Shooters Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
MS 9x56 That's very true in big game. Speed in fuzzy vermin rifles make them FLY!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree that it makes them fly, but doesn't make them any more dead than a 22 long rifle. Speed flattens the trajectory curve, and may cause the bullet to rupture violently but that is all. I never understood the whole speed or magnum craze. I leave that to others as I am a hunter not a sniper.

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
Shooting small targets at long range in variable conditions is more shooting sports than hunting big game, to my way of thinking. I've never taken a shot at a deer or elk at more that 150 yards. I HUNT dark timber.
High velocity and flat trajectories make perfect sense in a PD town and builds shooting skills seldom found in a deer stand.
Just as a personal addition to the skill set---I don't use a range finder. Judging range is part of it to me....as is the distant SMACK of a center hit on a critter that can't be seen but through the scope.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
But speed makes "red mist." :eek: Varmit hunting, just like fine dining, has a "presentation" aspect :p :p :p

·
Registered
407 Posts
Some random thoughts on velocity:
Speed doesn't make the red mist. The size and mass of the bullet compared to the mass of the target and the bullets total destruction makes red mist. Now it does take a certain velocity to destroy a bullet on contact or a bullet that is made to do just that. There are some major differences in hitting a 1 pound dirt rat with with a 50 grain bullet and a target 200 times the mass with a bullet that is only 3 to 4 times the mass shows that bullet size has more to do with red mist than velocity. Hunting prey is completely different from shooting small pests. Death is caused by the size of the hole that is cut by the bullet as it passes through blood bearing tissue or the destruction of the central nervous system. A good heart lung shot will kill the animal in the 30 seconds it take for the brain to be drained of oxygen. A good shot to the brain stem will kill instantly.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,716 Posts
Red mist also occurs inside critters (elk in particular) when hit at too close a range with a well constructed BONDED hunting bullet, ie a 180 grain Accubond or Swift Scirroco II with a muzzle velocity of 3274 fps, at say 250 yards or less there is significant blood shot area around both entry and exit wounds and "jellification" of internals that brings new meaning to DRT.

Not that other smaller calibers/cartridges aren't just as capable of DRT.

Post reaction to the speed of varmint type bullets on ground dwelling vermin is indeed like the ooohs and aaahs when being served savory victuals at a fine food rendering establishment no matter the prior alcoholic intake. Words of endearment like "Holy schnikies", WOWSERS or a first timer's "SONOFAPITCHPINECONE!" are the usual reactions.

Yes, 22lr's kill just as many gophers just as dead as my "big 22's" but IMO you are still "sniping" with a 22lr, maybe more so, because to insure an instant or rapid death one must absolutely make a 95% perfect shot either to the head (which results in the "chicken dance") or heart/lungs which can sometimes mean the slow death crawl back to the hole where retrieving the tail for my 5¢ bounty became impossible and me running from my "hide" to retrieve said tail from the mortally wounded gopher would give up my position.

RJ

Reactions: Darkker and JBelk

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
I can disprove your assertions by shooting small fuzzys with a .177 solid at 4500 +. Fragile bullets help a lot at lower speeds but if the internal (juicy) mass is accelerated more than the external structure can withstand, mist results. The closer the varmint weighs to the bullet, the more mist is created, but not necessarily seen.
Experiments are easy to duplicate and fun to perform.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can see the fun in that at a prarie dog town. I hunt Squirrels to eat but also to hone my stealth and shooting skills. I used to hunt woodchuck with my slug gun to get used to shooting small at different distances. Don't have much opportunity where I live for long distance shooting. Have killed a lot of chucks with a Sako 222. Been thinking about getting a 22-250 for use in foxes and coyotes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Speed kills. Varmints, game and barrels. Everything is a compromise. Everything last longer if a cartridge is loaded 'sensibly'. That seldom involves the highest velocity of which it's capable.
Agree with you. Never understood why people care more about velocity than the accuracy. I spend a lot of money on cut rifled barrels and they burn out fast enough as it is with sensible loads and I sure don't want to shorten it further by shooting hot loads with no improvement in accuracy. The term "speed kills" certainly is applicable when it comes to bullet velocities.

·
The Shadow
7,460 Posts
Agree with you. Never understood why people care more about velocity than the accuracy.
They are here for our entertainment.
You can't tell me you haven't belly laughed at someone who bought a lot of 'stuff', and can't hit the broadside of a barn, but do it really quickly.;):D:D

Cheers

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
That sounds like a day with the gun writers at the Herrett Invitational!

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I've have had a Swift for a long time and three different 17 Remington's, none ever clocked 4000fps. It never bothered me though because a 55gr. bullet at 3800fps never failed to kill anything under 50lbs in what can be described as spectacularly. The 17 Remington with 30gr. Bergers at 3650fps was right with the Swift 90% of the time. Both were solid 350yd pd guns and by that I mean you can hit one in the first or second shot without wasting half a dozen rounds on one rat.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts