 gr Bullet, CCI primers...and it will punch the chickens clean over the bank, and do it with little recoil.

Who else has one, how does it shoot? Ever shot sillhouettes with it?

Chris

·
Registered
707 Posts
I put alot of thought into purchasing my first PCLA [pistol cartridge lever action] rifle. And chose the big bored 45 colt puma rifle 92 clone.

I had thought long and hard on what I wanted, and what was feesable to me at the time.

A fella' I knew had a old 38-40 Model 1873 Winchester for sale and wanted a grand for it, I looked at the rifle...and the thoughts of the pounding it would take in a cowboy silhouette shoot just didnt set well with me, so I opted not to shell out the grand.

Then I looked at Ubertis beautiful clones of the "73" Winchester, and thought...why spend a grand for a clone, when i can buy a original for about the same price, by my figures, the clone will go down in value, and the original should just go up in value.

I did see a original 92 Winchester in 38-40.. a bit pricey for a rifle with a sewer pipe for a barrel, so i didnt bite.

Last but not least I took a look at the Puma rifles, I asked the clerk if they had any in the back as the one on display was horrific. He brought out 3 specimans, I carefully looked at each of the rifles and decided on the one with the least amount of flaws and for 460.00 and some change took the rifle home.

I didnt have any components for a "45 LC", and to my dismay neither did anyone else!
I bought the loading dies...but could find no Brass, So I called Midway...nuttin...About 3 weeks of puttering around the internet, and i finally gathered up everything needed to load my first box.

I purchased a mold...[ I wont say which ] but suffice to say it shot patterns...not groups....After borrowing a few molds off some buddies i did manage to get some fantastic groups at 100 yds with the rifle.

My Son and I both shoot the Puma 92 clone at our monthly shoot, and I am improving a little at a time with the rifle, and recently purchased a newer "marbles Tang" sight which seems to really help. The rifle has really suprised me, it shoots well, handles well, has a clean smooth action, and a crisp trigger.

The load is 5.5 Gr of Trail boss, with a Lee 255 gr Bullet, CCI primers...and it will punch the chickens clean over the bank, and do it with little recoil.

Who else has one, how does it shoot? Ever shot sillhouettes with it?

Chris

Which Lee mold ? I use both the 200 & the 250 grain Lee RNFP 6 cavity mold .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used the 250 gr lyman cowboy [452460], RCBS 255 SWC and find the Lee "250" [not 255] shoots as well as both of these if not better in my rifle with 5.5 grains of Trail boss.. 50 yd groups are very good, 100 yds spreads them a bit...plenty good for cowboy sillhouette.

For other uses I suppose 18 to 20 grains of IMR 4227 will speed things up a bit, 1150 to 1280 FPS. out of the 24" rifle with a fairly good wallop on deer sized game.

Chris

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
When I bought mine I loaded up a bunch of lapping rounds first.
My load of choice is 20 grains of H110, a 300 grain Saeco GCd, Winchester LR primers.
Been happy ever since.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've run light loads like yours. Also buffalo killers. I've got it loaded with 255 gr swc and 10.5 gr Universal right now for deer hunting.

Love mine.
I was cleaning my garage out yesterday and came across 35 rounds of the exact same recipe that I made last year. I think this will make a dandy round for the ole short rifle.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've got one in .357mag that I'm very happy with. It shoots well and I've taken a couple of deer with it. The site that jmortimer mentioned is a good one and has a fine reputation. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
707 Posts
When I bought mine I loaded up a bunch of lapping rounds first.
My load of choice is 20 grains of H110, a 300 grain Saeco GCd, Winchester LR primers.
Been happy ever since.

Jim
Please explain lapping rounds . Did you coat them with some kind of lapping compound ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few shots with the 45 colt squib loads, Since I have used it mostly for Cowboy sillhouette shooting, i didnt want to beat my self up with it.

Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also if you look close at the "pig" target behind the rifle, you can see 8 shots mid pig shooting the rifle off hand at 50 meters.

Plenty accurate for fun shooting!

In front is an old marlin in 35 remington

Chris

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Please explain lapping rounds . Did you coat them with some kind of lapping compound ?

I bought a lapping kit from Midway that has two steel plate and three grades of lapping compound. I smeared some course compound on on steel plate and rolled 10 of the cast 255 grain slugs, cleaned the plate. Then I smeared some medium compound on the steel plate and rolled 20 cast slugs. Repeated the process using the fine compound with 30 slugs.
I dropped 8 grains of Unique in some primed cases, seated the bullets and headed for the range.
I cleaned the barrel after each ten shot group.
The barrel looked great and proved, at least to me, that I had improved the barrel. I then started working up loads and found 20 grains of H110 did best.

Jim

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a 24in. octagon barreled Puma in 45 colt I bought about 4 years ago, never shot very well, in fact when new couldn't get enough elevation to hit poa at 50yards. Installed a Marbles tang sight and an old Lyman no. 10 gold bead and at least corrected that problem. Did that Steve guys action work and really slicked it up. Still shot "patterns" at 25 yards. Firelapped the bore and now have it shooting 2in groups at 50yards offhand. Pretty good for me. However.....shoots about 2inches right of center with windage all the way to the left. Front sight centered. Called Puma repair and they told me sounded like a barrel to receiver problem, but they couldn't do anything with it as they no longer sell from that importer. Said I may be able to trade it for one of the new ones, just pay the difference in price....you bet, I'll buy another one of these when I see pigs flyin over my place...nice looking wall hanger though..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Simco

I had the same problem with mine, it shot patterns...but I borrowed some molds, and a buddy of mine sent a variety of 45 cal. lead bullets to try, and the Lee 45 250 gr. seem to shoot pretty tight groups out to 50 yds, I'd say 1.5" to 2" solid. consistantly point of aim.

The load opens up at 100 yds..to around 4" groups.. with the light loads I was using,

So for 100 yds, you have to speed them up a bit, say like 1250 to 1350 fps. and they tighten back up to about 2 to 3"...

For a pistol cartridge lever gun I suppose 2" to 3" groups are about average with open iron sights @ 100 yds.

Mine seems to shoot with the sights set all the way right....i did have to drift the front sight over a tad...but...these rifles are not a ton of money compared to others...so perhaps neither one of us got that lucky with the thing... but all and all I like mine well enough.

Chris

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think my Puma would probably shoot a 2in group at 100yds off a bench, my problem is it would probably do it about 8 inches to the right. The last ten rounds I fired through it were more than likely 16 to 1700 fps. 265grSWGC over 25gr h110. Got the bruise on my shoulder for proof. Little bugger hits hard with that crescent shaped steel buttplate. My wife has a 20in carbine in 357 that is a virtual tack driver.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow, That would need a ton of adjustment...perhaps a scope would help, with rear windage adjustment on the base....

Or a good bench vise and a little leverage...:eek: Mines not that far out. Sheesh.

Cant blame ya for not wanting an encore of that performance. Reckon I was lucky.

Sorry to hear yours didnt work out. hope you get it figured out.

Chris

PS.

You might want to try and shim one side of the tang sight...it might help

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh Yea...I've shot the thing with 24 grains of 4227 off the bench.. 250 grain slug.....best if ya wait till you have a cold and the sniffles....cuz it'll knock the snot outta ya!

Peace

Chris

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Of my lever guns the 405 Winchester with a 350 grain cast and case full of 3031 will give me a right good thump. the Winchester 1886 with 445 grain cast and a case full of 4064, 3031, or 4895 gives an enthusiastic push. The Rossi 92 with 20 grains of H110 and 300 grain cast is a pleasure by comparison to the other two.
One of my buddies, an intermitant shooter, the 92 left him with a blue shoulder. He's 5'8" and 250 pounds and I'm 6' and a 175. I think his mass allows him to absorb more recoil where I get pushed backwards.
Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts